1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

No image on PT-AT6000E beamer from Yamaha RX-A2080 receiver

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Geert, Jan 14, 2020.

1. Geert

Geert Auditioning

Geert
    Hello there,

This is my very first post on the forum and i hope somebody can shed a light on this puzzle.
    I recently switched from an RX-A3010 to an RX-A2080 for our home theatre setup.
    We are using a Panasonic PT-AT6000E projector and a Raspberry Pi with Kodi as a source. All cables are HDMI.

Untill now, i've been unable to get a picture from the RX-A2080 on the projector. It worked perfectly before on the RX-A3010.
    I've now narrowed it down to a setttings problem on the RX-A2080, but i can't figure it out...

Ruled out: the raspberry pi connected directly to the projector gives a perfect image.
    All the HDMI cables work fine.
    The raspberry pi passing video through the RX-A2080 to a random computer LCD monitor gives a perfect image.
    When the monitor is connected, you can select HDMI off, 1 or 2, 1+2 and the red HDMI lights light up.
    When the projector is connected, you can still select the HDMI out options, but only the red HMDI IN light lights up, none of the OUT lights, and there is no image from the beamer.

I have also tried to switch the HDMI control setting on the RX-A2080 ON or OFF but it does not seem to make a difference....

I'm a bit out of ideas right now, i'm pretty sure it must be a setting on the RX-A2080 but i can't figure it out....

Is there anybody that can help?

thanks a lot in advance,
    Geert

2. JohnRice

JohnRice Executive Producer

John
    Have you connected a monitor you know works and set up the receiver? Surround receivers are so complicated these days, you can't just plug them in and turn them on.

3. Geert

Geert Auditioning

Geert
    Hello, JohnRice, yes, thank you for your kind reply. I do fully understand that modern receivers are not just plug and play. I did do a large part of the setup already, mainly just YPAO calibration still to be done, and as stated above, i ruled out the HDMI OUT as a possible defective part already since it outputs perfectly to a LCD monitor. My best guess it has to do with either HDMI control, ARC, or the Viera link of the Panasonic beamer... but playing with these settings has not rendered success so far.

kind regards
    Geert

4. Edwin-S

Edwin-S Lead Actor
    Supporter

What mode is the receiver in? Mode 1 or mode 2?

If it is in mode 1 and the picture is not displaying properly your manual says to try mode 2. It is odd that the receiver outputs properly to an LCD monitor and not the projector. To me, that points more to a video setting in the projector. That somehow the projector is not detecting the output signal.

You may have to set the input signal to the projector manually so it matches the output signal from the receiver which I believe is RGB/YCbCr over HDMI.

5. Geert

Geert Auditioning

Geert
    Hello Edwin-S,

I have not checked the modes yet. So i guess they are set default (Mode 1 ?). If i understand it right the two modes refer to the DTS-standard used?

The peculiar thing is that everything worked fine with the RX-A3010, and that also the raspberry pi outputs perfectly when i connect it to the projector directly. That would lead us to think the RX-A2080 does something with the signal that the projector does not like.

I also contacted Yamaha support and they suggested to switch HDCP from "auto" to "1.4" for the AV-in used. I tried that and it did not work.

kind regards
    Geert

6. Edwin-S

Edwin-S Lead Actor
    Supporter

I should have specified that I was referring to the 4K mode. However, thinking about it, it shouldn't matter as your PJ is 1920x1080.

Page 143 of your manual describes where you can see information on what signal is being input and output over the HDMI connection.

It should also show the supported video formats by the connected display device. See if it shows any discrepancies between what is being output by the receiver and what the projector can accept.

7. Geert

Geert Auditioning

Geert
    Tonight i tried to place a Yamaha RX-V671 between the Pi and the beamer. Also this receiver worked as soon as i had connected everything, no need for any settings change. This RX-A2080 makes me go crazy....

8. JohnRice

JohnRice Executive Producer

John
    You might want to run a factory reset on the A2080.

9. Edwin-S

Edwin-S Lead Actor
    Supporter

The receiver is most likely upscaling to 4K. If your projector cannot take a 4K signal and down convert it back to 1080p then you may not get a picture.

You may have to manually set the resolution in the receiver so it will pass the 1080p signal natively to the projector.

The rx-v671 works because the maximum native resolution of the receiver is 1080p.

Was your test monitor a computer monitor or was it a TV? Some TVs can take a 4K signal and down convert to HD.

10. Edwin-S

Edwin-S Lead Actor
    Supporter

Also can that projector handle 10 and 12 bit video? The 4K Mode 1 sends 4K/60 4:4:4 as 8 bits. There is another video standard sent as 8 bits and all others are sent as 10 or 12 bits.

4K mode 2 does not send 4:4:4 video. There is another standard that it also does not transmit. I cannot remember off hand what it was. Other video modes are sent as 8 bits while (I believe) 4:2:0 is sent as 10 or 12 bit.

Page 161 of your manual details the 4K modes of that receiver.

11. Geert

Geert Auditioning

Geert
    Hello Edwin-S, the test monitor was a computer monitor 1920x1080 resolution. Thanks for your input, I'll run some more tests tonight... kind regards, Geert

Edwin-S likes this.
  12. Geert

Geert Auditioning

Geert
    Another test i ran tonight: i'm getting the same thing (no picture on the Panasonic projector) with an RX-A780. This same RX-A780 plays perfectly on a Panasonic 50" plasma TV. So is this a problem with all models of the aventage xx80 series?
    I you wonder were i get all these receivers - the RX-V671 and RX-A3010 have been replaced by the RX-A780 and RX-A2080...

13. Geert

Geert Auditioning

Geert
    I tried to set the resolution to AUTO and to 1080p in the receiver, both don't work. Also remarkable is that, when i attach both projector and an LCD monitor to HDMI OUT 1 and 2 of the receiver, i don't even get an image on the LCD screen. When only the monitor is attached and not the projector, i do get a picture on the LCD screen.

14. Geert

Geert Auditioning

Geert
    factory reset does not make a difference either

15. Geert

Geert Auditioning

Geert
    Problem finally diagnosed.... the RX-A2080 works when i move it towards to the projector and i attach it with a short 3m HDMI-cable.
    The cable that is in the wall is 15m long, category 2 - 4K capable cable. The RX-A3010, the RX-V671 and the Raspberry Pi work perfectly with that cable. But it seems the Yamaha RX-xx80 series don't like long cables so much as the "older" series Aventage (or other) Yamaha receivers. We live to learn. Now i need to find an elegant solution, as i am stuck with the 15m cable in the wall. I guess there is something as an HDMI signal booster or such?