What's new

OMG Just received this from Gershwin Estate 1959 Porgy and Bess! They want it restored! (1 Viewer)

KPmusmag

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kevin Parcher
I saw that famous private print screened at LACMA years ago, the one where Sammy Davis Jr's son was in attendance. Compared to what was available for home viewing it was a revelation. The hideous low-rez monstrosity of a pirated DVD I do own is plain unwatchable. Unfortunately, I do like the film quite a lot and the staginess of it really never bothered me that much. Preminger was brave enough to include Bess' "nose candy" thing, which I understand was in the original story not the opera. The music and performances are phenomenal, however. I've seen some really horrible movies I abhor that some people adore so I claim my right to like this one. I'd pay a helluva lot for a disc of that LACMA print. Beggars can't be choosers I guess.

Oh my gosh I was there that night as well. Treasured memory.

AlanP

Screenwriter
Real Name
BAP
I posted it in the new FB page by Tim Millard too and look at this comment
Stan Taffel
This has been a problem title for many years. The late film collector Ken Kramer had the best 35mm print that was also in stereo. He traveled with the print from Los Angeles to New York and would screen it in his private theater. I was there for a few of his screenings including when Brock Peters came to see it. Sidney Poitier hated the film and wouldn’t come to the screening.
Ken offered it to the Gershwins for a loan for restoration (they needed the stereo tracks) but they weren’t interested. It seems that they are still unwilling given the price to do a full restoration. It would be nice to have it done and I know where the print is now that Ken has passed away but it’s the price for restoration and who would pay for it that is one of the obstacles.
Spike Lee ???

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks