What's new

Press Release BVHE Press Release: Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny (2023) (Digital) (1 Viewer)

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Lately I’ve succumbed to that practice. I’ve purchased GOTG3 and Spider-Man ATSV. Both for $19.99. Partly because my wife wanted to watch them now. Im considering The Flash now too.

And I plan to buy the physical releases. Damn them!!;)

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
They’re not putting it on digital first to trick people into buying it on digital instead of disc. They’re putting it on digital first because they’re prioritizing the largest market first.
They were doing that with some movies more than ten years ago, when digital was still a brand new thing. I doubt the market was larger then, but they sure wanted it to be.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I'll sometimes consider buying both if I can get the digital version for under $10 and the disc for under $15. But I don't think I can bring myself to spend $20-25 on digital only.

A while back I think I got the 4K digital versions of The Lost Boys and Poltergeist for $5 each. Then later I saw the discs were on sale for around $15 so I ended up buying both of those, too.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Im considering The Flash now too.
No judgment here, because it's your money and your right to spend it how you want, but the disc of The Flash is literally two weeks out from today as I'm posting this. That's a much shorter wait time than what we're probably going to be in for with something like Dial of Destiny.

Of course, the digital copy is included with all of these physical editions. So we all know that we will ultimately end up with a digital copy of it too as part of the physical purchase. I think it would be nice if the studios could figure out a way to give you the digital version immediately upon release with the pre-order of the physical disc and only charge you once. Amazon does this with their AutoRip service for music CD orders. You don't pay until the physical version ships but get the MP3s to listen to immediately on eligible titles.

I'm waiting for the disc of Across the Spider-Verse, but if I could watch the digital copy now without paying twice, I would. The number of people who would care about this relative to their entire consumer base is probably not significant enough for the studios to do anything about it, though. And, if they can convince you to buy it twice, that's more money for them. So they don't really have an incentive to do this. But it would be nice.

Last edited:

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
but the disc of The Flash is literally two weeks out from today as I'm posting this.
Which is why I’ll probably just wait.

Vudu used to have a deal when they were owned by Walmart where they gave you the digital code immediately when you preordered the physical disc. That was awesome. Wish some of the retailers would bring this kind of deal back.

Kent K H

Supporting Actor
I would not expect them to match. Disney usually isn't very good about uniformity on their own releases, never mind trying to match releases from another studio (Paramount.)
Unless, of course, you want to wait and get, say, all of the Marvel movies up to that point with matching blasé slipcovers, which will not be followed up on when the next movie is released.

While I found DoD to not be the trainwreck some other folks did, I will be holding off on purchasing it until there's some kind of 4K box set with the other four films (much like I am the rest of the Jurassic Park films.) Hopefully in better packaging than the last set, though I'm not holding my breath.

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
Which is why I’ll probably just wait.

Vudu used to have a deal when they were owned by Walmart where they gave you the digital code immediately when you preordered the physical disc. That was awesome. Wish some of the retailers would bring this kind of deal back.

Report Says Disney’s ‘Indiana Jones 5’ Faces $100 Million Loss​

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino

Report Says Disney’s ‘Indiana Jones 5’ Faces $100 Million Loss​

Way more than that actually.

With a $375 million world wide gross, it’s barely covered it’s production costs.

We’re talking hundreds of
Millions in losses for this film. Too bad.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
I’d rebuy the series in a 4k box set just because the Blu-ray of Last Crusade is so bad, everything looks jaggedy.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I’d rebuy the series in a 4k box set just because the Blu-ray of Last Crusade is so bad, everything looks jaggedy.
We'll have to see whether Paramount and Disney will work together on a box set or not. Paramount does retain the distribution rights for the first four films. That being said, I would assume that if there is a box set, they would just reuse the existing discs for the previous films.

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber

I don't know what happened to the Blu-ray for Last Crusade, but yeah, if you compare the opening titles, the Blu-ray is a jaggie mess while the 4K is rock solid.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
The Indiana Jones 4k discs look terrific. A box set of all five would be unusual, especially considering that Paramount did a box set of four films last year that had all of the bonus material on a fifth disc. They also issued individual films with no bonus material. (I’m assuming Dial will have bonus materials.)

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
(I’m assuming Dial will have bonus materials.)
I would think that the eventual physical release of Dial will have the same large making-of documentary that is being made available with the digital release.

Theoretically, a box set could include all the discs Paramount released plus disc(s) for Dial of Destiny. I don't see why simply adding it to the existing discs for the earlier films would be a technical problem. The unusual part would be cross-studio cooperation to include four Paramount titles along with a Disney title. This is a weird situation because I think Disney actually owns all the films as part of their purchase of Lucasfilm, but Paramount owns the distribution rights to the first four in perpetuity. So it seems like they can't do anything without the other. I don't think a box set is incredibly likely.

But Paramount did get their logo on the front of Dial of Destiny even though Disney funded it, and there is obviously some sort of agreement with Paramount in place for the four earlier films to stream on Disney+. So maybe they could work something out here, too. I guess we'll find out whenever the physical disc for Dial is announced.

Last edited:

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks