What's new

Picture geometry (1 Viewer)

JeromyD

Grip
I have a picture geometry problem. I am using a Samsung HD931 and a Sony KP-57WS500 tv. Which of these two are more than likely causing the problem? I hate to spend $300 on having the tv calibrated if the problem is in the dvd player. Thanks for any help to those who answer!

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
Definitely the TV, that's a CRT RPTV, which will have geometry challenges like any CRT device.

I've never heard of a DVD player having geometry problems.

JeromyD

Grip
Chris if it is the TV (and I am not saying your wrong), why will the xbox display one of my problem dvd's (Resident Evil)correctly? I have two movies which have definate geometry issues. Resident Evil and T2. The error shows up in Resident Evil where the computer is locking down everything and recording peoples reactions. It lops off the wording on the left and right of the screen. It does the same thing in T2 where Arnold is going into the biker bar to get his clothes and he is scanning his surroundings. My computer displays both movies correctly although I am using a LCD panel on it. Please give me more info. Thanks.

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
Hi guys

Many of the Samsung 931s have Overscan error. I think that a software upgrade fixed it but I am not sure.

Overscan on the top / bottom is around 5 and then about 9(?) on the sides (which is way too much). Overscan on most RPTV crts should be at 4-5 ish, on digital devices it can be down to 2-3.

Basically the Samsung 931 is stretching the image and cutting off the sides.

Regards

Gregg

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member

Well, you didn't quite explain your problem, so when you said you had a geometry problem, I immediately thought "gee, he's got a geometry problem." ;)

Geometry issues are usually distortions of the picture across the viewing area, and can be seen easily in slow pans, you can see where some areas of the picture may be "stretched out" and others more smushed, and this is hard to eliminate completely on some CRT devices.

Overscan or improper aspect ratio or zoom control is not what I was thinking ot.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks