John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
And I still don't think it's assured "GC" will flop on BD. It's a weak movie but there are skillions of weak movies that still sell!
If you mean weak based on original box office you're obviously correct but whether or not it's actually a decent film is a matter of personal opinion, even though it seems most share your sentiments. Unfortunately, I do think sales of this disc will be weak which is why I'm so happy Paramount is releasing it anyway. Finally a decision not made entirely based on projected sales.

Hmm...I love the movie. And tend to think it will sell better than most in this line.
Same here. I thought it was a refreshing sojourn for Murphy at the time. The film did admittedly borrow heavily from his Axel Foley character but with the welcome addition of some redeeming value, which developed as the film progressed. Then there was Charlotte Lewis. Worth the price of the disc for that reason alone in my opinion.

Murphy has made 5 sequels to date - not including the unreleased "Coming to America" sequel - and only "Klumps" is actually entertaining.
You don't consider Beverly Hills Cop II entertaining? Not judging. Just asking. I also learned to like Another 48 hours over time. Eddie and Nick made a great pair in those films.

This is a definite BUY for me.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bryan^H

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
You don't consider Beverly Hills Cop II entertaining? Not judging. Just asking.
"II" is a classic compared to "III", but it's mediocre and a huge drop from the first movie.

It also seemed to make up its rules as it went along. Character changes make no sense, and the whole thing lacks the charm of the first movie:

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
...If you mean weak based on original box office you're obviously correct but whether or not it's actually a decent film is a matter of personal opinion, even though it seems most share your sentiments...
Weak box office? It was one of the most successful films of 1986 and made $80 million domestically, the equivalent of $170 million adjusted for inflation.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Same here. I thought it was a refreshing sojourn for Murphy at the time. The film did admittedly borrow heavily from his Axel Foley character but with the welcome addition of some redeeming value, which developed as the film progressed. Then there was Charlotte Lewis. Worth the price of the disc for that reason alone in my opinion.
Yeah, that dream scene...pretty lady:thumbs-up-smiley:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Real Name
Robert
TBH, that's the main reason why I liked that movie.:blush:

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
...The film did admittedly borrow heavily from his Axel Foley character but with the welcome addition of some redeeming value, which developed as the film progressed...
Eddie Murphy was kind of like Bugs Bunny for the 80s - the plots and scenery might be different, but you always knew what you were getting.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Weak box office? It was one of the most successful films of 1986 and made $80 million domestically, the equivalent of $170 million adjusted for inflation.
Yep. My mistake. I just made an assumption and was wrong.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Yep. My mistake. I just made an assumption and was wrong.
But not totally, as "Golden Child" was a box office disappointment.

It was Murphy's first movie after "BHC", so Paramount expected huge returns.

It did fine, but they thought it'd do better than just "fine"...

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Eddie Murphy was kind of like Bugs Bunny for the 80s - the plots and scenery might be different, but you always knew what you were getting.
I dunno - that implies he didn't have much range.

I guess Murphy's 80s movies didn't stray tremendously far from his comedic persona, but it's not like he remade the same movie over and over.

Also, as I reflected earlier, Murphy started to take himself very seriously post-"BHC", and you can see how his ego seeped into his performances.

Lots more ego, lots less loose.

Still some entertaining work, but the Murphy of "48 Hrs", "Trading Places" and the 1st "BHC" was a comedic marvel. The one we saw the rest of the decade fared less well...

Reactions: John Dirk

cadavra

Second Unit
Real Name
mike schlesinger
Perhaps, though there's probably some demand for "Golden Child" if just because a) Murphy maintains marquee value and b) it's never been out on BD.

If this was an update on an already-available BD, it'd be more questionable...
Maybe, but as Leonard Maltin put it, "A box office smash--but have you ever met anyone who liked it?"

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Maybe, but as Leonard Maltin put it, "A box office smash--but have you ever met anyone who liked it?"
Yes - on this thread! :)

Honestly, I don't get why some here act like it's such a stretch for Paramount to put out "Golden Child" on BD.

People complain that studios double-dip on movies already out - and then they complain when a fairly prominent movie gets its initial BD release! <_<

Reactions: B-ROLL

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Premium
Real Name
Doug
Honestly, I don't get why some here act like it's such a stretch for Paramount to put out "Golden Child" on BD.
I don't think it's a stretch at all. I'm happy for fans of the film that it's finally going to be available on disc in 1080P. What's a stretch is releasing it as a Paramount Presents! title.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I don't think it's a stretch at all. I'm happy for fans of the film that it's finally going to be available on disc in 1080P. What's a stretch is releasing it as a Paramount Presents! title.
Potayto, potahto. It's a new line of releases that could be defunct in a year for all we know.

"Paramount Presents" doesn't have some predetermined criteria for what "qualifies". It's whatever they decide!

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Yes, from this info in their web site, basically any title in their library can be release under the banner:

Paramount Presents
1953-1990

A new line of Blu-ray releases for collectors and fans. From celebrated classics to film-lover favorites, each title comes directly from the studio's renowned library, spanning over 100 years of storytelling.

dpippel

Premium
Real Name
Doug
Potayto, potahto. It's a new line of releases that could be defunct in a year for all we know.

"Paramount Presents" doesn't have some predetermined criteria for what "qualifies". It's whatever they decide!
Obviously. IMO there are many films in the Paramount library that are more deserving of special treatment, which was my only point.

Move along, move along.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Obviously. IMO there are many films in the Paramount library that are more deserving of special treatment, which was my only point.
I guess I don't view "Presents" as being all that damned special! :)

Blu-rays that come out with special features the old BDs or DVDs had? Shabby stuff!

dpippel

Premium
Real Name
Doug
I guess I don't view "Presents" as being all that damned special! :)

Blu-rays that come out with special features the old BDs or DVDs had? Shabby stuff!
I couldn't agree more! So why do it at all, Paramount? I mean, do they really think that a bit of slick packaging is going to result in oodles of new sales? In many cases I think they'll be lucky if they break even on the extra costs.

Oh well, what do I know. I'm just a potential consumer of their products, wondering WTF they're trying to accomplish here.

Forum Sponsors

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An Elvis Fan