What's new

3D Petition to Restore and Release WB 3D Classic (1 Viewer)

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
Although I may have missed something, my understanding has been that Warner"s requirement that all work be done in house has meant a higher cost for their 3D releases than would be the case if some of the work was done by 3D Film Archive.

The OP was correct that the cost of restoring such titles would be significantly less if WB handed the licenses over the 3D Film Archives.

Well....yeah.

But, and I admire you both greatly and mean absolutely NO disrespect in this, so what? I'm sure the costs of restoring ANY WB title would be significantly less than they are if they farmed some of the work out to another house. We're lucky that they've just started licensing some titles to Criterion. They want to remain custodians of their own product and they absolutely have that right. 500 signatures on a change.org petition isn't going to alter their policy any more than 500 strangers sending you a signed letter telling you they've decided you need to move your blu-ray collection to the second floor of your house because it's safer there.

I can't speak for anybody else, but my personal objection to the OP and the original post was the way we sometimes see people pop up out of the blue and, by way of introduction and with no other preamble, try to sell us something or "get" something from us that they need. He may have had the BEST of intentions, I don't know, but I've spent twenty years here (which BOGGLES my mind) and I don't take kindly to our membership being treated that way, intentionally or not.

Last edited:

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
I concur with the sentiments in this post. Like the rest of us, I've no idea who "Reload3D" is or what his overall knowledge is about the workings of bringing a classic 3D movie to the public. Given that his post is courteous, if naïve, I do think that Mr. Harris' response was disingenuous toward someone who has apparently just joined the forum. I signed his petition with no particular expectation that it will influence WAC, but rather as a show of support for getting more 3D titles into the market. The OP was correct that the cost of restoring such titles would be significantly less if WB handed the licenses over the 3D Film Archives. That has been proven time and time again. So, I guess, as a very longtime member here, I wonder why this poster was condescended to by someone who is understood by everyone here to be an expert in his field, when a more supportive and informative reply, such as post #6, might have better been posted in the #2 slot. Hopefully Reload3D has not been scared off.

This is not to admonish Mr. Harris, who has my unlimited gratitude and respect, but rather, it is intended to relate that we might have welcomed the OP in a much less adversarial way, and then educated him about the difficulties and expense of bringing classic 3D to home video.

:)

Good post. I've reread the OP a couple of times to see if I've missed something, but I haven't. It's just a 3D fan trying to get more releases. All clubs need new members to develop and thrive, otherwise it's just old-timers talking amongst themselves.

phillyrobt

Second Unit
Real Name
Robt C
I first learned about this petition on a 3D Facebook site. Then later saw it on another site with a 3D forum and then this site.
So the original poster was just reaching out to like minds that would potentially sign a petition. As this post from years ago generated many 3d related posts https://www.hometheaterforum.com/co...ein-re-the-warner-bros-archives.351583/page-7. I could see why Mr. Platt found his way here.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
We have had several "please keep supporting 3D" petitions, both in hardware and software over the years. Not a single one has succeeded because you're expecting the manufacturer to do something specifically FOR YOU at a loss FOR THEM. It's a dead horse and an even deader one than the last time it came up.

phillyrobt

Second Unit
Real Name
Robt C
Uh no. Warner is still supporting 3D blu-ray releases more than any other studio. This is a petition for them to utilize the same techniques that have been successful for Universal as well as a boutique label for Paramount for the release of their catalog.
There are quotes from a Warner executive on 2 podcasts acknowledging their holdings and how it was a mission statement from Warner to release them.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I honestly don't think we'll ever see him again. I have a feeling his interest in HTF begins and ends with what signatures he can get from the community to further his aim.

Yup. Joined 3 days ago and has one post: the OP in this thread.

On the other board I visit, I believe new members need at least 50 posts before they can start a thread.

Maybe the HTF needs the same threshold to prevent people from posting one thread and never actually participating otherwise...

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
We have had several "please keep supporting 3D" petitions, both in hardware and software over the years. Not a single one has succeeded because you're expecting the manufacturer to do something specifically FOR YOU at a loss FOR THEM. It's a dead horse and an even deader one than the last time it came up.

Gotta try, man. Otherwise, give up.

RichMurphy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rich
I honestly don't think we'll ever see him again.

Me neither. Given the very first reply he received to his very first post, I can't imagine why he would ever want to have anything to do with this forum again.

Yes, his post was, to be kind, naive and ill-informed. But I didn't read it as an attack on integrity or professionalism, unless as someone suggested, we are seeing only an edited version stripped of its original nastiness. If that is the case, I apologize in advance.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I don’t think the original post was put up in bad faith or to create a problem. But it seems to me to be in violation of the HTF posting guidelines, which state that you shouldn’t come to HTF solely for the purpose of sharing outside links or business ventures without first asking permission from ownership. And I think if the poster had gone through those channels, he might have been directed to join one of the existing conversations on this topic and participate in the community. I’m always happy to welcome new members and hear new voices in the conversation. I’m less enthused about being asked to give my time or attention to something off-site when the person promoting it doesn’t have an interest in engaging with our community.

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
Me neither. Given the very first reply he received to his very first post, I can't imagine why he would ever want to have anything to do with this forum again.

Now, you know that's not what I meant.

When I said we'd probably never see him again it's because I believe that posting that petition for us to sign was both the beginning and the end of his interest in us. I doubt he'll even check back in to see how it landed. If he knew, he'd likely be quite surprised and find it very funny that we've gone on for two pages.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I don’t think the original post was put up in bad faith or to create a problem. But it seems to me to be in violation of the HTF posting guidelines, which state that you shouldn’t come to HTF solely for the purpose of sharing outside links or business ventures without first asking permission from ownership. And I think if the poster had gone through those channels, he might have been directed to join one of the existing conversations on this topic and participate in the community. I’m always happy to welcome new members and hear new voices in the conversation. I’m less enthused about being asked to give my time or attention to something off-site when the person promoting it doesn’t have an interest in engaging with our community.
Let's stop with the speculation about the OP's motivation as ownership and the moderator staff are aware of this thread so can we move on please. If people want to sign that petition or not, it's strictly up to them.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick

Sir (or Madam): I've said this before and will say it again now, at the risk or irritating some of our members. 3D was, for about five years, a viable -- though expensive -- format that a relatively small number of us took to wholeheartedly and spent an amazing amount of our disposable (and not-so-disposable) incomes for to add to our home theaters. My 3D software numbers roughly 200 titles, many of them necessarily purchased overseas because the studios and hardware manufacturers in this country simply dropped us after they'd gotten our money and left us hung out to dry. I have an enormous investment in this format and, damn it, I'm going to fight to try to keep it alive and even revive it from the dead here in the U.S. Thus, my support of the OP's petition.

Movies are still being made and theatrically released in 3D, and Europe still supports this software. It is true that WB does on occasion supply a domestic 3D release, but not always. Disney has truly screwed the 3D enthusiast, as even their more recent Marvel 3D titles and their own in-house animated films are only available from Europe (but they are all region-free, so if you're still on the edge about investing in an all-region player...). And they were the ones who had drawn me into investing in the format more so than any other studio.

For those of you who couldn't give a rat's ass about 3D, well...I sort of envy you. But you needn't be making an attempt to diminish its importance to some of us here by suggesting we just drop the whole thing and move on. No! Not unless you want to send me a check for $3,000 with which I can purchase a replacement for my 65" LG 4K/3D display, if I can even find one when the time comes. We 3D collectors do not ask that the rest of you dash out and begin purchasing 3D displays and movies...only that you drop the sarcasm and the adverse remarks that, intentionally or not, serve as wooden stakes through the hearts of the format's supporters. And that includes Mr. Platt.

P.S. As I've emphasized dozens of times, kudos to the fellows at 3D Film Archives for leading the continuing effort to get the Holy Grail classics out on disc for us to see and own. Remarkable work!

Last edited:

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
As I've emphasized dozens of times, kudos to the fellows at 3D Film Archives for leading the continuing effort to get the Holy Grail classics out on disc for us to see and own. Remarkable work!

Indeed! I just had reason to reorganize my movie shelf and I took the opportunity to put the 3D Film Archive discs all together. What a marvelous blend of pictures and genres, all looking great, many with restored sound mixes that are just as big of revelations as the 3D visuals. Couldn’t imagine parting with any of them. Just wish I had more free time to rewatch more often!

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Sir (or Madam): I've said this before and will say it again now, at the risk or irritating some of our members. 3D was, for about five years, a viable -- though expensive -- format that a relatively small number of us took to wholeheartedly and spent an amazing amount of our disposable (and not-so-disposable) incomes for to add to our home theaters. My 3D software numbers roughly 200 titles, many of them necessarily purchased overseas because the studios and hardware manufacturers in this country simply dropped us after they'd gotten our money and left us hung out to dry. I have an enormous investment in this format and, damn it, I'm going to fight to try to keep it alive and even revive it from the dead here in the U.S. Thus, my support of the OP's petition.

Movies are still being made and theatrically released in 3D, and Europe still supports this software. It is true that WB does on occasion supply a domestic 3D release, but not always. Disney has truly screwed the 3D enthusiast, as even their more recent Marvel 3D titles and their own in-house animated films are only available from Europe (but they are all region-free, so if you're still on the edge about investing in an all-region player...). And they were the ones who had drawn me into investing in the format more so than any other studio.

For those of you who couldn't give a rat's ass about 3D, well...I sort of envy you. But you needn't be making an attempt to diminish its importance to some of us here by suggesting we just drop the whole thing and move on. No! Not unless you want to send me a check for $3,000 with which I can purchase a replacement for my 65" LG 4K/3D display, if I can even find one when the time comes. We 3D collectors do not ask that the rest of you dash out and begin purchasing 3D displays and movies...only that you drop the sarcasm and the adverse remarks that, intentionally or not, serve as wooden stakes through the hearts of the format's supporters. And that includes Mr. Platt.

P.S. As I've emphasized dozens of times, kudos to the fellows at 3D Film Archives for leading the continuing effort to get the Holy Grail classics out on disc for us to see and own. Remarkable work!
Dick: come on. No-one in this thread has suggested that fans of 3D should drop it and move on. No-one has made adverse or sarcastic remarks about 3D or about 3D enthusiasts.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

I can't disagree with you more than what you stated in the those comments in bold. I have three 3-D displays in my home with over 200 3-D Blu-rays in my film collection and I'm not seeing any of what you suggested with those comments. I find your comments kind of disheartening that you would assert those that question this petition's effectiveness as being anti-3-D with no concern for those supporting this petition. Please, stop that false narrative! It's not right nor is it true. Don't let your frustration with how the industry has treated us 3-D consumers get to you by besmirching other participants in this thread.

Last edited:

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Now, you know that's not what I meant.

When I said we'd probably never see him again it's because I believe that posting that petition for us to sign was both the beginning and the end of his interest in us. I doubt he'll even check back in to see how it landed. If he knew, he'd likely be quite surprised and find it very funny that we've gone on for two pages.
He should see the LG Petition one. That one went on for 70 pages.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks