What's new

Pre/Pre or reciver (1 Viewer)

Mark gas

Second Unit
Here's the Dilemma I have $1400 ( around 700 US if I include shipping taxes and duty) So I can buy a Marantz AV 560 pre/pro that only has DD/DTS for around 600 and by a 5 channel Parasound amp and maybe upgrade the pre/pro down the road or spent all the money on a Receiver. Also I will be building Adire audio or Audux TH speakers. What do you think I should do get a receiver or get the pre/pro?

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Depends on your goal? Are you just getting something for now, and then ungrading in the near future? The Marantz pre/pro and the Parasound amp sounds like a solid choice. Is the Marantz 5.1 or 6.1? If you buy a reciever your amplification section will not be as robust. If you can afford the pro/pro route I would go that route as long as you have the current surround capabilities. The recievers are going to usually have nice processors and good surround modes. I would look at the power output of the recievers and what you are getting for the money. But in the end the pre/pro is the best IMHO.

Mark gas

Second Unit
The Marantz is only 5.1 and I think thats fine with me. I could also spend $600 Can on a receiver and use that as a pre/pro but what would do a better job?

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I would take the Marantz pre/pro so when you are ready to upgrade all you have to do is change your pre/pro and keep your power amp. In most cases the pre/pros are better quality that the receivers. But the flagship receivers do have some really nice features not found in most pre/pros. But then you have to be willing to fork out the cash for a flagship reciever. And even then I would run better amps with a flagship reciever. The only reason I am looking at a flagship receiver is because I cant afford both the pre/pro and a amp on the same visit to the store. Anyway I am rambeling on here, lol.
IMHO I would buy the Marantz pre/pro and the get the Parasound amp. There are not alot of 6.1 material out right now and IMHO I think most movies will continue to be 5.1 for now. Later on down the road I would look into getting 6.1 or 7.1. The new Sunfire pre/pro is 7.1 but it is aprox. $3500. I am personally running a Yamaha 995 5.1 reciever for now. I am looking at the following peices to upgrade my surround:
Denon 5803 Reciever
Pioneer Elite 49TX Reciever
Sunfire Theater 3 Pre/Pro
Hope I was of some help Mark, would love to hear how it all works out for ya.:D

Kevin. W

Screenwriter
Mark,

I would go for the pre/pro, more because the material that is 6.1 and up is few and far between. Does your hometheater space have room for a 6th speaker? If not then 5.1DD/DTS will do you fine. The pre/pro will also bring you a better resale price. Since the Marantz is a discontinued item I would try to negotiate a cheaper price, especially if your going with an amp also. I have the Marantz 560U pre/pro myself and have been quite pleased with what it has to offer. The remote that it comes with is a work of art. Which parasound amp are you looking at? I have a Rotel RMB-1066(6x60...3x150) that I use with my pre/pro. If you lived in the Hamilton area I would invite you over to see how the setup works before you buy.

Kevin

Kevin. W

Screenwriter
Mark,

Checkout the Hardware forsale section. A fellow member has a Parasound Pre/pro. If you could talk him down a little it maybe worth it. Though with the Marantz you get the wonderful RC-18SR remote, which is a work of art. I really enjoyed it till I got my Marantz RC5000i which in itself is awesome.

Kevin

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks