What's new

PIONEER VSX-24TX and it Elite Family- are they good? (1 Viewer)

David Susilo

Screenwriter
Fred,
Maybe it's only who doesn't know how to do this, but with my 24TX remote controlling the 500D, all I can do is fast-forward at 2X and not faster than that.
That what annoys me. And that's all. Also occassionally I hear clicks from my DVD player. But this is a minor nuisance. BTW, how's the Panasonic 120 anyways? does it have component out?

David,
The 24TX remote only has 2X pre-programmed for the Sony DVD players. I programmed the slow and fast functions onto four of the number keys and it works better than either the 530 or 550 remote. The 530 remote doesn't have 2X and the 550 remote's jog wheel control of scanning is truly bizzare.
The Panasonic 120 is pretty nice. As with the Sony it has very quick menu access. An apparent advantage is that it passes a 24/96 signal at the digital outputs, which the Sony does not. It also passes the pluge signal, though I really don't think that that is big deal. Two things I don't like: I have not figured out a way to make it auto play CDs (have to press play to start them) and I don't like the anamorphic downconversion. It is slightly sharper than the Sony, movement shows a lot more artifacting. I'm also not sure about how well it deals with DTS. I have had trouble with it staying with the DTS track on the Eagles: Hell Freezes Over (it plays it fine when it is on), and I've had a lot of audio dropouts on the DTS demo DVD. If Sony can figure out the audio sync problem I think I'll go back to a 530 or 550, though I am interested in checking out the Pioneer 525.
Fred

Mark Nelson

Agent
David
In our store the 2109 doesn't show quite the same picture quality as the 414 or 525. It's slightly less detailed and looks "grainier" than the Pioneers. Also the audio quality is noticeably more flat and less dynamic, even using the digital output. Go figure. It's search functions are smoother, however.
MTN

Mark,
Can you compare the 525 with the Sonys and Panasonics with regard to search functions and anamorphic downconversion?
Fred

David Susilo

Screenwriter
Mark,
do you sell any Kenwood DVD player? how does it rate vs Pio's 525 and Sony's 500D? how's the remote translate on the Pio's 24TX remote?
THanX,
Dave

Mark Nelson

Agent
Fred & David S
I'm gonna really strike out here. I haven't had the opportunity to check the 525 (or 414) against the Sony, Kenwood or Panasonic units as we don't sell any of those brands, and I haven't had a customer or rep bring one of those brands into the store. Our decision to carry Toshiba, Denon, Pioneer and Elite (to name a few) was based on a comparison of various recievers, DVD players, TV's, CD players, etc for performance and value over about a 15 year period. My only experience with the new Sony or Panasonic players is in customer's homes where I couldn't take the time to mess around with the functions. The limited time I've spent with these units yielded very little negative reactions. I have never even seen a Kenwood DVD player outside of other retailer's displays.
Sorry for the non-response.
Ni!
MTN

Larry L

Agent
I couldn't let the topic die off, especially since I just got off the phone with Uncles Stereo and ordered my new 24TX!! Am I fired up or what? You have no idea. Should be arriving next week some time. After reading the (seemingly) thousands of replies to this thread and its predecessors, how could I not order it?
Larry

Peter Gregg

Auditioning
Hi,
I have convinced 2 people to buy into the 24TX and helped set them both up. They are both awsome receivers. Now I am ready to buy my own.
Who can answer this question - why would I buy the 27TX when I can almost buy 2 of the 24TX's for the same price? I am itching for the 27TX, but the greatest buy seems to be the 24TX. To confuse the issue, wouldn't the 26TX be a happy compromise?
You know what I like best about the 27TX . . . the motorized volume knob. Then the higher power output. Silly, but I needed to unmasked the reasons. Oh, and third, I want a better (one-upsmanship) receiver than the two I just installed for my brother and a friend.
Thanks,
Peter

Greg,
You answered your own question. You know that the 24TX is a better value, but you want those extra goodies on the 27TX. My thinking was that there wasn't enough difference between the 24 and 26, but the extra cost of the 27 was in "luxury" item that I might like to have but didn't really need.
Fred

Mark Nelson

Agent
Brian:
Looking forward to your visit. No need to kiss my feet, just show me the money! Besides, my feet are so dirty it looks like I am wearing socks when actually I'm not.
Peter:
I bought the 27 for a couple of reasons:
1. I wanted the best that Elite had to offer, but didn't want the touch screen remote of the 29 as it takes up too much space on my lap tray that could otherwise be holding food.
2. I have five 6 ohm towers (and two extra 6 ohm satelites) and wanted the strongest amp/power supply/heat sink combination I could get.
3. I have a large room that gobbles wattage.
Brian(above) is looking at the 24 or 26 to use primarily as a processor since he has Acurus amps, so these are better choices for him. It all comes down to individual needs and wants. You can't miss, in my opinion, with any model in this series. Go for it Dude!
MTN

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
Okay guys...
I've read the archived thread, I've read this thread, I've read the other Elite related threads, I've even looked over Pioneers official site, but there are 2 questions that remin unanswered (specifically for the 24TX):
1) I know the unit has 5 a/v inputs- each equipped with S-Video. Do all of these inputs (DVD/LD, TV/SAT, VCR 1, VCR 2, Video) also have COMPOSITE inputs? Do any of these also have COMPOSITE inputs? Would anyone be willing to post a picture, technical sketch or even just a text description of the back panel of this/these units?
2) There was some discussion regarding the digital/analog autodetection. I currently own a mid/low grade Pioneer VSX-D606S, which is able to autodetect if a feed from a particular input coming from the is analog or digital input- is the 24TX able to do this?
On a small side note: The digital/analog autodetection question was posed in regard to DSS operation-- does any dss reciever pass all signals (for any channel) out the digital output? I don't have a dss reciever yet, but an planning on buying one and had hoped i could simply run the digital output from the dss reciever and never worry about it again- is this not the case??
Thanks guys for a great thread, I wasn't really thinking about an upgrade until I read this info, now I can't wait to off my old reciever and place my order.
-Vince

David Susilo

Screenwriter
Larry L
Nope, although I wish they are thousands of posts, we only have about 420 posts so far :)
BrianSK
September 17? It will still be alive! (I hope; I want this thread to go beyond New Year's day 2000)
Vince Maskeeper
1. On ALL inputs and outputs, the units has both S and Composite connections.
2. Analog/Digital autodetection: not on the 24TX nor 26TX
3. DSS passes all signal as digital, only some signal became PCM, some will be DD 5.1 depending on the source material, of course.
------------------
"I cna ytpe 300 wrods pre mniuet!"
visit KIWI HOUSE studios
visit and see my daughter

Mark Nelson

Agent
Vince
The entire Elite receiver series has both composite and S-video inputs on all A/V inputs as well as on the A/V and monitor outputs. There is no component switching available (Denon has this on their 3300 and 5700 receivers). Elite recievers will not convert S-video to composite or vise-versa(no brand that I know of will). You must connect either or both all the way through to the TV. On-Screen-Display is useable on both S-video out and composite out(except VSX-21, which has no OSD).
Sorry no scanner, can't help with pictures.
I believe all of these receivers perform auto switching on all inputs. I will check on David's assertion regarding the 24&26 today. They prioritize in this way:
In Stereo mode;
Looks for digital input first, then analog. May be manually switched between the two if desired.
In Surround mode;
Looks for digital input first, then analog. Seeks DD/DTS as highest priority, otherwise defaults to DPL. May be manually switched between digital and analog if desired.
I believe both Sony and RCA make DSS receivers that pass DD/PCM audio out of their digital output. I know that Dish Network has models that pass both DD and PCM audio out of their optical digital output. I am using one now.
Hope this helps.
MTN

David Susilo

Screenwriter
OT, but I just bought a DV-05 Elite DVD player, the picture difference is quite astonishing, considering I'm only using a 27" TV.

Tom J. Davis

Second Unit
David, Let us know if you experience the dreaded lip sync problem. If it wasn't for that I would buy a DV-05 in a heartbeat.
I should be purchasing my new Elite receiver in the next few weeks and will buy a DVD shortly thereafter.
Boy I'm excited, I haven't upgraded the electronics in my home theater for about ten years. I'm still using an old Pioneer pro-logic receiver and CLD-D701 laserdisc player.
Thanks goes out to everyone that has contributed to this thread, it has been invaluable in my quest for a new receiver.

David Susilo

Screenwriter
Tom,
Would you kindly tell me some of the titles you experience the lip-sync problem? (also which chapters that you find it worst so I can test them)
Mark,
Can you please verify this?
Thank you,
Dave

Mark Nelson

Agent
David S
I've had my 05 for about 5 months now and have not noticed a lip-synch problem at any time. I also have about 4 customers who own them and come in the store to visit regularly. They have reportedly seen no problem either. This player seems to exceed most peoples expectations, including mine.
Over the last two years I have seen only one blatant example of the lip-synch problem, and that was with a DVL-90 combi player. After much tap dancing, Pioneer authorized an e-prom upgrade to try and fix it. The customer has not been by to visit for more than 8 months, but I feel sure he would have kept me in the loop if the problem had continued.
I have on many occasions and with many different brands and models of DVD player seen "lip-synch" problems that I thought were obvious overdubs of high action outdoor scenes. It's not hard to find these in most action/ adventure flix. Especially after you get over-sensitized to looking for lip-synch problems. Mostly, I just try to relax and enjoy the show and if the problem shows up enough to intrude on my enjoyment, I work on finding out why.
MTN

David Susilo

Screenwriter
Mark,
Just curious, is US$600 a good price for this unit (it's actually US$515 plus 15% taxes in Canada)? That's how much I paid for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation821
Recent bookmarks