What's new

Press Release PHE Press Release: Indiana Jones 4-Movie Movie Collection (4k UHD) (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Just so I'm in the same page as the rest of you...I personally don't consider focus issues that were inherent to the OCN to be anything that a remaster/restoration/new 4K scan can fix. That's an inherent flaw in the source, right? I've seen a few people mention focus issues, and I just don't view persistent focus problems from the beginning as any sort of strike against the quality of the transfer.

Indy Guy

Premium
Real Name
Tony Baxter
The discs are a wonderful trip down memory lane!
I remember how great the Graumans Chinese carved proscenium matched the interior of the Temple of Doom with the red colored lighting.
The only thing I miss on the 4K that was on the Blu Ray's are the thrilling THX logos. They always signaled that I was about to experience something truly awesome...

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Just so I'm in the same page as the rest of you...I personally don't consider focus issues that were inherent to the OCN to be anything that a remaster/restoration/new 4K scan can fix. That's an inherent flaw in the source, right? I've seen a few people mention focus issues, and I just don't view persistent focus problems from the beginning as any sort of strike against the quality of the transfer.
I am no expert on film restoration, but I am quite well versed in editing still photos. There is no way to fix an out of focus issue with a still photo, so I am not sure how it would be done with a motion picture.

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member

Neither do I. However, Paramount *did* digitally correct focus issues at the beginning of Raiders. So, my "unfortunately" about Last Crusade was related to to the fact that one movie was corrected but not another.

Mark

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
I am no expert on film restoration, but I am quite well versed in editing still photos. There is no way to fix an out of focus issue with a still photo, so I am not sure how it would be done with a motion picture.

Yet, that's exactly what Paramount did with Raiders for the 4K release.

Mark

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Do you happen to have timestamps or specific things to look for? I watched the first five minutes of both, up to and including the spiders scene and what I see isn't a loss of focus, but rather a blurrier representation from the HD version. This is evident from the opening credits, the demarcation between white borders and black interior of the opening credits are sharper, and much more stark and pronounced in the 4K disc than they are in the BD. It's like if you were slightly myopic, say 20/30 vision, and then suddenly got your vision corrected to 20/20.

I do agree the spiders scene looks blurrier in 2K than 4K. I m not certain it's out of focus, though. Remember that dark scenes, especially those with motion, are some of the hardest to encode. On the several passes I took of the scenes, on one run I decided to enable the stats. The HD disc is .264 encoding hovering around 30Mbps on that scene. The new disc uses HEVC (.265) encoding which is more advanced and more efficient, and is hovering around 60+Mbps.

But again this is just my untrained eye. To me, the blurriness of the HD disc looked more like compression struggling to reproduce a dark scene with complex motion (those hairy, spotted spider legs can't be easy to encode) than it did an out of focus shot. But again, just my opinion.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
Do you happen to have timestamps or specific things to look for? I watched the first five minutes of both, up to and including the spiders scene and what I see isn't a loss of focus, but rather a blurrier representation from the HD version. This is evident from the opening credits, the demarcation between white borders and black interior of the opening credits are sharper, and much more stark and pronounced in the 4K disc than they are in the BD. It's like if you were slightly myopic, say 20/30 vision, and then suddenly got your vision corrected to 20/20.

I do agree the spiders scene looks blurrier in 2K than 4K. I m not certain it's out of focus, though. Remember that dark scenes, especially those with motion, are some of the hardest to encode. On the several passes I took of the scenes, on one run I decided to enable the stats. The HD disc is .264 encoding hovering around 30Mbps on that scene. The new disc uses HEVC (.265) encoding which is more advanced and more efficient, and is hovering around 60+Mbps.

But again this is just my untrained eye. To me, the blurriness of the HD disc looked more like compression struggling to reproduce a dark scene with complex motion (those hairy, spotted spider legs can't be easy to encode) than it did an out of focus shot. But again, just my opinion.
There was a camera registration issue in the scene with the tarantulas at the beginning of Raiders that caused the image to drift in and out of focus. I guess they didn't consider it bad enough to reshoot, but it was always visible.

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
We watched ‘Crystal Skull’ today. Looks and sounds fabulous. What a fun romp through the jungle. Popcorn flick all the way.

This 4K box set is a grand slam. The bases were loaded and Paramount belted it out of the park. Thank you, Paramount.

Mark

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I received an alert from my credit card holder that a $58+ charge has been authorized for Deep Discount, which would be my UHD Indy order. So, hopefully that means that their stock will be arriving soon.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
The way I see it, there will always be the now-and-then odd "blemish" that can't be fixed, or that just isn't worth trying to fix. Out-of-focus shots, continuity errors, etc...we just need to learn to get over them.

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
I revisited the early part of the 4K version of Raiders of the Lost Ark today and compared it to the 2012 Blu-ray. The time stamp is both sides of the 5 minute mark. Watch from when Indy and his assistant have entered the cavern and are just about to walk through the first big curtain of spider web. Watch until Indy uses his whip to swing across the giant hole in the floor.

Throughout that section, at various times, either Indy's assistant or both of them or some of the shots of the tarantulas move in and out of focus. There's one short wide shot (after the tarantulas) when Indy and the assistant have their backs to camera as they proceed through the cavern. On the 2012 Blu-ray the entire shot is very soft.

Most of the focus/softness issues have been resolved on the 4K Blu-ray. The difference is VERY noticeable when you compare them one after another. Even in that wide shot (of them moving away from the camera) the 4K is noticeably cleaner.

Great job, Paramount!

Mark

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
As I feared, Walmart went ahead and shipped my order for the standard 4K box set. This, despite canceling the order before they had product and a telephone call to customers service to make sure it stayed cancelled (I was assured it would be taken care of).

Now I'll have to go inside a Walmart to return the box set when it arrives. I'm gonna need to take an extra shower that day.

Mark

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
The way I see it, there will always be the now-and-then odd "blemish" that can't be fixed, or that just isn't worth trying to fix. Out-of-focus shots, continuity errors, etc...we just need to learn to get over them.

Anything that appeared in the original film shouldn't be corrected, IMO.

I won't whine about the removed reflection of the snake or stuff like that, but in general, I'd rather they leave movies be with all the imperfections they always had...

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Anything that appeared in the original film shouldn't be corrected, IMO.

I won't whine about the removed reflection of the snake or stuff like that, but in general, I'd rather they leave movies be with all the imperfections they always had...
What about things the audience couldn’t see or didn’t notice because of the nature of film projection or film stock back in the day? The most well known example being the original War of the Worlds. The wires holding up the Martian war machines were nearly invisible when the film was first released. They started showing up very well as early as s the first DVD (though I’m not sure about this) and were very evident by the first blu ray release. They removed them for the last blu ray and I’m glad they did.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks