What's new

PHE Press Release: Paramount Presents! The Golden Child (1986) (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
12217.jpg

• Newly remastered from a 4K film transfer under the supervision of director Michael Ritchie, this hit action-comedy comes to Blu-ray for the first time as part of the Paramount Presents line. The limited-edition Paramount Presents Blu-ray Disc is presented in collectible packaging that includes a foldout image of the film’s theatrical poster and an interior spread with key movie moments. The film will also be available on 4K Ultra HD Digital.
  • The Paramount Presents Blu-ray includes a new featurette on the Making of The Golden Child, as well as access to a Digital copy of the film and the theatrical trailer.
Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link. As an Amazon Associate HTF earns from qualifying purchases

Last edited:

deepscan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
JP
As I said an another forum, this looks like a no-sale for me.

Many things wrong with this new release...how can a director supervise a new 4K transfer when he died nearly 20 years ago? Also, with a release such as this, you may have thought Paramount would have had the good sense to include a separate audio track incorporating John Barry‘s original unused score. They didn’t, apparently. It may be a case of either the separate audio stems (music, dialogue, and effects tracks) went missing or tossed from Paramount’s archives, leaving no possibility of Barry’s score restored, or the studio could not work things out with the late composer Barry’s estate.

Universal had enough faith in restoring Jerry Goldsmith’s score for LEGEND, but Paramount sure doesn’t for GOLDEN CHILD.

Ironically, in GOLDEN CHILD’s dream sequence there is a passing reference to LEGEND as Chandler walks by the studio where he meets Sardo.

DVBRD

Second Unit
Real Name
Andy
Also, with a release such as this, you may have thought Paramount would have had the good sense to include a separate audio track incorporating John Barry‘s original unused score. They didn’t, apparently. It may be a case of either the separate audio stems (music, dialogue, and effects tracks) went missing or tossed from Paramount’s archives, leaving no possibility of Barry’s score restored, or the studio could not work things out with the late composer Barry’s estate.

Universal had enough faith in restoring Jerry Goldsmith’s score for LEGEND, but Paramount sure doesn’t for GOLDEN CHILD.

Judging by the rather flat response to THE GOLDEN CHILD getting a BD release, I can tell why...

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
As I said an another forum, this looks like a no-sale for me.

Many things wrong with this new release...how can a director supervise a new 4K transfer when he died nearly 20 years ago? Also, with a release such as this, you may have thought Paramount would have had the good sense to include a separate audio track incorporating John Barry‘s original unused score. They didn’t, apparently. It may be a case of either the separate audio stems (music, dialogue, and effects tracks) went missing or tossed from Paramount’s archives, leaving no possibility of Barry’s score restored, or the studio could not work things out with the late composer Barry’s estate.

Ironically, in GOLDEN CHILD’s dream sequence there is a passing reference to LEGEND as Chandler walks by the studio where he meets Sardo.
Few things to note: It's possible that the PR hack got it wrong and meant to to say "transfer supervised by director of photography." I checked, and DOP Donald E. Thorin passed in 2016, so it's plausible that he could have supervised a "new" transfer, even in 4K. Also, the John Barry score went completely unused, which is distinguishable from the Jerry Goldsmith score for Legend, which was used on the European cut of the film and therefore readily available. In the case of Legend, both cuts were released on home media, and therefore both scores. Not a question of faith.

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
"The Best Man In The World" was written for the film. It was the basis for the score. Only the song made it into the film.

"Puttin' on the Ritz" was adapted by Barry and recorded at the sessions conducted by Barry.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
"The Best Man In The World" was written for the film. It was the basis for the score. Only the song made it into the film.

"Puttin' on the Ritz" was adapted by Barry and recorded at the sessions conducted by Barry.
So then the incidental music or "underscore" and themes are what went unused, right? Just trying to understand your point, Neil.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
I seem to remember reading that Barry's music was for a completely different cut of the film, so it might be impossible to include it as an alternate score.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Barry's contributions to the film were not completely jettisoned.
Which does nothing to change my original point, which was that Goldsmith's score was used in an international cut of Legend while Barry's score was not in the same situation and that the comparison of the situation with Legend and that of The Golden Child is completely off.

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
I admit there's no mix of the film with Barry's full score, that's correct. "Tin Can Man" (the cue with Barry's arrangement of "Puttin' on the Ritz") is in the film though as is the cue "The Wisdom of the Ages" (9m2R) so his score isn't "completely unused." And then there's the song "The Best Man In The World" by Barry which is based on his theme for Chandler.

This is all detailed in the soundtrack album from La-La Land Records. I was a producer on it.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
I admit there's no mix of the film with Barry's full score, that's correct. "Tin Can Man" (the cue with Barry's arrangement of "Puttin' on the Ritz") is in the film though as is the cue "The Wisdom of the Ages" (9m2R) so his score isn't "completely unused." And then there's the song "The Best Man In The World" by Barry which is based on his theme for Chandler.

This is all detailed in the soundtrack album from La-La Land Records. I was a producer on it.
Fair enough. how late in the game did they bring in Michel Colombier?

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link. As an Amazon Associate HTF earns from qualifying purchases

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
Late enough to be missing from the back of the novelization. ;)

IMG_20200922_100209.jpg

The Barry score was recorded in September 1986 while the Colombier score was recorded in November 1986. The movie was released in December of that year.

cadavra

Supporting Actor
Real Name
mike schlesinger
You have to understand there's no one left at Paramount (like Barry Allen or me) with any understanding of what's valuable in the library. They see "Eddie Murphy" and automatically assume it'll be a must-have title. Will they be in for a shock!

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
You have to understand there's no one left at Paramount (like Barry Allen or me) with any understanding of what's valuable in the library. They see "Eddie Murphy" and automatically assume it'll be a must-have title. Will they be in for a shock!

Perhaps, though there's probably some demand for "Golden Child" if just because a) Murphy maintains marquee value and b) it's never been out on BD.

If this was an update on an already-available BD, it'd be more questionable...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks