What's new

3D Petition to Restore and Release WB 3D Classic (1 Viewer)

Reload3D

Auditioning
Real Name
William Platt
We have started a petition to have Warner Brothers work with the brilliant team at 3D Film Archive to restore and release their dozen-or-so 3D titles in their Library. Please sign the petition below. We are almost at two hundred signatures in just the first two days. If we can reach 1000 change.org will send the petition to Warner Brothers on our behalf. Feel free to share the link to the petition on any and all pages forms and social media you may be on. Let’s get these home on Blu-ray 3D where they belong. Thanks to Bob...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
We have started a petition to have Warner Brothers work with the brilliant team at 3D Film Archive to restore and release their dozen-or-so 3D titles in their Library. Please sign the petition below. We are almost at two hundred signatures in just the first two days. If we can reach 1000 change.org will send the petition to Warner Brothers on our behalf. Feel free to share the link to the petition on any and all pages forms and social media you may be on. Let's get these home on Blu-ray 3D where they belong. Thanks to Bob!
https://www.change.org/p/warner-brothers-restore-and-release-warner-brothers-3d-classics-with-3-d-film-archive?recruiter=890572282&utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=copylink&utm_campaign=share_petition&utm_term=Search>SAP>US>NonBrand-Tier 1>Creation>Exact

Forgive me, but do you actually believe that WB is run by idiots?

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
For a motion picture to be pulled from the vault, where it sits in cold storage, certain functions and attributes must be met.

Why is it being removed? For what purpose?

Is the specific title (or titles) a viable candidate for preservation, or restoration, should restoration be necessary?

What are the budgets? Precisely how much money are you asking for - to the dollar?

What division of the company will fund?

How quickly will expenditures be returned?

What is the purpose of the work, and where is the presumed audience that will pay to see the titles in question?

What other workload, and budgets will be displaced by reallocating funds?

When it comes down to making the final decisions, and placing one’s name, reputation, and job security on the line, do you recommend Charge of the Light Brigade, The Harvey Girls, Elizabeth and Essex, The Nun’s Story, Raintree County, Brothers Grimm, or Rue Morgue?

Pick the single title that will bring funds back into the budgetary coffers the most quickly, and have the largest fan base.

And pick that title, knowing that your job is on the line.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
. . . . When it comes down to making the final decisions, and placing one’s name, reputation, and job security on the line, do you recommend Charge of the Light Brigade, The Harvey Girls, Elizabeth and Essex, The Nun’s Story, Raintree County, Brothers Grimm, or Rue Morgue? . . .
Even without my job being at risk, I would be unable to guess which of those titles would be the most suitable first candidate for remedial treatment.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
It seems an innocuous petition with a laudable aim. It might be naive, for sure, but I’m not sure why it merited a snarky rebuke from someone who thinks his thread titles should be trademarked.
"A Few Words About..." is correct in its being trademarked.
It is an established and legitimate column authored by a globally known film archivist, historian and educator.
As it is, "A Few Words About..." had long ago become an HTF cornerstone and hallmark, as well.

To say "Snarky", though, may require a bit of calibration; especially if one is not yet attuned to the cadences of RAH's instructive and dry-witted brevity. Re-read both of his replies, and one will arrive at its truer answer that WAC and Warner's absolutely does have their fingers on the pulse and is fully aware; not only for what home viewers are craving, but also for what is pragmatic in sustaining the life-blood of their own financial program.

Take it from me, as I've been petitioning for the release of"Ryan's Daughter"; and mind you, this is for just a single title versus a dozen;
but along the way of my own 4-year thread, I have become well educated on the myriad of obstacles and considerations that are involved. As for WAC's alternative releases and offerings? Many, many, many...and quite magnificent.

With that said, let us welcome newest member Reload3D; who recently joined HTF on Friday.:thumbs-up-smiley:

Last edited:

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
Although very many titles have been released (including many surprises) all of us have lists of unreleased films. Only three of my 2014 list have been released and most of the missing are Warner titles. At this stage in the format I am grateful for those that are released on disc rather than only streamed.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Petition or no, personally I would like to see Phantom of the Rue Morgue and the 3D shorts Warner owns (Lumberjack Rabbit, The Ace of Space, Third Dimensional Murder) before my 3D tv gives out. I also would love Charge of the Light Brigade and Raintree County.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
As 3D TV are no longer made, a 3D video has a limited audience and that audience will shrink once the existing TVs are replaced. Almost like asking for a release in beta max after the machines were no longer manufactured. On the other hand I still have a 50 inch Plasma HD not even 1K whose picture I prefer to current 4K models. I am sure existing 3D TVs will be around for many years to come. So to each his own.

https://www.lifewire.com/why-3d-tv-died-4126776

Last edited:

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
With that said, let us welcome newest member Reload3D; who recently joined HTF on Friday.:thumbs-up-smiley:

I honestly don't think we'll ever see him again. I have a feeling his interest in HTF begins and ends with what signatures he can get from the community to further his aim.

500 signatures on a change.org petition isn't going to spur WB into any kind of specific action anyway and the whole post feels exploitive. It's put my back up.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
The new member’s first post was an attack upon the integrity and professionalism of a major studio that has been a long-time friend and supporter of HTF.

A far cry from “hi, my name is... and I’m a new member.”

His post was answered, without response.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
The new member’s first post was an attack upon the integrity and professionalism of a major studio that has been a long-time friend and supporter of HTF.

A far cry from “hi, my name is... and I’m a new member.”

His post was answered, without response.
Perhaps something was deleted, but I didn"t get the "attack" part of the OP. No one disputes that Warner"s 3D releases are top notch. Although I may have missed something, my understanding has been that Warner"s requirement that all work be done in house has meant a higher cost for their 3D releases than would be the case if some of the work was done by 3D Film Archive. This, in turn, has made releasing 3D titles more difficult. I doubt if they'll change their policy, but the petition may help convince them of the continuing interest in classic 3D titles.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I honestly don't think we'll ever see him again. I have a feeling his interest in HTF begins and ends with what signatures he can get from the community to further his aim.

500 signatures on a change.org petition isn't going to spur WB into any kind of specific action anyway and the whole post feels exploitive. It's put my back up.

The problem is 5M signatures on a petition won't make any difference vs a single handwritten letter to the proper person or a Phone Call.

Better -- 500K names, addresses, and standing orders plus a $50M War Chest deposited in a local bank and a Phone Call from Mr Harris will almost certainly get some results, anyone want to start one?

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Perhaps something was deleted, but I didn"t get the "attack" part of the OP. No one disputes that Warner"s 3D releases are top notch. Although I may have missed something, my understanding has been that Warner"s requirement that all work be done in house has meant a higher cost for their 3D releases than would be the case if some of the work was done by 3D Film Archive. This, in turn, has made releasing 3D titles more difficult. I doubt if they'll change their policy, but the petition may help convince them of the continuing interest in classic 3D titles.

I concur with the sentiments in this post. Like the rest of us, I've no idea who "Reload3D" is or what his overall knowledge is about the workings of bringing a classic 3D movie to the public. Given that his post is courteous, if naïve, I do think that Mr. Harris' response was disingenuous toward someone who has apparently just joined the forum. I signed his petition with no particular expectation that it will influence WAC, but rather as a show of support for getting more 3D titles into the market. The OP was correct that the cost of restoring such titles would be significantly less if WB handed the licenses over the 3D Film Archives. That has been proven time and time again. So, I guess, as a very longtime member here, I wonder why this poster was condescended to by someone who is understood by everyone here to be an expert in his field, when a more supportive and informative reply, such as post #6, might have better been posted in the #2 slot. Hopefully Reload3D has not been scared off.

This is not to admonish Mr. Harris, who has my unlimited gratitude and respect, but rather, it is intended to relate that we might have welcomed the OP in a much less adversarial way, and then educated him about the difficulties and expense of bringing classic 3D to home video.

:)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks