What's new

Problem with my computer monitor (1 Viewer)

John-M

Stunt Coordinator
I have a problem with my computer monitor, on the edge of the computer screen, the edges shake for some reason making it hard to read on the monitor, does anybody know how to get rid of the shaking edges, it's like a wave on the screen, can anybody help? Thanks! :)

Diallo B

Screenwriter
if you have any magnets or anything like that near your screen then move them further away. sometimes various electronics will make your screen do that. so if you have put anything new like that near your screen lately move it away.

how old is the monitor??? it may just be time for a new one.:frowning:

John-M

Stunt Coordinator
I think the monitor is 3 years old, it has been working until today and there is no magnets anywhere...

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Any flourescent lights near it? Any electrical motors on the same electrical outlet? Any recent changes to your video card or display settings, drivers, etc?

Does it change or go away if you change your resolution or color settings?

KeithAP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Keith
Do you have another outlet that you can plug your computer into? I had a similar problem at work with a monitor, switching electrical outlets solved the problem. I am guessing there was some sort of AC line noise on the circuit.

-Keith

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Do you have a spare monitor you could try, to determine if it's a monitor problem or a computer/video card problem?

John-M

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah, I had a spare monitor and I took the wavy montitor to the other room to check if it will go away, it didn't...

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
Did you reseat the video monitor cable (at the card end and the monitor end)?

Check your refresh rate too...maybe your refresh rate changed, and your monitor doesn't like the new setting?

JohanD

Stunt Coordinator
Make sure there are no motors nearby either, such as a small oscillating fan. Non-shielded speakers can cause problems too. Also if you have something that draws a lot of power on the same circuit you can get display errors. I had a fan plugged into the same outlet one time.. but it was not even close to the monitor it was in the corner of the room. The power draw still caused a small enough surge that my monitor would wobble.

Try to degauss your monitor that may help also. Typically done with the OSD (On screen display).

Check your refresh rate too as some describe, if it is too high it can cause problems. Try changing the resolution, see if that helps.

If you have any spare video cards, swap it out to see if the problem persists. (or alternitavely, plug your monitor into another computer and see if it gets errors there too)

If it is still giving you problems after all of that.. you will need to buy a new monitor.. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks