What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Paramount, The Truman Show and Star Trek: TMP - Special Longer Version need proper releases (1 Viewer)

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
I wonder what music takes we'll get this time arround if a 4k Director's Edition is happening.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Neil for the link to the Memory Wall images. There’s a shot of Leonard Nimoy as Spock I’d seen years ago from that set. He appears to be screaming with fear, and it’s such a scary looking shot!

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
This page has a ton of Memory Wall photos.

At the very bottom of that page (under "Retrieved Footage") is a .GIF of that film clip I mentioned a couple posts above. That piece mentions that the footage was first discussed on the Trek BBS. Over there, I ran across this text again, which I think might be of interest to all here (though the posts are from about 12 years ago):

Alchemist:
work prints from the Memory Wall sequence wound up at Lincoln Enterprises right before they "closed" in the 1980's. Lincoln intended to cut them into individual frames for inclusion in their ST:TMP frame packets which they sold. Although some of the Memory Wall dailies (B/W) were indeed cut up, some of them (at least 4 minutes that I have direct knowledge of) were not.
(this 'four minutes' is the "Retrieved Footage" discussed at the link above--Andy)

Alchemist:
I don't know about the negatives, but Lincoln Enterprises wound up with work prints. Last year, I telecined 4 minutes of footage that shows Shatner gliding through the trench and being attacked by the memory crystals. I'm hoping it will see the light of day soon.

QuasarVM:
I think it IS in a vault somewhere. I don't think they got tossed because some of the footage made it into the TV version of the film (Kirk exiting the airlock)...and Daren Dochterman claims to have seen it (and, along with Robert Wise, deemed it unuseable) when working on the Director's Cut. You're right: A lot of people think that the test footage on the Director's Cut DVD is all that there is...and, well, some of us know that is not the truth -- but that myth seems to have gotten spread around a bit.

trevanian:
We know that they shot on the trench and memory wall stage for a week or more going by the making of stuff. We also know that there was some bluescreen shooting for it... More significantly, Doug Trumbull has claimed he is the guy who talked Wise into dropping the sequence, DURING POSTPRODUCTION. Trumbull official position on the show started in 79, after the sequence was shot. He says that the whole movie fell apart at this sequence when he saw the rough cut. Cinefex #1 addresses all this.

Allansfirebird

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sean
Nope, not even close. There's about 2 minutes of test footage, but it most certainly is not everything that was filmed.

There was another forum (the forum on the "Forgotten Trek" site, I think, or maybe somewhere on the "Trek History" site) where a fan found a missing Memory Wall clip via one of the Lincoln Enterprises "film clips" packets. There was a very short piece of this shown in low resolution of (I think) one of the dialogue scenes between Kirk and Spock. I think the fan in question had promised to upload the complete clip (or in a bigger size), but it never happened.

Yes, folks. Gene and Majel were given the same access to the film trims for TMP and did the exact same thing they did with the film trims for the TV series...they chopped them up and sold them in 'film clip' packets. The only difference here (I think) is that the stuff they had for TMP might not necessarily have been the only copies of things.

As for whether all the live-action for the Memory Wall scene was completed.... for years, I had assumed everything was shot, but I think in the various reading of articles that came out during (and after) the time of the Director's Edition, I believe that this wasn't necessarily true. Yes, a lot more was shot than we were given on the DVD extras, but I don't think "everything" was shot. I believe there was enough of the sequence not shot that simply doing the VFX still wouldn't have finished everything.

That being said, I really wish that if we ever get a new edition, that Paramount will finally give us all of the filmed sequences as extras. There was an article in Star Trek magazine on the project that said that they found all the Memory Wall stuff in the archive, but it was up to Paramount as to how much they decided to use on the DVD, so someone higher-up in the food chain is probably to blame for the small amount of material that was presented.
I have the camera reports for the Memory Wall sequence from the editor's script in Bob Wise's papers at USC. It confirms that all but 2 shots were filmed, and those 2 were marked to be completed in post, due to the extensive VFX work needed.

Last edited:

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
I have the camera reports for the Memory Wall sequence from the editor's script in Bob Wise's papers at USC. It confirms that all but 2 shots were filmed, and those 2 were marked to be completed in post, due to the extensive VFX work needed.

Wonder if those two were the blue-screen sequences referenced above?

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Aha, I knew it!! No such luck that we were going to see a 4K remaster of Star Trek: The Motion Picture. :(

I keep up the faith that someday, soon, Star Trek: The Motion Picture remastered will be happening. Please!

I don’t have an Atmos set up right now, I feel like if this is an Atmos version of the Star Trek The Motion Picture score only, and it gets an actual release, I’ll likely buy it to own a copy. But I find that I rarely listen to my 5.1 music discs. I’m finding that a well recorded and mixed stereo recording with a great pair of speakers has great depth. And that surprised and sometimes scared me. That I could actually hear that.

Last edited:

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Aha, I knew it!! No such luck that we were going to see a 4K remaster of Star Trek: The Motion Picture. :(

I keep up the faith that someday, soon, Star Trek: The Motion Picture remastered will be happening. Please!

I don’t have an Atmos set up right now, I feel like if this is an Atmos version of the Star Trek The Motion Picture score only, and it gets an actual release, I’ll likely buy it to own a copy. But I find that I rarely listen to my 5.1 music discs. I’m finding that a well recorded and mixed stereo recording with a great pair of speakers has great depth. And that surprised and sometimes scared me. That I could actually hear that.

agreed. Disappointing if there is not a release.

Camper

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David Dennis
Very disappointing. It has now been over one year since they announced that negotiations were in progress. There has been nothing official mentioned and very little even in the way of rumors or hints.

Last edited:

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson

Considering STTMP is with Sony, not UMG (the label that has done the bulk of Atmos music releases), a physical seems highly unlikely anyway.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
I think with this lost year a lot of things are being pushed off to 2021. Or slowed down.

I’m still very hopeful that a directors cut of tmp is coming soon though.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Yes Joel, I’d agree. The quote from Matt Mattesino above does stress that Bruce was using a track or tracks from the TMP score for making a demo for Atmos, I listened to the interview a third time too. And since Bruce Botnick was the mixing engineer working closely with Jerry Goldsmith on The Motion Picture and many if not all Jerry’s scores after this. And they became buddies. So he likely wanted to use something from that library to demo Atmos with.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Yes Joel, I’d agree. The quote from Matt Mattesino above does stress that Bruce was using a track or tracks from the TMP score for making a demo for Atmos, I listened to the interview a third time too. And since Bruce Botnick was the mixing engineer working closely with Jerry Goldsmith on The Motion Picture and many if not all Jerry’s scores after this. And they became buddies. So he likely wanted to use something from that library to demo Atmos with.

hmm. Well maybe something will still come from this too.

Camper

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David Dennis
The first mention of the potential project was July of 2019. Coronavirus didn't kick in until about March of 2020. They were saying in July of 2019 that they hoped social media traffic would convince Paramount to go ahead. So in those eight months between the time they first announced the project was possible and the time covid kicked in it seems pretty likely Paramount would have made their decision to go ahead with it or not. Then when covid-19 kicked in it would have slowed down the project but not derailed it.
If they had decided to go ahead with the project they weren't going to then cancel it because of covid.
Blaming it on covid-19 seem unrealistic because this has been a tremendous year for 4K catalog releases -- the ones that have been announced and the ones that have come out during the covid crisis is extensive.
I'm not buying that the release was shelved because of the pandemic.
They either we're going to do it and it's been slowed down possibly or they had no intention of doing a full restoration of the director's cut.
Personally, Star Trek the motion picture is the one Trek movie that I have absolutely no interest in the theatrical cut. So while I do think it's a possibility that they restore the theatrical cut that holds no interest for me. To me the theatrical cut is an inferior rough cut of the movie. And if I have to watch the mucked Up DVD for the rest of my life so be it.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
The first mention of the potential project was July of 2019. Coronavirus didn't kick in until about March of 2020. They were saying in July of 2019 that they hoped social media traffic would convince Paramount to go ahead. So in those eight months between the time they first announced the project was possible and the time covid kicked in it seems pretty likely Paramount would have made their decision to go ahead with it or not. Then when covid-19 kicked in it would have slowed down the project but not derailed it.
If they had decided to go ahead with the project they weren't going to then cancel it because of covid.
Blaming it on covid-19 seem unrealistic because this has been a tremendous year for 4K catalog releases -- the ones that have been announced and the ones that have come out during the covid crisis is extensive.
I'm not buying that the release was shelved because of the pandemic.
They either we're going to do it and it's been slowed down possibly or they had no intention of doing a full restoration of the director's cut.
Personally, Star Trek the motion picture is the one Trek movie that I have absolutely no interest in the theatrical cut. So while I do think it's a possibility that they restore the theatrical cut that holds no interest for me. To me the theatrical cut is an inferior rough cut of the movie. And if I have to watch the mucked Up DVD for the rest of my life so be it.

agreed. It’s my preferred cut too.

AlexNH

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Alex Koutroubas
Today, we have an update on a story we posted a couple weeks ago: You may recall that Bruce Botnick, the original score mixer for Robert Wise’s Star Trek: The Motion Picture, mentioned in a YouTube interview that he was remixing the score for Dolby Atmos. Well, we’ve now confirmed with Paramount—and Director’s Edition restoration supervisor Mike Matessino has confirmed it as well—that Botnick was talking about a music demo on the format only. Paramount wasn’t even aware of the project until they read about it on The Bits. And multiple sources tell me that the 4K film restoration project on the title is currently at on hold at the studio. The pandemic has made all of the Hollywood studios more risk-adverse in terms of spending money right now, so essentially Paramount has hit the pause button on the project. We’ll keep our eyes open on this and update you as we hear more. Actually, let me rephrase that: We know a good deal more than we can post right now, but suffice it to say that when things begin to move forward again (and we can talk about it), we’ll let you know here.

Source: thedigitalbits.com August 3, 2020

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Today, we have an update on a story we posted a couple weeks ago: You may recall that Bruce Botnick, the original score mixer for Robert Wise’s Star Trek: The Motion Picture, mentioned in a YouTube interview that he was remixing the score for Dolby Atmos. Well, we’ve now confirmed with Paramount—and Director’s Edition restoration supervisor Mike Matessino has confirmed it as well—that Botnick was talking about a music demo on the format only. Paramount wasn’t even aware of the project until they read about it on The Bits. And multiple sources tell me that the 4K film restoration project on the title is currently at on hold at the studio. The pandemic has made all of the Hollywood studios more risk-adverse in terms of spending money right now, so essentially Paramount has hit the pause button on the project. We’ll keep our eyes open on this and update you as we hear more. Actually, let me rephrase that: We know a good deal more than we can post right now, but suffice it to say that when things begin to move forward again (and we can talk about it), we’ll let you know here.

Source: thedigitalbits.com August 3, 2020
1596511119366.png
;) ...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Josh.1983
Recent bookmarks