What's new

WHV Press Announce: IMAX Announces Once in a Lifetime Moviegoing Experience - Wizard of Oz (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
ONCE-IN-A-LIFETIME MOVIEGOING EXPERIENCE:
THE WIZARD OF OZ TO PREMIERE IN IMAX® 3D
AT NEW TCL CHINESE THEATRE IMAX SEPT. 15
TICKETS FOR EXCLUSIVE ONE-WEEK IMAX ENGAGEMENT STARTING SEPT. 20 ON SALE NOW AT HOLLYWOOD’S FIRST IMAX® THEATRE
Beloved Classic Celebrates 75th Anniversary
at Site of Film’s Original 1939 Hollywood Premiere
HOLLYWOOD – AUGUST 6, 2013 – In celebration of the 75th anniversary of The Wizard of Oz, Warner Bros., IMAX Corporation and the TCL Chinese Theatre have teamed up to host the world premiere of the film’s first-ever IMAX® 3D release at the new TCL Chinese Theatre IMAX in Hollywood on Sept. 15, followed by an exclusive one-week IMAX engagement at the new theatre and IMAX® theatres across North America beginning Sept. 20.
Tickets for all showings of The Wizard of Oz: An IMAX 3D Experience at the IMAX TCL Chinese Theatre are on sale now atwww.tclchinesetheatres.com.

After a summer hiatus, the TCL Chinese Theatre IMAX will reopen as IMAX's largest auditorium in the world in terms of seating capacity and the first IMAX theatre in Hollywood. It will be equipped with all of the elements of The IMAX Experience®, including ground-breaking, crystal-clear digital projection, cutting-edge sound technology and a curved screen spanning from floor to ceiling and wall to wall, providing moviegoers visiting this historic site the world’s most immersive cinematic experience. The Theatre’s world-renowned forecourt, featuring the handprints and footprints of 250-plus Hollywood legends, remains the area’s top attraction and draws as many visitors a year as the Sistine Chapel.
“We’re absolutely thrilled to host the premiere of The Wizard of Oz in IMAX 3D,” says Alwyn Hight Kushner, President and COO, TCL Chinese Theatres. “This film and the TCL Chinese Theatre are among the best-known and most-beloved icons of Hollywood filmmaking, and, of course, the amazing IMAX technology represents the future of moviegoing.”
The Wizard of Oz has many historic ties to the TCL Chinese Theatre. Composer Harold Arlen, desperate to write a song for the Dorothy Kansas sequence, sought refuge in the Chinese Theatre one evening and, en route, was inspired to write the iconic “Over The Rainbow.” The film had its original Hollywood premiere at the TCL Chinese Theatre on Aug. 15, 1939, andThe Wizard of Oz’s “Dorothy” - Judy Garland - was the honoree for the 50th handprint footprint ceremony in the theatre’s famous forecourt in 1939.

“This is the perfect way to launch the opening of the new TCL Chinese Theatre IMAX - with the IMAX premiere of one of the most beloved films of all time in the venue in which it premiered 75 years ago,” said Greg Foster, CEO of IMAX Entertainment and Senior Executive Vice President, IMAX Corporation. “It is truly exciting to be part of this special occasion alongside two of the most iconic brands in Hollywood and we look forward to offering moviegoers an experience they will never forget.”

“We couldn’t be happier to partner with IMAX as we celebrate the 75th anniversary of this iconic film,” said Dan Fellman, President, Domestic Distribution, Warner Bros. Pictures. “The Wizard of Oz IMAX® 3D Experience is an integral part of our studio-wide 90th anniversary initiative and we are excited to give fans the rare opportunity to see this stunning version on the big screen.”

The IMAX® release of The Wizard of Oz will be digitally re-mastered into the image and sound quality of The IMAX 3D Experience® with proprietary IMAX DMR® (Digital Re-mastering) technology. The crystal-clear images, coupled with IMAX®’s customized theatre geometry and powerful digital audio, create a unique environment that will make audiences feel as if they are in the movie.

Following the IMAX® theatrical release, Warner Bros. Home Entertainment (WBHE) will release a limited and numbered The Wizard of Oz 75th Anniversary Collector’s Edition on Oct. 1. The Wizard of Oz 75th Anniversary Collector’s Edition will debut as a five-disc set that will include Blu-ray 3D™, Blu-ray™, DVD and UltraViolet™ versions of the film; a new documentary, The Making of The Wonderful Wizard of Oz; bonus features and premium collectibles ($105.43 SRP). New exclusive collectible 75th Anniversary memorabilia includes deluxe pin set from The Noble CollectionTM , 52-page hardcover photo book, RUBY SLIPPERS TM Sparkle Globe, hard covered journal, a Map of Oz, and more. Three more editions will be available separately: a two-disc Blu-ray 3D / Blu-ray ($35.99 SRP), a one-disc Blu-ray ($19.98 SRP) and a two-disc DVD ($16.95 SRP). All four will contain the new documentary and extra content. For more information, visitwww.thewizardofoz.com.
###​
About the Chinese Theatres
Since 1927, The TCL Chinese Theatre has been the home of the most important, star powered red carpet movie premieres and special events, where Hollywood’s biggest and brightest talents have come to watch their movies. The most famous movie theatre on the globe is world-renowned for its unique forecourt of the stars, featuring cement hand and footprints of major movie stars, from Marilyn Monroe to Brad Pitt, and numerous stars from all eras of Hollywood. In addition to being a major international tourist destination, The TCL Chinese Theatre, and its six adjacent cinemas, the Chinese 6, are everyday working movie theatres, hosting millions of moviegoers year round. The TCL Chinese Theatre was declared a historic-cultural landmark in 1968, and there has always been a restoration program in process to maintain the theatre's beauty. With its current, on-going facelift and new name and new added amenities and event spaces, guided by a new and vigorous ownership team, the TCL Chinese Theatre and its famed “hands and footprints in cement” forecourt will continue to be the preferred location for tourist visits and the entertainment industry’s most prestigious red carpet premieres for years to come.

SD_Brian

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
It will be interesting to see how the painted backdrops in The Wizard of Oz look in 3-D: Will it look like the Yellow Brick Road stretches off into infinity or will it look like Dorothy is about to run into the back wall of the sound stage?

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
The.....TCL Chinese 6 Cinemplex, now with IMAX screens?? :unsure:
(So, are they going to have to update the Disney Parks version in Florida, too?)

sleroi

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gavin Kopp
I saw a 2-d trailer for this in IMAX before pacific rim, and the picture looked way too soft. almost blurry. I'm still looking forward to taking the family, but im curious what others who have seen this think.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
Most of the times my local IMAX shows a 2D version at least once a day. I hope that option is going to be available for this.

moviebuff75

Screenwriter
Real Name
Eric Scott Richard
I have a friend who saw a sneak peek of this and he said it was fantastic..like watching the film through a viewmaster. He said it made the experience fresh and new. Personally, I'm not buying this movie again until they fix the mistakes they have made in the past few years.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
Personally, I'm not buying this movie again period. I'll live with the mistakes because I've spent too much on this one title (and a few others) over the years. No more.

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
Saw it this afternoon: fantastic! Yes, a little softness, but I wasn't sure if it was a 75 year old movie being shown on an IMAX screeen or the conversion process. Nice brightness...And an excellent use of 3-D. LOVED it!

Joel Arndt

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Arndt
Saw this at my local IMAX theatre yesterday afternoon and was very impressed with the presentation as the rest of the audience was apparently since spontaneous applause broke out at the end. Very nice use of 3D and respectful to the original content. There was some image softness in places, but overall remarkable color, clarity and depth throughout for a movie that's almost 75 years old. Much better than the 2D "restored" version that was released to theatres for the 60th anniversary. My comment at the time was that the version on my deluxe edition ld set looked better (which it did) than what was shown theatrically. Kudos to Warner and all involved for a job very well done. If you have an opportunity to see this in a theatre I would recommend it highly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks