What's new

3.56:1 monitor - will it revive interest in ultra-widescreen formats? (1 Viewer)

Colin Dunn

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Colin Dunn
Today I saw an ad for a very wide, curved widescreen monitor, 5120x1440 (3.56:1), $800 for a 49" size. It is basically the same as putting two 27" 1440p monitors next to each other, getting that kind of desktop real estate in a single, very wide panel. Wider than any widescreen cinema format, including 70mm and Cinerama.
I know these are usually intended for racing / flight sim gaming, to occupy nearly the entire field of view of the player.
But I got to wondering - if these can be mass-produced at scale, why has that not caught on for constant image height in TVs / projectors as well?
A constant image height projector probably wouldn't sell in huge numbers, but a 3.56:1 computer monitor seems like a rather niche product as well.
I'm not an expert in these things, but nothing I have read about the digital video / digital cinema workflow ever covers aspect ratios wider than 2.35:1.
Could gamers be the ones to generate the demand for super-widescreen displays in the home?

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Hollywood had two opportunities to give enthusiasts (ultra) widescreen formats with explicit encoding for 2K and 4K resolutions at aspect ratios besides 16:9. They didn’t. Physical media is in decline and it’s never going to be dominant again. And there’s zero interest I see in making this happen for streaming or digital distribution.

YANG

Screenwriter
definitely no.
the curved display is considerably a substitute to VR Goggles to provide panoramic view to any gaming where it pulls the sides to any pictures, be it in 1.85, 1.77, 1.66, or 2.35, 2.39, 2.76, 2.0, 2.2 to fill up the sides to the angled screen such that it minimize the discomfort to those who wears the VR Goggles where the light is too close to the eyes.
on job or work, UWM gives a bigger work space for more open windows of different apps to smooth any complex work process where the worker will often cross reference to different opened window for datas.

my HiSense TV comes with 21:9 and 32:9 modes that it mimics those presentation of Ultra Widescreen Monitors on a regular 16:9 TV. the results are very distorted, when a 16:9/4:3 signals is fed into it. theoretically, when the display mode is set to 21:9, static blackbars should roll in from top and bottom to come to a 21:9 formation without distorting the picture of any origin of the source, 16:9 or 4:3. such that if a 16:9 movie will be cropped to a letterboxed 2.39:1 presentation or 4:3 movie will be cropped to a window-boxed 1.85:1 presentation... unfortunately, the processing chip engineers doesn't seems to realize this...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks