1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

3D Petition to Restore and Release WB 3D Classic

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Reload3D, Sep 20, 2019.

1. Reload3D

Reload3D Auditioning

William Platt
    We have started a petition to have Warner Brothers work with the brilliant team at 3D Film Archive to restore and release their dozen-or-so 3D titles in their Library. Please sign the petition below. We are almost at two hundred signatures in just the first two days. If we can reach 1000 change.org will send the petition to Warner Brothers on our behalf. Feel free to share the link to the petition on any and all pages forms and social media you may be on. Let's get these home on Blu-ray 3D where they belong. Thanks to Bob!
    https://www.change.org/p/warner-brothers-restore-and-release-warner-brothers-3d-classics-with-3-d-film-archive?recruiter=890572282&utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=copylink&utm_campaign=share_petition&utm_term=Search>SAP>US>NonBrand-Tier 1>Creation>Exact

2. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Archivist
    Reviewer

Robert Harris
    Forgive me, but do you actually believe that WB is run by idiots?

Lord Dalek, nara, Will Krupp and 9 others like this.
  3. dana martin

dana martin Producer

Dana Martin
    Forgive me, admire the passion, but which titles are you exactly asking for? A classic title or something more recent? As far as I know Warner Brothers does all theirs in house and every release that I've gotten from them 3D wise has been outstanding.

4. Message #4 of 73 Sep 22, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2019
    Mike Ballew

Mike Ballew Second Unit

MIKE BALLEW
    I support this petition.

5. Ross Gowland

Ross Gowland Stunt Coordinator

Ross Gowland
    It seems an innocuous petition with a laudable aim. It might be naive, for sure, but I’m not sure why it merited a snarky rebuke from someone who thinks his thread titles should be trademarked.

ThadK and phillyrobt like this.
  6. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Archivist
    Reviewer

Robert Harris
    For a motion picture to be pulled from the vault, where it sits in cold storage, certain functions and attributes must be met.

Why is it being removed? For what purpose?

Is the specific title (or titles) a viable candidate for preservation, or restoration, should restoration be necessary?

What are the budgets? Precisely how much money are you asking for - to the dollar?

What division of the company will fund?

How quickly will expenditures be returned?

What is the purpose of the work, and where is the presumed audience that will pay to see the titles in question?

What other workload, and budgets will be displaced by reallocating funds?

When it comes down to making the final decisions, and placing one’s name, reputation, and job security on the line, do you recommend Charge of the Light Brigade, The Harvey Girls, Elizabeth and Essex, The Nun’s Story, Raintree County, Brothers Grimm, or Rue Morgue?

Pick the single title that will bring funds back into the budgetary coffers the most quickly, and have the largest fan base.

And pick that title, knowing that your job is on the line.

7. Robin9

Robin9 Producer

Robin
    Even without my job being at risk, I would be unable to guess which of those titles would be the most suitable first candidate for remedial treatment.

Will Krupp and PMF like this.
  8. Message #8 of 73 Sep 23, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2019
    PMF

PMF Producer

Philip
    "A Few Words About..." is correct in its being trademarked.
    It is an established and legitimate column authored by a globally known film archivist, historian and educator.
    As it is, "A Few Words About..." had long ago become an HTF cornerstone and hallmark, as well.

To say "Snarky", though, may require a bit of calibration; especially if one is not yet attuned to the cadences of RAH's instructive and dry-witted brevity. Re-read both of his replies, and one will arrive at its truer answer that WAC and Warner's absolutely does have their fingers on the pulse and is fully aware; not only for what home viewers are craving, but also for what is pragmatic in sustaining the life-blood of their own financial program.

Take it from me, as I've been petitioning for the release of"Ryan's Daughter"; and mind you, this is for just a single title versus a dozen;
    but along the way of my own 4-year thread, I have become well educated on the myriad of obstacles and considerations that are involved. As for WAC's alternative releases and offerings? Many, many, many...and quite magnificent.

With that said, let us welcome newest member Reload3D; who recently joined HTF on Friday.:thumbs-up-smiley:

9. Joseph Goodman

Joseph Goodman Stunt Coordinator

With the track record of success these kind of petitions have, this will surely succeed, just like the rest of them, particularly since home video sales are at an all-time high, and not at all on a year-to-year precipitous decline.

Conrad_SSS, nara, Stephen_J_H and 2 others like this.
  10. Keith Cobby

Keith Cobby Cinematographer

Keith Cobby
    Although very many titles have been released (including many surprises) all of us have lists of unreleased films. Only three of my 2014 list have been released and most of the missing are Warner titles. At this stage in the format I am grateful for those that are released on disc rather than only streamed.

11. Tony Bensley

Tony Bensley Producer

Anthony
    Signed and shared on Facebook! :)

CHEERS! :)

12. JoeDoakes

JoeDoakes Cinematographer

Ray
    Petition or no, personally I would like to see Phantom of the Rue Morgue and the 3D shorts Warner owns (Lumberjack Rabbit, The Ace of Space, Third Dimensional Murder) before my 3D tv gives out. I also would love Charge of the Light Brigade and Raintree County.

phillyrobt, Camps and PMF like this.
  13. Message #13 of 73 Sep 23, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2019
    Garysb

Garysb Cinematographer

As 3D TV are no longer made, a 3D video has a limited audience and that audience will shrink once the existing TVs are replaced. Almost like asking for a release in beta max after the machines were no longer manufactured. On the other hand I still have a 50 inch Plasma HD not even 1K whose picture I prefer to current 4K models. I am sure existing 3D TVs will be around for many years to come. So to each his own.

https://www.lifewire.com/why-3d-tv-died-4126776

Conrad_SSS and nara like this.
  14. Will Krupp

Will Krupp Cinematographer

Will
    I honestly don't think we'll ever see him again. I have a feeling his interest in HTF begins and ends with what signatures he can get from the community to further his aim.

500 signatures on a change.org petition isn't going to spur WB into any kind of specific action anyway and the whole post feels exploitive. It's put my back up.

ahollis, Conrad_SSS, nara and 3 others like this.
  15. David Weicker

David Weicker Producer

David
    Regardless of the OP’s motives (whatever they were), this was a crappy way to respond to a new member

16. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Archivist
    Reviewer

Robert Harris
    The new member’s first post was an attack upon the integrity and professionalism of a major studio that has been a long-time friend and supporter of HTF.

A far cry from “hi, my name is... and I’m a new member.”

His post was answered, without response.

17. JoeDoakes

JoeDoakes Cinematographer

Ray
    Perhaps something was deleted, but I didn"t get the "attack" part of the OP. No one disputes that Warner"s 3D releases are top notch. Although I may have missed something, my understanding has been that Warner"s requirement that all work be done in house has meant a higher cost for their 3D releases than would be the case if some of the work was done by 3D Film Archive. This, in turn, has made releasing 3D titles more difficult. I doubt if they'll change their policy, but the petition may help convince them of the continuing interest in classic 3D titles.

Peter Keller, ThadK, Jimbo64 and 8 others like this.
  18. RolandL

RolandL Producer

Roland Lataille
    That might change if it hasn't happened already.

phillyrobt likes this.
  19. David Norman

David Norman Producer

The problem is 5M signatures on a petition won't make any difference vs a single handwritten letter to the proper person or a Phone Call.

Better -- 500K names, addresses, and standing orders plus a $50M War Chest deposited in a local bank and a Phone Call from Mr Harris will almost certainly get some results, anyone want to start one?

20. Dick

Dick Lead Actor
    Supporter

Rick
    I concur with the sentiments in this post. Like the rest of us, I've no idea who "Reload3D" is or what his overall knowledge is about the workings of bringing a classic 3D movie to the public. Given that his post is courteous, if naïve, I do think that Mr. Harris' response was disingenuous toward someone who has apparently just joined the forum. I signed his petition with no particular expectation that it will influence WAC, but rather as a show of support for getting more 3D titles into the market. The OP was correct that the cost of restoring such titles would be significantly less if WB handed the licenses over the 3D Film Archives. That has been proven time and time again. So, I guess, as a very longtime member here, I wonder why this poster was condescended to by someone who is understood by everyone here to be an expert in his field, when a more supportive and informative reply, such as post #6, might have better been posted in the #2 slot. Hopefully Reload3D has not been scared off.

This is not to admonish Mr. Harris, who has my unlimited gratitude and respect, but rather, it is intended to relate that we might have welcomed the OP in a much less adversarial way, and then educated him about the difficulties and expense of bringing classic 3D to home video.

:)

Peter Keller, ThadK, Jimbo64 and 5 others like this.