What's new

3D Petition to Restore and Release WB 3D Classic (1 Viewer)

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
I am so behind in my BD purchases, but never am I behind in adding more titles to my list.
In this case, it's not just one title, but three; being Warner's "Kiss Me, Kate", "House of Wax" and "Dial M for Murder".
Wow, how did the availability of these gems get by me?
My thanks to RAH for pointing these out.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I am so behind in my BD purchases, but never am I behind in adding more titles to my list.
In this case, it's not just one title, but three; being Warner's "Kiss Me, Kate", "House of Wax" and "Dial M for Murder".
Wow, how did the availability of these gems get by me?
My thanks to RAH for pointing these out.

All beautiful titles, although as I recall, one was a bit heavy for projection. All 3 fine for 3D panels.

All three, classic 3D.

Incidentally, KMK had slightly different cuts of the film for 2D and 3D.

Last edited:

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I didn't sign the petition for two reasons:
1) I don't think it will do any good for reasons already stated in this thread
2) When I look at it the intent of the petition, it isn't to restore and release the films on 3D, but to restore and release them using a SPECIFIC COMPANY. It seems to me that the petition is more about getting that company involved than getting the titles restored (not sure that they even need to be) and released.

Warner has done a fine job restoring their films. I'm not sure what the advantage is to have that outsourced to a third party, and it seems like that would make WB even less likely to follow up on the petition.

Note: I have nothing against 3D Film Archive and don't think they are behind the petition.

Adam: Good to hear from you! My feeling is that your No. 1 reason for not signing the petition is arguable. It might well not "do any good," but is that a reason for not trying? A defeatist attitude will definitely not yield results, except negative ones.

As to your No. 2 reason: Well, that is your opinion and neither I nor anyone else can take that from you. I disagree with it, but respect it. At least you made a thoughtful choice.

Any studio that might be reading these threads will at least be able to see there is still a lot of interest in 3D Blu-ray, and that's the important thing.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
On a separate note, it saddens me that within a community of so called film and 3D enthusiasts, some, not all, but some reduce themselves to splitting hairs on my post to extrapolate things that are neither implied nor present. It comes across as selfish and petulant and therefore eliminates any credibility to what is nothing more than a pedantic essay of self glorification. Really? WHO CARES WHO DOES THE RESTORATIONS? We live in a free and open society do we not? If you truly love 3D as an art form and you are truly a supporter and of preservation of vintage celluloid then lighten up. If you sign the petition great if you dont, that's great too but to imply that I'm pandering to a certain company is insane and tasteless. And that's all I got to say about that.
Let's stop with the insults please and that applies to all participants in this thread. Either each of us sign the petition or you don't sign it is still a personal decision.

Last edited:

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Good. That kind of thing is a gigantic turn-off to potential new users. At best it would just encourage a plethora of meaningless posts just to meet the quota. Continued good moderation is the way to handle it.

I see it as a way to make sure people are part of the "community" and not just hopping on for their one topic of interest and that's it.

Also seems like it'd decrease spamming and mean less work for the mods...

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I think there used to be a minimum post requirement but it was pretty low, something like 7 posts.

Noel Aguirre

Supporter
Real Name
noel
I was trying to step away, but might I now request that discussions of restorations cease?

While I would applaud quality 3D films being released to home video, most will not necessitate restoration, merely post work.

Let’s not confuse the issue, please.

Also, WB did their own work on Kate, Wax and M.

Sorry to disagree with you but 3D Flesh for Frankenstein
most certainly does need a major restoration.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
On a separate note, it saddens me that within a community of so called film and 3D enthusiasts, some, not all, but some reduce themselves to splitting hairs on my post to extrapolate things that are neither implied nor present. It comes across as selfish and petulant and therefore eliminates any credibility to what is nothing more than a pedantic essay of self glorification. Really? WHO CARES WHO DOES THE RESTORATIONS? We live in a free and open society do we not? If you truly love 3D as an art form and you are truly a supporter and of preservation of vintage celluloid then lighten up. If you sign the petition great if you don't, that's great too but to imply that I'm pandering to a certain company is insane and tasteless. And that's all I got to say about that.

Nothing against you, William, but you might better have stopped with post #52, as the above post sounds accusatory. Too easy for people to take it personally. After twelve years, I'm still learning about forum etiquette, so this suggestion is based upon my own experience.

bobclampett

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike Banks
Just wish Robert Harris response to the post was more polite. I signed the petition and applaud anyone who cares and makes an effort. The single chip DLP projector totally aces 3D, which I've owned for a few years now. The 3D is better than my local multiplex. Warner and the 3D Film Archive have both done very nice work on classic 3D movies. Movie watching, 2D or 3D, is much better when projected. It's not hard to get a room dark or make a screen. I think too many people are missing out on a great home theatre experience at a fraction of the cost of big screen TV. Plus you don't have to lug that 50 pound TV home from the big box store.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Just wish Robert Harris response to the post was more polite. I signed the petition and applaud anyone who cares and makes an effort. The single chip DLP projector totally aces 3D, which I've owned for a few years now. The 3D is better than my local multiplex. Warner and the 3D Film Archive have both done very nice work on classic 3D movies. Movie watching, 2D or 3D, is much better when projected. It's not hard to get a room dark or make a screen. I think too many people are missing out on a great home theatre experience at a fraction of the cost of big screen TV. Plus you don't have to lug that 50 pound TV home from the big box store.
What projector do you have? What screen do you use with it?

Reactions: PMF

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks