What's new

Press Release PHE Press Release: Indiana Jones 4-Movie Movie Collection (4k UHD) (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
What about things the audience couldn’t see or didn’t notice because of the nature of film projection or film stock back in the day? The most well known example being the original War of the Worlds. The wires holding up the Martian war machines were nearly invisible when the film was first released. They started showing up very well as early as s the first DVD (though I’m not sure about this) and were very evident by the first blu ray release. They removed them for the last blu ray and I’m glad they did.

That's in the "I won't whine" category. I'm fine if they leave this stuff alone, but I'm also fine if they "fix" it...

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Just finished watching all four films.

They all look spectacular. I think LAST CRUSADE is the best-looking transfer of the bunch. It really, really shines.

Sound-wise, I like a lot of low-end as I have butt-kicker subwoofers in my theater chairs. They never rattled once during RAIDERS and only a little bit during TEMPLE OF DOOM. However, much better response with CRUSADE and SKULL. I know that won't matter to most, but just personal observations I made. Otherwise, the surround sound design of these films is top-notch.

One thing I need to point out...

Today's viewing was CRYSTAL SKULL. THIS was a DIFFICULT watch. Only saw it during its initial theatrical showing and I remember hating it. I just didn't remember why.

Now thirteen years later, I remember why.

First, I was reminded where the term "jump the refrigerator" came from. That scene was one of the all-time most ludicrous moments in motion picture history.

Next, the film just doesn't feel like an Indiana Jones film. While the charm of the first film slowly wore off with each sequel, it's completely non-existent here. Everything about this film is just "silly" and seeing great talents like John Hurt and Cate Blanchett making a fool of themselves is just hurtful as is having to endure nearly two hours with an awful talent like Shia Labeouf (swinging on tree vines no less).

The Indy films are a lot of fun, but this one I will not be revisiting.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Funny- I just finished watching Crystal Skull for the very first time (on DVD)- hated it. The only scene I thought that had any value is when Jones meets Marian for the first time in forever. Dreadful otherwise.

I definitely agree with Ron- Blanchett and Hurt are utterly wasted.

Last edited:

Tino

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I heartily recommend this book to Indiana Jones fans.

1623589267346.jpeg

The Complete Making of Indiana Jones: The Definitive Story Behind All Four Films Amazon product

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
"Nuke the fridge". "Jump the shark". :)
Twas Fonzi who's "efforts" caused the phrase to be coined ...

Sorry the picture quality is bad but ... it is what it is ...

Check out the "fifties (actually early sixties" costumes and hairdoesn'ts :D!

If found it in better quality but wrong AR (isn't that the case?)

Last edited:

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I had forgotten about this. I have the 3 OT Star Wars books by Rinzler, I definitely need to get this one soon!
Since it covers four movies, it's not as in-depth but if you enjoyed Rinzler's Star Wars books, you'll definitely enjoy the Indy one too. He also wrote books on Alien, Aliens, and Planet Of The Apes (haven't read the Apes book) too.

Tommy R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tommy
Since it covers four movies, it's not as in-depth but if you enjoyed Rinzler's Star Wars books, you'll definitely enjoy the Indy one too. He also wrote books on Alien, Aliens, and Planet Of The Apes (haven't read the Apes book) too.
Yeah, it’s amazing how in-depth those Star Wars books were but am relieved that the Indy book is just one, lol. I don’t think I’d have partaken in a while book for each Indy movie, but will gladly read one.

MattBradley

Second Unit
Real Name
Matt Bradley
For me, the fridge scene is no worse than the boat dropping out of the airplane in TOD. There are moments all throughout that would make you cringe if you stopped and thought about them. Landing the mine cart back on the rails, the amount of water that flooded the mines, the plane going through the tunnel as the pilot stares at Indy and his dad and I'm sure we can come up with more but it's just meant to be fun, mindless entertainment.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
I always felt Ford's performance was really lacking in 'Skull. I posted this once on a forum and was criticized because he was "getting older". Nonsense. His performance was much better years later in The Force Awakens.

Tommy R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tommy
For me, the fridge scene is no worse than the boat dropping out of the airplane in TOD. There are moments all throughout that would make you cringe if you stopped and thought about them. Landing the mine cart back on the rails, the amount of water that flooded the mines, the plane going through the tunnel as the pilot stares at Indy and his dad and I'm sure we can come up with more but it's just meant to be fun, mindless entertainment.
Yeah, I never thought the nuking of the fridge was all that bad, and it’s a little bit of a call-back to the original way Marty was going to get back to the future in Back to the Future. There was a fan-made novelization of the first draft I came across on a website years ago, and that whole sequence was actually a pretty cool and intense alternative to the clock tower sequence.

The rest of Crystal Skull though…ugh! I should probably reserve a final judgment about it as I haven’t seen it since the theaters in 2008. I’ll get to my 4K disc soon…

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Premium
Real Name
Doug
The rest of Crystal Skull though…ugh! I should probably reserve a final judgment about it as I haven’t seen it since the theaters in 2008. I’ll get to my 4K disc soon…
I watched it last night. It has not aged well IMO. Easily my least favorite of the four Indy films, and I think the only thing it really has going for it is that Karen Allen showed up.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Twas Fonzi who's "efforts" caused the phrase to be coined ...

Sorry the picture quality is bad but ... it is what it is ...

Check out the "fifties (actually early sixties" costumes and hairdoesn'ts :D!

If found it in better quality but wrong AR (isn't that the case?)

Yeah, I know the origins of "Jump the Shark". Ron had combined "Jump the Shark" with "Nuke the Fridge", which is why I clarified! :)

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

When I watched "ToD" again the other night, I had to admit they made the drop from the plane to the ground look plausible. Not saying it is plausible, but the movie creates the illusion it'd work.

However, "ToD" loses that sense of "reality" when they go over the falls, mainly because the "stunt raft" bucks like a crazed bronco and it's clear all its inhabitants would've gotten tossed out! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jasonrany
Recent bookmarks