What's new

OMG Just received this from Gershwin Estate 1959 Porgy and Bess! They want it restored! (1 Viewer)

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
Hello Robert

Thank you for your email to the Gershwin website.

Please understand that the Gershwin estates are very interested in, and very supportive of, a restoration and showing of Samuel Goldwyn’s 1959 movie adaptation of Porgy and Bess; however, the high-quality work this important motion picture needs and deserves is prohibitively expensive. The Gershwin estates would welcome proposals and financing from established companies that specialize in film restoration, however at this point we have received none.

In addition, any restoration would also require the approve of the Goldwyn Film Company, which the Gershwin estates have no authority over.

Many thanks for your interest. This is a project we are constantly trying to move forward and will continue to do so.

- The Gershwin Families

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
Hello Robert

Thank you for your email to the Gershwin website.

Please understand that the Gershwin estates are very interested in, and very supportive of, a restoration and showing of Samuel Goldwyn’s 1959 movie adaptation of Porgy and Bess; however, the high-quality work this important motion picture needs and deserves is prohibitively expensive. The Gershwin estates would welcome proposals and financing from established companies that specialize in film restoration, however at this point we have received none.

In addition, any restoration would also require the approve of the Goldwyn Film Company, which the Gershwin estates have no authority over.

Many thanks for your interest. This is a project we are constantly trying to move forward and will continue to do so.

- The Gershwin Families
SO is their any players that could make this happen ---- Scorsese Lucas Foundation Spielberg and film studios willing to step up to do this to get vid rights? Let see who is willing to save our film heritage must be someone in film that would save this!

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
SO is their any players that could make this happen ---- Scorsese Lucas Foundation Spielberg and film studios willing to step up to do this to get vid rights? Let see who is willing to save our film heritage must be someone in film that would save this!
You’re stepping into very muddy waters. Keep an eye out for ‘gators!

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo

Strange their take is we are constantly trying to move forward -- you know Goldwyn estate might want to see it released

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
Extremely interesting prospect, with many different hurdles that would still need to be jumped through to make this a possibility. RAH explained all that quite well in the restoration for Clara Bow’s “It” thread 2 out of 3 isn’t going to cut it.

First funding is needed, as you stated who's going to step up to the plate to fund this.

Second requires artistic talent in the means of restoration required for the title, as the caveat says, great work is neither cheap nor fast.

And 3rd, is this going to be like a few other titles that have had restorations that were never seen publicly after it was restored. I think we know the company that I might be describing but we won't call them out by name.

Thank God I reread the thread before I started to post this, so here's another question that needs to be posed, are the two estates Gershwin and Goldwyn in communication with each other over this, there would have to be an agreement between the two of them before anything could possibly move forward.

And if this was to happen, and it was to get an HD release. Would this fall in line with the deal that Warner Brothers has with Goldwyn?

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
Extremely interesting prospect, with many different hurdles that would still need to be jumped through to make this a possibility. RAH explained all that quite well in the restoration for Clara Bow’s “It” thread 2 out of 3 isn’t going to cut it.

First funding is needed, as you stated who's going to step up to the plate to fund this.

Second requires artistic talent in the means of restoration required for the title, as the caveat says, great work is neither cheap nor fast.

And 3rd, is this going to be like a few other titles that have had restorations that were never seen publicly after it was restored. I think we know the company that I might be describing but we won't call them out by name.

Thank God I reread the thread before I started to post this, so here's another question that needs to be posed, are the two estates Gershwin and Goldwyn in communication with each other over this, there would have to be an agreement between the two of them before anything could possibly move forward.

And if this was to happen, and it was to get an HD release. Would this fall in line with the deal that Warner Brothers has with Goldwyn?
Yep ---- I emailed Goldwyn Films too - would warners be interested in restoring the film for vid rights? its back at YES we want to see it but we do not want to pay for it but this is one film that has tons of interest still as it has not been seen in quality for decades it could get play in theaters and to blu ray 4k dvd streaming so it might be money maker

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
Strange their take is we are constantly trying to move forward -- you know Goldwyn estate might want to see it released
agreed, for the right price!! Doesn't MGM fall under WB? If you notice the phrasing used
"however, the high-quality work this important motion picture needs and deserves is prohibitively expensive" And the fact of MGM needed in green lighing the project "any restoration would also require the approve of the Goldwyn Film Company, which the Gershwin estates have no authority over."
After all of that maybe another studio could farm it out to Criterion or even better Scorsese's foundation would be another nice fit, if you read thier mission statment...

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
2024 would be that 65th anniversary
WOW that escaped me - what is frustrating is remembering WPIX tv in NYC airing this on holidays and Sundays 1970s with other Goldwyns interesting THE Bosley Crowther reviewed the film was not crazy about it but reviewed it again and gave it a much better review

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
agreed, for the right price!! Doesn't MGM fall under WB? If you notice the phrasing used
"however, the high-quality work this important motion picture needs and deserves is prohibitively expensive" And the fact of MGM needed in green lighing the project "any restoration would also require the approve of the Goldwyn Film Company, which the Gershwin estates have no authority over."
After all of that maybe another studio could farm it out to Criterion or even better Scorsese's foundation would be another nice fit, if you read thier mission statment...
The question is does anyone in HOLLYWOOD value the film? To save it? To show it - to release it ONCE again its all over the net and that is a shame

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
2024 would be that 65th anniversary
We have been told Gershwin Estate did not want it out so now we know that was false - U make a great point it gets restored and then locked away? No who ever steps up would need theatrical showings video maybe debut of TCM etc they see dollar signs that will go a long way

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
After all of that maybe another studio could farm it out to Criterion or even better Scorsese's foundation would be another nice fit, if you read thier mission statement...

least we all forget that MGM is now owned wholly by Amazon's $8.45 billion purchase of MGM is complete and the studio is now part of the ecommerce giant.

Maybe Jeff Bezos, could fund it, with plenty of change to spare. ;)

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
The question is does anyone in HOLLYWOOD value the film? To save it? To show it - to release it ONCE again its all over the net and that is a shame
Being from the New York area, musicals are more sacred to you because of your shared history. It seems, by the attiudes of the various studios (with exceptions) they're focused not on thier past but the now. Disregarding the legacys that built them in the first place. Is this Sad...you bet!!! Is it a Shame, damn right it is!!! This sure looks like a game of 5 card stud, let the game begin ;)

Jim*Tod

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jim
This film has been a hot potato tossed around for decades with the Goldwyn and Gershwin estates often at odds and even within those entities there were bitter disputes. Consider too that even in 1959 the film was branded as racist. In our current climate I can't imagine it would be viewed with much respect. Even the history of the making of the film is fraught---the story goes that Goldwyn told Poitier that if he did not appear in the film he would destroy his career. Harry Belafonte was also offered the lead but refused. I saw a 35mm print about 50 years ago and liked it though I was just a teen at the time. I think the best argument for restoration would lie in the score and especially the cast which includes top talent such as Pearl Bailey, Sammy Davis Jr, Brock Peters, and Dianne Carroll. It remains, I think, one of the last of the big 70mm roadshow musicals which is not available in any format. Given the expense of restoration, I really wonder if this is even remotely possible.

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
sorry but it sounded to me like a very quantifiable maybe, with phases like that...contact Bezos, see if he's a fan of Porgy and Bess?? :D

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
The film seems to have had a lot of 70mm prints - none exist?

“Porgy and Bess” was among five first-run films released in 1959 with 70mm prints for selected engagements and was among four films exhibited with a reserved-seat “roadshow” policy. The Samuel Goldwyn presentation and Columbia release — directed by Otto Preminger (“Exodus,” “The Cardinal”) and starring Sidney Poitier, Dorothy Dandridge, Sammy Davis Jr. and Pearl Bailey — premiered June 24th and followed with a staggered rollout. (The film’s 35mm general release commenced during 1960.)

The 70mm prints of “Porgy and Bess” featured six-track stereophonic sound and full-frame imagery sourced from Todd-AO photography.

PART 1: THE ROADSHOW ENGAGEMENTS
(70mm presentation / reserved seat policy)

Premiere date YYYY-MM-DD … locale — cinema (duration in weeks) [notes]

1959-06-24 … New York — Warner (30)

1959-07-15 … Los Angeles — Carthay Circle (28)
1959-07-22 … Chicago — McVickers (22)
1959-07-22 … San Francisco — Coronet (19)

1959-08-06 … Boston — Astor (20)
1959-08-13 … Toronto — Tivoli (24)

1959-10-01 … Cincinnati — Valley (15)
1959-10-07 … Detroit — Mercury (14)
1959-10-07 … Philadelphia — Goldman (15)
1959-10-14 … Washington — Uptown (12)
1959-10-28 … Baltimore — Town (7)

1959-11-04 … Cleveland — Palace (11)

1959-12-03 … Miami (Miami Beach) — Sheridan (14)
1959-12-25 … Columbus — Cinestage (10)
1959-12-25 … Dallas — Esquire (8)
1959-12-25 … Dayton — McCook (10)
1959-12-25 … Denver — Aladdin (8)
1959-12-25 … Houston — Tower (8)
1959-12-25 … Indianapolis — Lyric (7)
1959-12-25 … Kansas City — Capri (5)
1959-12-25 … Louisville — Brown (6)
1959-12-25 … Minneapolis — Academy (9)
1959-12-25 … Pittsburgh — Nixon (8)
1959-12-25 … Syracuse — Eckel (10)
1959-12-26 … Rochester — Monroe (11)
1959-12-31 … San Diego — Capri (11)

1960-01-22 … Phoenix — Vista (8)
1960-01-28 … Salt Lake City — Villa (9)

1960-02-12 … Ottawa — Nelson (4)
1960-02-19 … Montreal — Seville (10)

1960-03-11 … St. Louis (Richmond Heights) — Esquire (4)

1960-04-11 … Winnipeg — Garrick (2)
1960-04-14 … Calgary — Uptown (2)

PART 2: FIRST-RUN 70MM ENGAGEMENTS / NON-ROADSHOW POLICY
(70mm presentation / seats not reserved)

1960-02-24 … Milwaukee — Strand (6)
1960-03-09 … Asbury Park — St. James (3)
1960-03-09 … Hartford — Strand (3)
1960-03-25 … Youngstown — State (3)
1960-08-10 … Edmonton — Rialto (2)

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
This film has been a hot potato tossed around for decades with the Goldwyn and Gershwin estates often at odds and even within those entities there were bitter disputes. Consider too that even in 1959 the film was branded as racist. In our current climate I can't imagine it would be viewed with much respect. Even the history of the making of the film is fraught---the story goes that Goldwyn told Poitier that if he did not appear in the film he would destroy his career. Harry Belafonte was also offered the lead but refused. I saw a 35mm print about 50 years ago and liked it though I was just a teen at the time. I think the best argument for restoration would lie in the score and especially the cast which includes top talent such as Pearl Bailey, Sammy Davis Jr, Brock Peters, and Dianne Carroll. It remains, I think, one of the last of the big 70mm roadshow musicals which is not available in any format. Given the expense of restoration, I really wonder if this is even remotely possible.
Spot on == I think there was even a suspicious fire during the filming destroyed part of the sets? WPIX aired it for years w/o complaints the star power in it is amazing and as film heritage it needs to be seen and re-evaluated as I said earlier at odds with what we were told that Gershwin Estate did not want it out so one player is interested u bet if money to be made Goldwyn Estate would be in it would be matter of who pays think a vid release would be a no brainer

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
MGM would not be involved

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks