What's new

PHE Press Release: Paramount Presents! The Golden Child (1986) (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
It's already questionable enough. WHY would they choose this title for inclusion in their premium release line? It's a very bad decision. Sales will be flat because of the FILM, and then they'll point to this as yet another example of physical media not selling well.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
It's already questionable enough. WHY would they choose this title for inclusion in their premium release line? It's a very bad decision. Sales will be flat because of the FILM, and then they'll point to this as yet another example of physical media not selling well.

My eyberows were raised with this release as well. Not nearly one of Eddie's better movies.

Again, we are going back to either Paramount doesn't know their library or they saw this had not previously been available on BD and threw it out there to tie in with the rest of the Eddie Murphy library being released. Quite frankly, 48 HOURS would have been the better choice here.

And then again, this could end up like a Warner announcement thread where people complain, "why is this being released when this isn't?"

Yeah, and if it doesn't sell well Paramount may rethink they release strategies.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
My eyberows were raised with this release as well. Not nearly one of Eddie's better movies.

Again, we are going back to either Paramount doesn't know their library or they saw this had not previously been available on BD and threw it out there to tie in with the rest of the Eddie Murphy library being released. Quite frankly, 48 HOURS would have been the better choice here.

And then again, this could end up like a Warner announcement thread where people complain, "why is this being released when this isn't?"

Yeah, and if it doesn't sell well Paramount may rethink they release strategies.

I think we should applaud any "not already on BD" releases.

I don't think one "flop" BD is gonna make Paramount believe the entire "release strategy" is at fault.

And I still don't think it's assured "GC" will flop on BD. It's a weak movie but there are skillions of weak movies that still sell!

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I guess I'm in the minority that likes this movie.:laugh:

I saw it theatrically - or on VHS, at least - back in the day, but I'd not seen it again until I rented the DVD a few months as prep for the upcoming BD.

I thought it was mediocre and Murphy was miscast. The movie tries too hard to make his character "Axel II" and it doesn't fit the film well...

dpippel

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
My point is that Paramount Presents! is supposed to be a "premium" line of disc releases that spotlights special films in their library. There's nothing at all special about The Golden Child, so why not release it as a simple Blu-ray with minimal extras and reserve the "big" Paramount Presents production costs for movies that deserve the recognition? It makes no sense. What's next, The Love Guru? :laugh:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
My point is that Paramount Presents! is supposed to be a "premium" line of disc releases that spotlight special films in their library. There's nothing at all special about The Golden Child, so why not release it as a simple Blu-ray with minimal extras and reserve the "big" Paramount Presents production costs for movies that deserve the recognition? It makes no sense.
Well, that's a good point as they could've done another 48 Hours release instead of The Golden Child.;)

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I just saw the DVD in the dump bin at Walmart. Maybe I'll pick that up and see if I like the film. I was never really interested in Eddie Murphy for the most part in the 80's. I was more interested with his work in The Nutty Professor, Dr. Dolittle, and Shrek.

I recently picked up the Beverly Hills Cop set and have been watching them for the first time. For supposedly being blockbuster comedies, they're not really that funny IMO (watched the first two so far).

dpippel

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I don't understand your winky, are you saying 48 Hours isn't a good movie?

No, I'm saying that releasing 48 Hours on Blu-ray again, barring some massive upgrade, makes about as much sense as releasing The Golden Child as a Paramount Presents! title.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
No, I'm saying that releasing 48 Hours on Blu-ray again, barring some massive upgrade, makes about as much sense as releasing The Golden Child as a Paramount Presents! title.
You think I would mention 48 Hours if my expectations weren't a massive upgrade over a BD released almost ten years ago?

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
I recall liking Golden Child at the theater whereas Another 48 Hours was one of the worst films I've ever seen. It was the epitome of the pointless idealess sequel. That said, I'd rather Paramount release Parallax View than either.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Hmm...I love the movie. And tend to think it will sell better than most in this line. There are a lot of 80's kids (like me) that grew up with this film.

That's what I kinda figured.

I was 19 when "GC" hit the screens, so I was a smidgen too old to be of a group that would've watched the same movies endlessly on cable in the 80s/early 90s. I didn't know if it had that audience, but it certainly seemed possible, if not probable.

Sure, "GC" disappointed at the box office in 1986, but it still made nearly $80 million and was the 8th highest grossing film of 1986 in the US.

Did Paramount expect more? Definitely, but people here act like it flopped.

"Labyrinth" earned a sub-pathetic $12m in the US but got a big audience on video. "Goonies" stalled at a disappointing $63m in 1985 and did the same.

I don't think "GC" has the same "80s kid cult" of those 2, but it's still a movie that was a decent hit in 1986 that stars a huge actor and that seems to have maintained an audience of those 80 kids.

This doesn't sound like a terrible idea for a Blu-ray!

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I recall liking Golden Child at the theater whereas Another 48 Hours was one of the worst films I've ever seen. It was the epitome of the pointless idealess sequel. That said, I'd rather Paramount release Parallax View than either.

I saw "Another" in 1990 but don't think I've seen it since then. I don't think I hated it, but I know I didn't like it - which explains zero additional screenings since 1990!

Murphy has made 5 sequels to date - not including the unreleased "Coming to America" sequel - and only "Klumps" is actually entertaining.

Both "BHC" flicks are weak, as are "Another" and "Dolittle 2"...

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I like the first film (48 Hours), but the second I can do without.

This year is turning out to be a great year for classic Eddie Murphy films. Two "must have" titles for me 'The Golden Child" (First time on BD), and 'Coming to America' (first time on 4K disc).

I can't wait.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Yup, I'm in the minority.:rolling-smiley:By the way, I said I liked the movie, I didn't say it was a good movie.
Probably still in the minority, but I didn't think it was as bad as reputed. Of course, I'm one of the few who thought that "Gigli" (rhymes with really) was an honest attempt to create a different modern noir that somehow failed in execution. :cool:.

The Golden Child does have its fans (at least among my former work colleagues) but not among "cinephiles" ....

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Also coming to Blu-Ray, a new 4K remaster of 'Trading Places' under the supervision of director John Landis on December 1st. This will be a welcome upgrade over the heavily DNR ancient BD.
IMG_2183.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks