What's new

Guys I need some help on my brand new "bought today"Carver Cinema Seven Signatur Amp. (1 Viewer)

Shannon W

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Shannon
Ok Guy tell me what im doing wrong. I just bought this amp new from Ultimate Electronics in Fairview Height, Il. At a Steal $1850 + tax. when I got home "after driving 90" i got everything hooked up and guess what "Nothing happend" I cant get this amp to power up. For now I'm using my Sony STR-DA4ES reciver as my pre amp untill I get some more cash for one with balenced out puts.
so far I've made sure that 12 trigger on the pre-amp is showing on in the menu with no luck. I've also tried to flip the switch on the back of the amp to the Manual on and still no power. So what gives? I would hate to have to send this thing in on the first day I got it. also I cant exchange it for this was there last one and there no longer a Carver dealer. But they told me that if I had any problem they would send it in for service.
For my trigger I useing the cable that looks like a head phone cable But i don't know if this is the right one. also If I fliped the switch the amp should have powered up manualy right? Thanks Shannon
Let me know what you guys think because I want to find out ASAP how my Polk LSi Speakers Like the 800 wpc LoL. They will have to like it better then the 80 wpc they have had most of there life.

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
Shannon

Sorry to hear about your problem.
Does it have a detachable power cord? If so, make sure it is fully seated in the back of the amp.

I can't really tell what your trigger cable is, but that should not matter in Manual mode. If the power cord is fully seated in the amp and your electrical outlet is live, the unit should turn on.

I would disconnect all the speaker wires and see if it will power-up in manual mode. You can't hurt it by turing it on without any speakers connected. If not, it needs repaired.

Shannon W

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Shannon
Arthur S:
Thanks for the Reply. Guess what? Boy I feel stupid. I started pulling out the fuses and checking the continuity on them and guess witch ones was blown. You guessed it the AC line power fuse and both current source fuses were blown. Went to the local radio shack and they had the exact Ac line fuse but they only had the 6 amp instead of the 6 1/4 amp fuse for the current source. But I though the 1/4 amp less would not hurt and might give me a little bit more added security. So right now I'm letting the LSi9's stretch there legs a little bit. I'm kind of afraid to let it rip too much for I don't know how there going to like the power that’s there to be put to them. I know that the amp will do 800x7 @ 4 ohm at peak power but as we all know that these speakers or only rated at 250 watts. LoL. Opp's I guess I went a little bit over board on the amp but the Money was right and it was still cheaper then the outlaw 7700. Now I just have to come up with the cash for the carver Theater Grand V. anyone out there have this pre/amp, and if so how do you like it. I have a guy that is a carver dealer that sells his stuff at %30 off retail. Thanks again guys! Shannon

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
Glad to hear it was only fuses. You got a great buy on the Signature Seven.

Regarding a new pre/pro, in my humble opinion, there is not much to be gained from using balanced inputs for ordinary home theater use. If you had to run your signal cables 50 feet, it might make a difference.

If there is something besides balanced outputs that you are seeking, what would it be?

Here is a link to a post in which one guy tried 26 processors including 2 Sunfires. His focus is on music reproduction, more so than HT.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=707173

For HT use, I would not expect startling differences in processors. One feature that clearly makes an audible difference is room/speaker equalization. I don't think I would buy anything that did not have that feature, but that's just me.

If you feel compelled to get a processor so you can use the balanced inputs, I would suggest that the point of diminishing returns is ~$1,000, i.e., Outlaw/Sherwood.

Shannon W

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Shannon
Arthur:

Thanks For the info. I might just now save the money on the Preamp and buy the velodyne SMS-1 Digital Drive control and a new SvS sub. Thanks Shannon

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
:emoji_thumbsup: Congrats on the great deal on the Carver Signature Seven amp :emoji_thumbsup:
Glad to hear that it was only a fuse issue, if you have any concerns on the fuses I would contact Carver and get there input. But I wouldn't think it would be harmfull in any way. Its not like you are putting in a higher rated fuse which would be bad.

Enjoy your new amp. :D

arjun

Auditioning
Dont worry about the ratings of your speaker. Most of the time you will be using less than 5 watts of the 800 watts (depending on your room size). Only during the dynamic scenes will you be taxing a few hundred watts (at most) of the amp. So your speakers are safe. And also before you see how your speakers like the 800 watts, your ears will tell you if they like it or not. The ear drums will blow far ahead of the drivers on your speakers. So rest easy you are safe from any harm to your speakers.

Cheers,
AJ.

Shannon W

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Shannon
Guys thanks For the Input. I tried to contact carver today with not luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks