What's new

"Porgy and Bess" restoration (1 Viewer)

cinemel1

Second Unit
Real Name
Mel Matsil
Between 5 and 10 years ago a screening was held at NY’s Ziegfeld Theater. It was shown because a new biography of Otto Preminger was being published. We were told that it wasn’t a Todd AO print. I can’t remember whether it was in stereo, but the PQ was decent. It seemed to be the full roadshow version as it even had the intermission.
I think the picture gets a bad rap as the audience seemed to enjoy it. It’s very statically filmed, lots of long takes, not much cutting. The music is beautifully sung: Robert
McFerrin as Porgy, Adele Addison as Bess, Diahnn Carroll is dubbed, Pearl Bailey and Sammy Davis, Jr. as Maria and Sportin’ Life. Of course, the soundtrack album does not contain the full score, but what is there is fine and in stereo. The soundtrack album has Cab Calloway singing Sammy Davis’ songs as he was under contract to Decca and the soundtrack was on Columbia. Sammy Davis came out with his own Decca album of selections from the film (not soundtrack).

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
That Ziegfeld showing was in late 2007, and the print was, excuse the layman’s term, “warped” — which resulted in only one part of the image at a time being in focus. (I welcome a correction from someone who can better explain it.) It was nice to see it again, at a price paid in Excedrin.

Last edited:

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
EFFF59D6-88F5-405B-A4AC-7139D7E0DCFD.png

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks