What's new

New HT/Audio system in pre-wired house (1 Viewer)

orthokneepa

Auditioning
Real Name
Matt Mazurczak
I have to admit I am extremely new to this so bear with me. I just bought a new house and Im starting to peice togther my audio/video set up.I have done some research but have many questions about my potential setup/reciever. I dont need super top of the line equipment but dont want to have buy things twice. After talking to a couple of people it sound like I will need a 2 zone reciever for what I want to do.

First goals of set up/rooms set up.

1st room:

Great room with 20 foot ceiling.
Just purchased Samsung 55 LED TV Model# UN55C6300SF which is going above the fire place.(Fire place is only 4 feet tall and there is really no other good place to put it)
Blue Ray DVD player (most likely will go wireless)
Would eventually like 5-7 in wall speakers which I would install myself in 3-6 months once Im settled in.
Would like the ability to hook up an I pod to the reciever.
Reciver recommendation needed.

Other rooms:
Have in celing speaker system set up with approx 10 speakers that came with the house. Not sure what kind they are or even the quality. I can check on that. I would like to control these also as well as future out door speakers with the same reciever that will be in the great room for the above set up. It was recommended that I use a speaker switch box to pick the rooms for partys etc.

Now, any suggestions for a reciever/ in wall speakers for the above set up? Ive heard good things about Denon, Yamaha, and Onkyo recievers but get lost when looking at all the models and options. Also would I need an amplifier for a value/mid range system?
In a couple years I do plan on building a dedicated home theater in the basement but would like something decent for now.

Thanks! If I left any details out or need more info let me know.

orthokneepa

Auditioning
Real Name
Matt Mazurczak
Also is a processor necessary or a better option then a reciever? Does it take the place of a reciever?

Thanks

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
I'm not sure what you mean by "a processor". Are you talking about an external video processor? An audio equalizer?

A receiver is an amplifier, which also has other features. So there would be no reason to add another one. Onkyo, Denon and Yamaha are all good brands, but most of them will only handle an "A" and "B" set of speakers. You're looking for a more complicated mutli-zone setup. I am going to move this thread from the "Beginners" section to the HT projects section, because this is really more a construction/design question than a real starter question. You might want to think about doing a simpler whole house audio system to tie into those ceiling speakers for music, and make the HT system its own entity. Also see if you can get a local specialty company to come in and give you a free quote on setting up a system.

Blue Ray DVD player (most likely will go wireless)

I assume you're talking about a wireless internet connection here.

Regards,

Joe

CB750

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bill
Welcome Matt.

Those of us who are serious about our Home Theater experience are many times at odds with interior designers and articles you might see in Home and Garden Magazines. Not to take the wind out of your sails but two things about your proposed set up need to be reviewed.

1. Mounting your 55" LCD above a four foot fireplace mantle is far to high off the ground. Granted most fireplaces are located in the focal point of a room and it might look like a good use of wasted space. But after a few hours of TV viewing you are going to have a stiff neck. You need to find another location for the TV so that it is mounted or sits on a stand so that when seated your eye are about level with the middle of the TV screen. This is reason that most TV stands are between 24" to 30" high.
  2. Their is nothing wrong with having your home pre wired for your HT. But most of us would advise against the use of in ceiling and in wall speaker installations. These type of speakers have their use but they are best for Dentist offices, malls and for low background music. You are going to get a much better sound experience with stand alone speakers and will have many more choices and price ranges to choose from.

csintegrators

Auditioning
Real Name
Victor Alvarado
I agree with bill on all points, and just want to add, you have two choice... whole house audio (sonos would be a good fit for this. ) or a 2 zone receiver, anything will do as long as it has a zone 2 preamp out. an amplifier that can handle all your speakers.. and, here is the big x factor.... did they prewire to the walls for volume controls and then go to the ceilings for speakers? if so, your good, just add a volume control in each room. then turn on your zone 2, select your source, turn up the volume in rooms you want it in. hope i could help for the other rooms.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks