What's new

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
While one might lay blame upon a past set of executives at Universal for the wholesale destruction of their silent film library c. 1948, one must give credit to the current regime for funding a new restoration from the finest extant film elements of the 1923 silent classic The Hunchback of Notre Dame.

There will be no numerical grade for image, as I'm pleased to have anything on this film, which has been seen in the past in almost unviewable states.

The source element is an original 16mm print, worn, occasional splices, but with far more image clarity than I've ever seen.

That's the good news.

There is no bad news.

This (for the uninformed) is the original Lon Chaney version of the film. Mr. Chaney started in the cinema 1912-13, making a number of short films for director Allan Dwan. He made numerous films for Rex, Victor and Bison, before joining The Universal Film Manufacturing Company in 1916, and remaining there for some of his greatest achievements, with loan-outs or side ventures with a few other major production entries including Goldwyn and Paramount until he joined M-G-M in 1924, returning to Universal in '25 for The Phantom of the Opera.

The synchronized score works beautifully, and is in stereo.

With the exception of the Flicker Alley release, old home video releases on the film are now officially coasters.

Please support film restoration, Universal and Kino by adding a copy to your library.

Image – n/a

Audio – n/a

Pass / Fail – Pass

Upgrade from DVD - Yes

Very Highly Recommended

RAH

Last edited:

richardburton84

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jack
I’ve been anxious to see this version of Hunchback for some time, but have putting it off because just every transfer up till now has been terrible (I once stumbled upon an transfer with opening credits obviously made on PowerPoint and erroneously list William Wyler as the main director instead of Wallace Worsley). I’m glad to hear that this new edition passes your test Robert, and am looking forward to finally seeing this. Now, let’s hope Universal can pull a similar rescue for the actual 1925 version of Chaney’s Phantom of the Opera (most restorations thus far have been based on the 1929 reissue version).

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I’ve been anxious to see this version of Hunchback for some time, but have putting it off because just every transfer up till now has been terrible (I once stumbled upon an transfer with opening credits obviously made on PowerPoint and erroneously list William Wyler as the main director instead of Wallace Worsley). I’m glad to hear that this new edition passes your test Robert, and am looking forward to finally seeing this. Now, let’s hope Universal can pull a similar rescue for the actual 1925 version of Chaney’s Phantom of the Opera (most restorations thus far have been based on the 1929 reissue version).
Phantom. Aware of no quality elements beyond re-issue. More knowledgeable folks than I have looked into this.

RichMurphy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rich
Have seen parts of the film when it was spoofed on Jay Ward's Fractured Flickers. Now i want to see it for Lon Chaney's performance and listen to the commentary on it.
I just watched "Dinky Dunstan Boy Cheerleader" on YouTube, and it was as fun as I remembered (although now politically incorrect in places). I need to dig out my old DVD box set of the Fractured Flickers series. I loved hearing all of the Jay Ward voice talent again.

The print they used was pretty rough. I look forward to seeing how Kino's new release of the film looks by comparison.

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
I just watched "Dinky Dunstan Boy Cheerleader" on YouTube, and it was as fun as I remembered (although now politically incorrect in places). I need to dig out my old DVD box set of the Fractured Flickers series. I loved hearing all of the Jay Ward voice talent again.

The print they used was pretty rough. I look forward to seeing how Kino's new release of the film looks by comparison.
Lon Chaney Jr. was not happy about it and attempted unsuccessfully to sue Jay Ward over it.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
https://www.kinolorber.com/product/the-hunchback-of-notre-dame-blu-ray

1630254078383.png

warnerbro

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Darrell
I ordered it even though I have the Flicker Alley which is good, but Robert Harris says this will have "additional restorative efforts." I'm always hoping for improvement. And it has a commentary. I wish they'd include the 1930s sound and effects disc. It is pretty cool.

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
I have the Flicker Alley Blu-ray, I am curious to know if the KL release surpasses it. Most have speculated that it will (or has)

I too have this Blu-ray edition, very well done I hope that KL can deliver, what should be a better visually correct edition but, again, Flicked Alley did a wonderful version with BLackHawk films help. At this point it's a wait and see attitude. I'd love to see it slighly cleaner, and the gray scale better asdusted. They did the best they could, with the elements provided 16mm stock. Like many films of this period, co-opperation from societies around the world seems to yeild the greatest sources of footage for films like The Golem, Phantom of the Opera, the Theif of Bagdad, or the BLack Pirate.

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
While one might lay blame upon a past set of executives at Universal for the wholesale destruction of their silent film library c. 1948, one must give credit to the current regime for funding a new restoration from the finest extant film elements of the 1923 silent classic The Hunchback of Notre Dame.

There will be no numerical grade for image, as I'm pleased to have anything on this film, which has been seen in the past in almost unviewable states.

The source element is an original 16mm print, worn, occasional splices, but with far more image clarity than I've ever seen.

That's the good news.

There is no bad news.

This (for the uninformed) is the original Lon Chaney version of the film. Mr. Chaney started in the cinema 1912-13, making a number of short films for director Allan Dwan. He made numerous films for Rex, Victor and Bison, before joining The Universal Film Manufacturing Company in 1916, and remaining there for some of his greatest achievements, with loan-outs or side ventures with a few other major production entries including Goldwyn and Paramount until he joined M-G-M in 1924, returning to Universal in '25 for The Phantom of the Opera.

The synchronized score works beautifully, and is in stereo.

With the exception of the Flicker Alley release, old home video releases on the film are now officially coasters.

Please support film restoration, Universal and Kino by adding a copy to your library.

Image – n/a

Audio – n/a

Pass / Fail – Pass

Upgrade from DVD - Yes

Very Highly Recommended

RAH
I bought the Flicker Alley release and will buy this edition in hopes of a slightly upgraded presentation!! Thanks for the info.

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
Curious: because they used a 16mm print, does that mean no 35mm print is extant, or just that the 16mm was in better shape?

Would it make any difference to superimpose the 16mm over the 35mm to get all the picture?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks