Pre/Pre or reciver

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mark gas, Aug 9, 2002.

1. Mark gas

Mark gas Second Unit

Here's the Dilemma I have $1400 ( around 700 US if I include shipping taxes and duty) So I can buy a Marantz AV 560 pre/pro that only has DD/DTS for around 600 and by a 5 channel Parasound amp and maybe upgrade the pre/pro down the road or spent all the money on a Receiver. Also I will be building Adire audio or Audux TH speakers. What do you think I should do get a receiver or get the pre/pro?

2. Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz Producer
    Supporter

Dave Moritz
    Depends on your goal? Are you just getting something for now, and then ungrading in the near future? The Marantz pre/pro and the Parasound amp sounds like a solid choice. Is the Marantz 5.1 or 6.1? If you buy a reciever your amplification section will not be as robust. If you can afford the pro/pro route I would go that route as long as you have the current surround capabilities. The recievers are going to usually have nice processors and good surround modes. I would look at the power output of the recievers and what you are getting for the money. But in the end the pre/pro is the best IMHO.

3. Mark gas

Mark gas Second Unit

The Marantz is only 5.1 and I think thats fine with me. I could also spend $600 Can on a receiver and use that as a pre/pro but what would do a better job?

4. Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz Producer
    Supporter

Dave Moritz
    I would take the Marantz pre/pro so when you are ready to upgrade all you have to do is change your pre/pro and keep your power amp. In most cases the pre/pros are better quality that the receivers. But the flagship receivers do have some really nice features not found in most pre/pros. But then you have to be willing to fork out the cash for a flagship reciever. And even then I would run better amps with a flagship reciever. The only reason I am looking at a flagship receiver is because I cant afford both the pre/pro and a amp on the same visit to the store. Anyway I am rambeling on here, lol.
    IMHO I would buy the Marantz pre/pro and the get the Parasound amp. There are not alot of 6.1 material out right now and IMHO I think most movies will continue to be 5.1 for now. Later on down the road I would look into getting 6.1 or 7.1. The new Sunfire pre/pro is 7.1 but it is aprox. $3500. I am personally running a Yamaha 995 5.1 reciever for now. I am looking at the following peices to upgrade my surround:
    Denon 5803 Reciever
    Pioneer Elite 49TX Reciever
    Sunfire Theater 3 Pre/Pro
    Hope I was of some help Mark, would love to hear how it all works out for ya.[​IMG]

5. Kevin. W

Kevin. W Screenwriter

Mark,

I would go for the pre/pro, more because the material that is 6.1 and up is few and far between. Does your hometheater space have room for a 6th speaker? If not then 5.1DD/DTS will do you fine. The pre/pro will also bring you a better resale price. Since the Marantz is a discontinued item I would try to negotiate a cheaper price, especially if your going with an amp also. I have the Marantz 560U pre/pro myself and have been quite pleased with what it has to offer. The remote that it comes with is a work of art. Which parasound amp are you looking at? I have a Rotel RMB-1066(6x60...3x150) that I use with my pre/pro. If you lived in the Hamilton area I would invite you over to see how the setup works before you buy.

Kevin

6. Kevin. W

Kevin. W Screenwriter

Mark,

Checkout the Hardware forsale section. A fellow member has a Parasound Pre/pro. If you could talk him down a little it maybe worth it. Though with the Marantz you get the wonderful RC-18SR remote, which is a work of art. I really enjoyed it till I got my Marantz RC5000i which in itself is awesome.

Kevin