What's new

Press Release BVHE Press Release: Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny (2023) (Digital) (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
“A WILDLY ENTERTAINING FILM
FOR THE WHOLE FAMILY”
–Kristy Puchko, Mashable​
ec486947-5fd0-44b5-a53c-4f118ec162b8.png
History’s Greatest Hero Returns! Harrison Ford reprises his role as the legendary archaeologist when Lucasfilm’s Indiana Jones and The Dial of Destiny Arrives on Digital August 29​

BURBANK, CA (August 14, 2023) – From Academy Award®–nominated writer-director James Mangold (Logan, Walk the Line) comes the final chapter in the saga of one of cinema’s greatest heroes. Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny sees Harrison Ford reprise his iconic role as the whip-smart archaeologist one last time for a “rip-roaring adventure” (Maureen Lenker, Entertainment Weekly) full of “exciting action, wonderful banter and fantastic twists and turns” (Germain Lussier, IO9).

The film will be available from all major digital retailers including Prime Video, Apple TV, and Vudu on August 29, with never-before-seen bonus content including five chapters that chart the making of Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny. Join the cast and crew on an epic, globe-trotting adventure showcasing new characters, stunts, music, locations, production design, and visual effects.
Film Synopsis​

Harrison Ford returns to the role of the legendary hero archaeologist for this highly anticipated final installment of the iconic franchise-- a big, globe-trotting, rip-roaring cinematic adventure. Starring along with Ford are Phoebe Waller-Bridge (“Fleabag”), Antonio Banderas (Puss in Boots: The Last Wish), John Rhys-Davies (Raiders of the Lost Ark), Shaunette Renée Wilson (FBlack Panther), Thomas Kretschmann (Das Boot), Toby Jones (Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy), Boyd Holbrook (Logan), Olivier Richters (Black Widow), Mads Mikkelsen (Doctor Strange) and newcomer Ethann Isidore. Directed by James Mangold (Logan, Walk the Line) and written by Jez Butterworth & John-Henry Butterworth and David Koepp and James Mangold, based on characters created by George Lucas and Philip Kaufman, the film is produced by Kathleen Kennedy, Frank Marshall and Simon Emanuel, with Steven Spielberg and George Lucas serving as executive producers. John Williams, who has scored each Indy adventure since the original Raiders of the Lost Ark in 1981, has once again composed the score.​

Bonus Features*
The Making of Indiana Jones and The Dial of Destiny​

• Chapter 1 - Prologue – Harrison Ford leaps back into action as Indiana Jones! Journey to 1944 as this featurette reveals the filmmakers, characters, stunts, locations, and incredible visual effects that make up the thrilling opening of Dial of Destiny!
  • Chapter 2 - New York – Blast off to adventure as James Mangold showcases the re-creation of 1969 Manhattan for the Moon Parade chase. This featurette spotlights Helena (Phoebe Waller-Bridge) as John Williams conducts his beautiful new theme for this compelling character.

• Chapter 3 – Morocco – The man in the hat is back! Explore Morocco as this featurette breaks down the white-knuckle stunts of the medina tuk-tuk chase and hotel brawl. Meet Teddy (Ethann Isidore), Indy’s precocious new ally in the hunt for the dial!

• Chapter 4 – Sicily – Meet Renaldo (Antonio Banderas) as he guides our heroes on a perilous underwater treasure hunt! Catch up with Harrison Ford and Phoebe Waller-Bridge on location in Sicily and explore the caverns, traps, and bugs surrounding Archimedes’ tomb!

• Chapter 5 – Finale – This featurette breaks down the thrilling climax to the Indiana Jones series. Cast and filmmakers James Mangold, Kathleen Kennedy, Frank Marshall, John Williams, Steven Spielberg, and Harrison Ford bid farewell to one of the greatest heroes of all time.

*Bonus features vary by product and retailer​

Cast​

Harrison Ford as Indiana Jones
Phoebe Waller-Bridge as Helena Shaw
Antonio Banderas as Renaldo
John Rhys-Davies as Sallah
Shaunette Renée WilsonC as Mason
Thomas Kretschmann as Colonel Weber
Toby Jones as Basil Shaw
Boyd Holbrook as Klaber
Olivier Richters as Hauke
Ethann Isidore as Teddy
Mads Mikkelsen as Dr. Voller​

Directed by
James Mangold

Written by
Jez Butterworth & John-Henry Butterworth and David Koepp and James Mangold

Produced by
Kathleen Kennedy, Frank Marshall, Simon Emanuel

Executive Produced by
Steven Spielberg, George Lucas​
Music by
John Williams

Product Specifications
Street Date
Digital: August 29, 2023

Product SKUs​

Digital: 4K UHD, HD, SD​

Feature Run Time
Approx. 154 minutes

Rating
U.S. Rated PG-13

Aspect Ratio
Digital: 2.39:1

U.S. Audio​
Digital: English Dolby Atmos (UHD only, some platforms), English 5.1 & 2.0 Dolby Digital, Spanish 5.1 & 2.0 Dolby Digital, French 5.1 & 2.0 Dolby Digital, English Descriptive Audio 2.0 Dolby Digital (some platforms)​

U.S. Subtitles
Digital: English SDH, French, Spanish (some platforms)​

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Though this is a digital-only release (for the moment), I moved this out of the streaming forum (where it belongs) temporarily as apparently out members did not catch that we posted this press release moments after its release this morning.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Sigh.

It's one thing to release the digital version first and another thing not to even announce a release date for the physical version yet. I guess those of us who want the disc are in for a longer wait time than normal.

Whatever. Disney won't get my money for this until I can get a physical copy.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I'm pretty sure they've done this before (Avatar WOW, I think?). I know digital versions have usually come out several weeks before physical discs and I think they've started separating them in the press releases now, too.

I'd imagine they're lining up several retailer exclusives for the physical versions as they have with past titles.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I'm pretty sure they've done this before.

The only other time I can recall a digital version being announced completely independently of the physical version was The Way of Water. Usually, even though the digital version is released first, the announcement has both dates in it. The fact that they're not doing that here seems to imply that the physical version will be on a longer delay from the digital release than usual.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
The only other time I can recall a digital version being announced completely independently of the physical version was The Way of Water. Usually, even though the digital version is released first, the announcement has both dates in it. The fact that they're not doing that here seems to imply that the physical version will be on a longer delay from the digital release than usual.
It was about 3 months between AWOW digital (March 28) and physical formats (June 20).

As noted, I'm sure there will be retailer exclusives for Indy, which likely take longer to organize and manufacture than just one standard disc package that's shipped out to everyone. They all need to be ready to go at the same time.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Sure, but Disney does retailer exclusives all the time. Best Buy always has a steelbook. Walmart usually has a different slipcover and a pin. Target used to have digipacks, but don't really do that so much anymore. None of that has prevented Disney from announcing the digital date and the physical date at the same time.

I think, here, they just want to see how many people they can get to buy it on digital before announcing the physical release date.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I'm wondering if the disappointing box office may have sped-up their digital release plans, but they need to stick to the planned schedule for the physical release as it was already set with the manufacturers.

They likely expected this film to play through summer and into the fall and may have planned to bring out the physical formats for a holiday-timed release. They can't really speed that up with the limited capacity of manufacturers these days, who are also dealing with other studios and labels trying to plan end-of-year releases. But they can push the digital release ahead without any such issues.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Last year, Paramount released Maverick digitally in August and on Blu-ray on November 1. That was a long gap between digital and physical. But they still announced the November date at the same time as the August date. So we knew what the wait would be in advance. There is no reason Disney could not have done that here. They just don't want to.

This just seems like Disney is trying to hold back the announcement of the physical release as long as possible in case they can get some fans to buy it twice.

It's their movie, so they can do what they like. with it. But I won't be buying it twice.

Tommy R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tommy
I’m definitely going to get this on 4K disc whenever it’s released, but wondering if it’s going to be mismatched with the steel book spines of 1-4 when I put it on my shelf. I got the steel book set when they were released in 2021, and the spines are an off-white color. *OCD activated*

Chip_HT

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chip
I'm sure I remember plenty of other Disney movies, before the current slump, when the disc and digital release date would be announced by opening weekend. At the very least, I could put in my DMC preorder within the first week or two of the theatrical run. So I don't think box office (under)performance had much to do with this decision.

Other than just trying some sort of "premium" release model, the only other reason I can think of would be some sort of coordination with Paramount over a possible 5 film set.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I’m definitely going to get this on 4K disc whenever it’s released, but wondering if it’s going to be mismatched with the steel book spines of 1-4 when I put it on my shelf.
I would not expect them to match. Disney usually isn't very good about uniformity on their own releases, never mind trying to match releases from another studio (Paramount.)

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
The Bits says it expects the physical release end of October- beginning of November, FWIW.

I, too, am annoyed that no date was given for the 4k/Blu-ray/DVD. Disney’s gone from being an unreliable physical media player to being downright hostile.

Speaking of which, here’s a piece about Disney’s botched CD release of the Dial soundtrack, which is likely to be John Williams’ last.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Sigh.

It's one thing to release the digital version first and another thing not to even announce a release date for the physical version yet. I guess those of us who want the disc are in for a longer wait time than normal.

Whatever. Disney won't get my money for this until I can get a physical copy.
Are you sure we are getting a physical release?

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I have seen no evidence to suggest that there won't be one. (Except, of course, for Australia and New Zealand where Disney isn't supporting physical media at all anymore.). Bill Hunt at The Digital Bits expects one. Plus, Avatar also got a digital-only press release and came to disc a few months later. Disney just wants to see if they can get some fans to buy it on digital and then turn around and buy the disc too.

Speaking of which, here’s a piece about Disney’s botched CD release of the Dial soundtrack, which is likely to be John Williams’ last.
I saw that listing. They never said that it was exclusive to their site or that they were producing it in such a limited number. I waited to see if Amazon was going to list it because it would have been cheaper for me to order there. That ended up being a mistake. If they're going to do a limited edition or exclusive, you'd think it would make sense to say so. I would have bought it from Disney Music Emporium if I had known it was an exclusive there. I just thought they listed it first and it would eventually show up on places like Amazon.

But honestly, Disney has almost stoped releasing physical CDs of instrumental scores altogether. Turning Red and Encanto got them because there were also songs with lyrics in those movies. But aside from that, Disney appears to have decided that physical CDs for scores only aren't worth the effort anymore. And maybe they're not. I guess the people who were able to get copies of Dial of Destiny should be happy that Disney saw fit to release it at all.

Disney’s gone from being an unreliable physical media player to being downright hostile.
They did the same thing with Avatar earlier this year in order to wring every last possible dollar out of the digital release before introducing the physical one. I'm sure that is the play here as well.

Last edited:

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
My PR rep has confirmed that a physical release is coming, but no date has been officially announced yet.

I should have a review of the digital release posted here on HTF within a few days after the 8/29 release date.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
I’ve never seen early digital releases as a way to get people to buy both that AND the disc when it comes out later- I’ve seen it as their wanting people to make digital their ONLY way of collecting movies and not buying discs at all.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
The market for digital purchases and subscription streaming is more than ten times the market for physical media. They’re not putting it on digital first to trick people into buying it on digital instead of disc. They’re putting it on digital first because they’re prioritizing the largest market first.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks