What's new

3D Petition to Restore and Release WB 3D Classic (1 Viewer)

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
We have had several "please keep supporting 3D" petitions, both in hardware and software over the years. Not a single one has succeeded because you're expecting the manufacturer to do something specifically FOR YOU at a loss FOR THEM. It's a dead horse and an even deader one than the last time it came up.
If not "FOR YOU" or for me, then who else?:D:3dglasses::D

Last edited:

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I can't disagree with you more than what you stated in the those comments in bold. I have three 3-D displays in my home with over 200 3-D Blu-rays in my film collection and I'm not seeing any of what you suggested with those comments. I find your comments kind of disheartening that you would assert those that question this petition's effectiveness as being anti-3-D with no concern for those supporting this petition. Please, stop that false narrative! It's not right nor is it true. Don't let your frustration with how the industry has treated us 3-D consumers get to you by besmirching other participants in this thread.

Perhaps I should have made clear that my comments about sarcasm, etc. were meant as a cumulative reaction to comments in all threads from years past in which such dissing of 3D enthusiasts' efforts to keep the format alive absolutely did get posted. Then I saw the some of the reactions to the OP of this thread and, like you, Robert, was "disheartened" by a few of them that, in so many words, suggest that those of us continuing this (admittedly probably futile) fight are simply doomed to failure or that we shouldn't continue to alert studios of our continuing devotion to 3D. I meant no disrespect to anyone here, and apologize for writing a paragraph that wasn't more succinct.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
I am not 3D equipped; but I do continue to root for those who are.
IMHO, the bottom line here is that whatever our chosen format may be, we are crazy passionate about our films.
And that, my friends, is something that could never be misinterpreted nor refuted.:)

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
I am not 3D equipped; but I do continue to root for those who are.
IMHO, the bottom line here is that whatever our chosen format may be, we are crazy passionate about our films.
And that, my friends, is something that could never be misinterpreted nor refuted.:)
When I see threads like this though I think "bargaining phase". Eventually we're going to make it to stage 7.

Paul Penna

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Given the 3D Film Archive's excellent work on IT CAME FROM OUTER SPACE and THE CREATURE FROM THE BLACK LAGOON, are we to assume that Universal Pictures is "run by idiots"?
The Archive didn't do any work on Creature, and it kind of shows, as Universal "pushed" the 3D window forward. They DID, however, work on Revenge of the Creature.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
In case nobody noticed, the Warner Archive has just reissued Dial M for Murder and Kiss Me Kate on 3D Blu-ray. At least with Warner controlling their own product, you know they will do things right. I'm not saying they never make a mistake, but they certainly don't do boneheaded things like downmixing existing 5.1 tracks to 2.0 or worse yet stereo tracks to mono, and they also wouldn't accidentally release frame-packed 3D as side-by-side 3D. :)

Noel Aguirre

Supporter
Real Name
noel
3D movie preservation is a MUST- and it’s not just about home video.
And can we get a petition going for Flesh for Frankenstein while we’re at it over to Criterion?

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Given the 3D Film Archive's excellent work on IT CAME FROM OUTER SPACE and THE CREATURE FROM THE BLACK LAGOON, are we to assume that Universal Pictures is "run by idiots"?
The Archive didn't do any work on Creature, and it kind of shows, as Universal "pushed" the 3D window forward. They DID, however, work on Revenge of the Creature.
The blu-ray release of which was botched by Universal, so yes, I think we have to wonder about who is guiding the ship.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
I didn't sign the petition for two reasons:
1) I don't think it will do any good for reasons already stated in this thread
2) When I look at it the intent of the petition, it isn't to restore and release the films on 3D, but to restore and release them using a SPECIFIC COMPANY. It seems to me that the petition is more about getting that company involved than getting the titles restored (not sure that they even need to be) and released.

Warner has done a fine job restoring their films. I'm not sure what the advantage is to have that outsourced to a third party, and it seems like that would make WB even less likely to follow up on the petition.

Note: I have nothing against 3D Film Archive and don't think they are behind the petition.

Reload3D

Auditioning
Real Name
William Platt
Hello everyone. Thank you to everyone who supports the effort so far. Perhaps it is just a pipe dream to see these films restored and released however, nothing can be obtained without first asking and that is the point of my petition. A small voice is better than no voice so again, thank you all for the support. Please be aware that I AM NOT AFFILIATED with 3-D Film Archive or any of its employees and I am certainly not receiving any type of incentive from them or Warner Brothers. I am simply a 3D enthusiast familiar with 3-D Film Archive through watching the extras on previously released titles and the information on the history of 3D provided on their website. The intent of my petition is innocuous and simplistic. I am a fan that craves more 3D. At the end of the day, I don't care if 3DFA does it or if Whistler's Mother does it. I just want to see it done.

Again, thank you for the support.

Reload3D

Auditioning
Real Name
William Platt
On a separate note, it saddens me that within a community of so called film and 3D enthusiasts, some, not all, but some reduce themselves to splitting hairs on my post to extrapolate things that are neither implied nor present. It comes across as selfish and petulant and therefore eliminates any credibility to what is nothing more than a pedantic essay of self glorification. Really? WHO CARES WHO DOES THE RESTORATIONS? We live in a free and open society do we not? If you truly love 3D as an art form and you are truly a supporter and of preservation of vintage celluloid then lighten up. If you sign the petition great if you dont, that's great too but to imply that I'm pandering to a certain company is insane and tasteless. And that's all I got to say about that.

Gary Seven

Grand Poo Pah
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gaston
3D movie preservation is a MUST- and it’s not just about home video.
And can we get a petition going for Flesh for Frankenstein while we’re at it over to Criterion?
Yes... I've been asking for this for a long time. I saw this in the theaters in 3D for a midnight showing (80s) and the 3D was GREAT. Lots of pop-out. And the film is so over the top.

Mike Ballew

Second Unit
Real Name
MIKE BALLEW
The 3-D Film Archive is emphatically not responsible for this petition, but we welcome this warm expression of fan support for our work. We would be delighted to help any studio preserve, restore, and present its classic 3-D library.

With regards to the Blu-ray of Revenge of the Creature, we have always regretted the spoiled first pressing, which offered a substandard half-SBS 3-D edition of the film. To make clear to those who may not know, this was an authoring mistake, which Universal worked very hard to set right. The involvement of the 3-D Film Archive in getting that fun film to Blu-ray was strictly a matter of addressing alignment and phasing issues that sometimes afflict nearly every vintage 3-D title.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
On a separate note, it saddens me that within a community of so called film and 3D enthusiasts, some, not all, but some reduce themselves to splitting hairs on my post to extrapolate things that are neither implied nor present. It comes across as selfish and petulant and therefore eliminates any credibility to what is nothing more than a pedantic essay of self glorification. Really? WHO CARES WHO DOES THE RESTORATIONS? We live in a free and open society do we not? If you truly love 3D as an art form and you are truly a supporter and of preservation of vintage celluloid then lighten up. If you sign the petition great if you dont, that's great too but to imply that I'm pandering to a certain company is insane and tasteless. And that's all I got to say about that.
I'm not sure your intent was fully understood. Everyone is entitled to their opinion based on the information in front of them.

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
3-D Film Archive is the only company I know of actively restoring these older 3D classics. The studios are not. I can see why 3-D Film Archive was mentioned. Some people look for controversy.

I thought I read that Universal Studio restored "Creature from the Black Lagoon" in-house? I know it wasn't 3-D Films.

I have to admit, reading the title of the petition did come across to me as a plug for 3-D Film Archive. Knowing WB likes to do restorations in-house and knowing ultimately the petition is going to be sent to WB, it does seem a bit of a mistake to reference an outside source. If it can be adjusted, it might be better suited to just petition for continued 3D restorations by WB, without naming who should be doing it.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I thought I read that Universal Studio restored "Creature from the Black Lagoon" in-house? I know it wasn't 3-D Films.

I have to admit, reading the title of the petition did come across to me as a plug for 3-D Film Archive. Knowing WB likes to do restorations in-house and knowing ultimately the petition is going to be sent to WB, it does seem a bit of a mistake to reference an outside source. If it can be adjusted, it might be better suited to just petition for continued 3D restorations by WB, without naming who should be doing it.

I was trying to step away, but might I now request that discussions of restorations cease?

While I would applaud quality 3D films being released to home video, most will not necessitate restoration, merely post work.

Let’s not confuse the issue, please.

Also, WB did their own work on Kate, Wax and M.

Gary Seven

Grand Poo Pah
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gaston

I was speaking currently. I believe Creature was released several years ago. Either way, I am looking for the release of these classics, regardless who preps them.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks