What's new

Press Release PHE Press Release: Indiana Jones 4-Movie Movie Collection (4k UHD) (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
2012 BD has this as well Ron might be we are getting an older master or its baked into the OCN due to onset camera focus issues noticed too late to correct as they moved onto other locations!

Map room sequence looks & sound fantastic though as does most of the movie so I can live with it!

Paul, thanks for that information. Haven't watched the BD since its release so I have no memory of any of this which is probably why it seems fresh to me. That makes perfect sense, though.

The map room sequence is indeed one of the finest moments of this transfer.

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
The other more blatant blur is at the very end of the film while Indy and Marion are on the steps of a Washington agency.
The exterior of Washington shot was lifted from "The Hindenburg" and that staircase is in San Francisco's City Hall. You can see the steps also in "Dirty Harry" and "A View To A Kill." The exterior of City Hall is visible in "Tucker: The Man and His Dream."

Last edited:

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
The exterior of Washington shot was lifted from "The Hindenburg" and that staircase is in San Francisco's City Hall. You can see the steps also in "Dirty Harry" and "A View To A Kill." The exterior of City Hall is visible in "Tucker: The Man and His Dream."
And the plane to Nepal is from the remake of Lost Horizon, and of course the submarine and nazi base are the same ones as in Das Boot.

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
Have you seen any indications they've shipped to you?

I have the FedEx app and the package hasn't shown up there yet.

Hoping they send today and it arrives tomorrow, though it's possible Paramount's not sending to me at all. Paramount is good to me but they may be short on these sets!
My review copy arrived this afternoon. Yours?

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
At the beginning of the film when Indy escapes from the jungle on the seaplane. While in flight the conversation between him and the pilot is blurry. Now, that could be just the added effects of flight that cause that blur, so I am not quite certain this is a new issue.

The other more blatant blur is at the very end of the film while Indy and Marion are on the steps of a Washington agency.

There were a few other quick shots that just looked blurry and they are really noticeable as they take you out of these crisp, pristine shots.

I noticed the brief blurriness during the shot with the seaplane. But it looked to me like camera shake due to how it was filmed. In other words, I think that blurriness has been there since day one. I think we only notice it now because everything else is so clean.

We watched Temple of Doom today. It looks gorgeous too. And the plane crash into the side of the mountain still looks just as fake as it always did. :)

Mark

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
And the plane to Nepal is from the remake of Lost Horizon, and of course the submarine and nazi base are the same ones as in Das Boot.
If I recall, the sub interior was from Das Boot, but the exterior miniature is the same one from 1941.

Paul_Warren

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul
Paul, thanks for that information. Haven't watched the BD since its release so I have no memory of any of this which is probably why it seems fresh to me. That makes perfect sense, though.

The map room sequence is indeed one of the finest moments of this transfer.
Indy 3 as well especially the opening in Utah & Canyon Of The Crescent Moon Desert sequences are very much like Lawrence of Arabia & stunning quality :thumbsup:

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Customer support via email takes days. I had to wait on the phone 10 minutes before I got a customer service agent who was actually able to cancel my order.

This means that DeepDiscount still has not received stock as if they were in the process of shipping, cancelation would have been impossible. At least that hurdle is taken care of.

dd.jpg

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Customer support via email takes days. I had to wait on the phone 10 minutes before I got a customer service agent who was actually able to cancel my order.

This means that DeepDiscount still has not received stock as if they were in the process of shipping, cancelation would have been impossible. At least that hurdle is taken care of.

View attachment 99987

Glad to hear you were at least able to get thru by phone in just 10min to cancel. I'll have to remember that next time I need to cancel anything from them...

_Man_

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
How disappointing. I would like to think that in 4K, it would look even more fake!

Haha. That's funny.

Just finished watching TOD as well and absolutely noticed how fake the plane crash looked. It looks like exactly what was done -- the effects artists superimposed a plume of flame over the crashed plane but they didn't make it look seamless.

Another thing that takes me out of the film is during the Mine Cart Chase where you can clearly see the dolls of the three main characters used during the more "off-the-track" turn moments.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Premium
Real Name
Doug
I watched Raiders last night and DAMN, it looks pretty spectacular in Dolby Vision on my 65" OLED. Can't wait to check out TOD and TLC.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Haha. That's funny.

Just finished watching TOD as well and absolutely noticed how fake the plane crash looked. It looks like exactly what was done -- the effects artists superimposed a plume of flame over the crashed plane but they didn't make it look seamless.

Another thing that takes me out of the film is during the Mine Cart Chase where you can clearly see the dolls of the three main characters used during the more "off-the-track" turn moments.
Wasn’t a lot of the mine chase stop-motion animation?

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Wasn’t a lot of the mine chase stop-motion animation?
I believe much of it was

1623360855010.png

They used a Nikon camera (as long a momma didn't take their Kodachrome away ;))!

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Haha. That's funny.

It seems like by 1984 or 1985, special effects hit a level where they were going as far as they could with analog technology. You can hide some of the sins when a scene is dark or a movie is set in space but when you start having scenes in daylight (like the plane crash), you run the risk of the seams being fully on display. Hell, the mine car chase is relatively dark and still looks lousy overall. As much as I wax nostalgic for the days of models, they certainly had their limitations.

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
We watched Last Crusade today. So much fun. The 4K is gorgeous. Unfortunately, Paramount didn’t cure the brief moments of focus issues when our four main characters are riding in the open car.

i think these fleeting moments of focus issues were intentionally inserted to give OCD types the fits. :rolling-smiley:

Mark

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gyao