What's new

PIONEER VSX-24TX and it Elite Family- are they good? (1 Viewer)

Mark Nelson

Agent
David
You DOG! You payed what amounts to cost plus taxes. I could not(and would not)ever sell one at that price. However you did it you got one HELLUVA deal. Congratulations!
I'm only being slightly hypocritical here since I payed cost for mine, but then again I have to work with this stuff everyday just so I get the good deals.
MTN

David Susilo

Screenwriter
Well, the only reason I got it for that price is because I helped my friend sold approximately US$ 4000 worth of hi-fi merchandise such as blank-VHS, blank Hi-8, VCRs, DVD players, LD players, speakers and TVs within the past 2 months.

David,
What a surprise!! Well now you can answer my questions about downconversion and scanning. Compared with your Sony, how does the 05 perform? For an example to check downconversion, at the 10 minute point in Alien, watch the spaceship go by. Pay attention to the horizontal structures (panasonic and Toshibas are terrible here).
Fred

David Susilo

Screenwriter
Fred,
The answer should wait for several more days for I don't have Alien DVD. (Alien is the first of four movies, right?) I have to borrow the movie from a friend of mine (whom I don't know who has the movie since usually they buy their movies through me.
As far as comparing with Panasonic and Toshiba. I used Dante's peak at approximately the 80-minute mark, at the store, I compared the DV-05 with the 525, Toshiba 3019, Kenwood 2107, my Sony S500D (I brought my player to the store) and the lowest-end Kenwood (can't remember the model number). I compare all of them using Toshiba Cinema Series 27" TV and RPTV (don't know the size) using component input.
My first impressions of Kenwood (low-end model), the disc spin-up time feels like forever, the downconversion is is somewhat like the S500D (somewhat soft) but with a bit more shimmer. The fact that the machine 'say' BYE when I turn off the machine is also quite a turn-off. (two thumbs down!)
Then I moved to the Kenwood 2107, basically the same thing but with looks closer to the Sony (less shimmer than the low-end model), but at that high of a price (nearing DV-05) and the small amount of improvement, I'm not even sure whether the improvement is actually there. Needless to say, this player, to me, is a thumb down.
Toshiba 3109, I don't know why so many people like this machine. The tray doesn't seem to be sturdy enough and although the downconversion is a lot better than the older Toshiba players, I still prefer my S500D than the Toshiba.
(Disclaimer, I always hate Toshiba, I used to own a couple of them and they gave me a lot of problem. The reason I tested this one is because so many people told me that this is a great machine. I guess I'm really biased against this brand to start with, but when I see the flimsiness of the tray and although not worse but merely different look of a downconversion compared to my current player, it kills all my already very little interest of this machine.)
With the Pioneer DV-525, I kinda like the downconversion although for my taste, the color is a bit wash out (just like my S500D).
Then with the Pioneer DV-05, wow! my wife, who couldn't care less about picture quality, who prefers P/S than WS, virtually jumped out and told me that the picture is by far the best amongst all of them (on the big RPTV, but not that far different on the 27" TV). She WAS the one who told me to get the DV-05 than the rest of them (she didn't know the price difference, at the time, the store's price was still about US$720 including taxes).
Now get this, she told me before I gave her my comment about this machine that she hardly can see shimmering in the picture and the image looks more three dimensional.
It gets more exiting, even after knowing the price difference of nearly 100% (the 525 is $373 including taxes), although she doesn't really approve the purchase of DV-05, she honestly told me that she is still leaning more towards the DV-05.
Then my friend told me that since I've helped her quite a bit in selling her stuff in the past 2 months, she can give it to me for US$593 incl. taxes. Before I can say anything, my wife agreed on the price and told my friend that we'll immediately take the DV-05.
We are not loaded, we don't have any disposable income (because of the baby and all), so if I have to buy the DV-05 for its original MSRP of $1000, definitely no, at $720, maybe NOT, but at $593, definitely YES! (hell, the 3109 is about $435 and I don't even like it)
However, about the lip-sync... I can't tell right now because I haven't got the time to watch anything closely, maybe in several days. I'll get back to all of you on that matter.

Peter H

Auditioning
I just bought the VSX-21 and was wondering if someone can help me out. I have read on this thread that you can change the subwoofer setting to "plus" and then in the direct stereo mode the front speakers will receive low frequiencies as well. In going through the menu selection I can only see a setting for selecting the sub on or off. Am I just doing something wrong or does the vsx-21 not offer this option the same as the higher models (I sure hope its the former!)
Thanks in advance for any feedback

Mark Paquette

Supporting Actor
Well, I picked up my 26tx from a local dealer yesterday. Payed slightly more than mail order. Amazing how good ol' fashion American currency can bring the price down significantly. I wasn't comfortable with the warranty situation with the mail order places. I rest easy knowing my $800 purchase will be covered for 2 full years by Pioneer. Now I just need to find the time to set it up! Can't wait.
------------------
There is no spoon...

Basil AJ

Auditioning
Peter, I have the 608, which is the poor twin of the 21. If you set your front speaker to "small", the sub will be active with any source, including direct stereo. Most users like me have a sub/sat configuration at this price level, so it works great.
Good luck.
BJ

Thomas Turner

Auditioning
David, and all others I have an Onkyo 575, but I am not happy with stereo performance. On HT it does fine but still leaves something to be desired.
I am in the market for a new reciever, with all the options, preouts for all channels, THX select, DTS, DD, 24/96. The Pionner 24THX seems to be the one.
My question is where can I get it for $600 plus shippiing.?Also can you select large fronts with a sub output?
Thanks for the help.
------------------
Tomcats Equipment List:
Receiver: Onkyo TX-DS575 Front Speakers: Energy e:XL-16 Subwoofer: Audiosource SW15 Rear Speakers: Energy e:XL-15 Center Channel: Energy e:XL-C VCR: Mitsubishi HS-U545 HI-FI DVD: Pioneer DV-414 CD: Pioneer PD-F1007 TV: Sharp 27'w/Component Inputs Interconnects: Monster Cable.

David Susilo

Screenwriter
I didn't buy my 24TX from the net, and I paid (equivalent to) US$700 plus 15% GST and PST. I bought it from a local Canadian store.

David Susilo

Screenwriter
Sorry guys, my computer's down and I won't have time to fix it for the next few days. I'll be back a.s.a.p. Keep this forum alive, will ya!
THanX,
Dave

David Susilo

Screenwriter
I've just got the chance to watch some scenes using the newly aquired DV-05 (only totalling about 30 minutes, though), but so far, I'm REALLY impressed. More details (hopefully) tonight after I'm done with my teaching for the day.

Mark Nelson

Agent
Brian
The 5.1 channel inputs on the VSX-26TX are provide for use with an external 5.1 decoder to play special analog or DVD sources. Most people will never use it, but some may have an external processor and want to bypass the internal processor.
To our ears, in comparing the Denon 5700 to the VSX-29TX, the difference was very slight and required repeated switching back and forth to identify at all. But because we did the switching blind and the results were consistent we were able to come to an opinion that there was a slightly more "airy" ond "open quality to the 5700.
Whether someone else would reach the same conclusion or want to pay the $800.00 difference is open to debate, but that's what we felt using the M&K S-150THX system in a room measuring 14 ft. by 24 ft. 9in. with a 9ft ceiling and slightly live acoustics.
MTN

AVspec

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mark
What is the best price for the 26TX? My local HIFI shop is asking $999 which is a bit steap for my taste. Can it be had online and would you recommend it? I am close to Del. so I can go there to not pay tax but I would try and get the place to come close to the online going price.
------------------
-Mark
The E.G.G. Page
Electronic Gadgets and Gizmos
Link Removed
www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Ridge/2267/
members.bellatlantic.net/~markkjr/

Mark Paquette

Supporting Actor
Mark Knight-
Put on your negotiators hat. My dealer was asking nine hundred some odd dollars for a 26tx as well. I got him down a bit, but once I offered to pay cash I got him down to $850. The cheapest I found it on the net was $749 at uncles. I was uncomfortable with the warranty situation when mail ordering Elite products. Pioneer has clearly stated they will not honor the warranty on Elite products when mail ordering. So for me the extra $100 was well worth it.
------------------
There is no spoon...

FrankG

Auditioning
Thomas,
I bought the VSX-24TX through UncleStereo last week for $599 + $25 shipping. I received it in 3 days, was told if there was any warranty problems, I could ship it back to Uncle Stereo and they would ship to Pioneer or handle warranty with ALL shipping costs paid by Uncle Stereo! I dealt with Jimmy at EXT 15. He knew alot and answered lot of questions. I was looking at the VSX-21 but am awfully glad I upgraded to the 24. It's an unbelievable value.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks