Paramount, The Truman Show and Star Trek: TMP - Special Longer Version need proper releases

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I think it’s possibly great news. Bill Hunt does say he knows more then he can tell. And it sounds like it could be positive news when he can talk about it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Osato

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Today, we have an update on a story we posted a couple weeks ago: You may recall that Bruce Botnick, the original score mixer for Robert Wise’s Star Trek: The Motion Picture, mentioned in a YouTube interview that he was remixing the score for Dolby Atmos. Well, we’ve now confirmed with Paramount—and Director’s Edition restoration supervisor Mike Matessino has confirmed it as well—that Botnick was talking about a music demo on the format only. Paramount wasn’t even aware of the project until they read about it on The Bits. And multiple sources tell me that the 4K film restoration project on the title is currently at on hold at the studio. The pandemic has made all of the Hollywood studios more risk-adverse in terms of spending money right now, so essentially Paramount has hit the pause button on the project. We’ll keep our eyes open on this and update you as we hear more. Actually, let me rephrase that: We know a good deal more than we can post right now, but suffice it to say that when things begin to move forward again (and we can talk about it), we’ll let you know here.

Source: thedigitalbits.com August 3, 2020
Thanks for posting this. It seems the virus has impacted this release.

Camper

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David Dennis
Film Restorations maybe on hold at Paramount but every other Studio seems to be pumping out catalog titles at increased rate during the pandemic.
Just another excuse for treating the franchise in a lazy and cheap way.
Meanwhile just pre-ordered Back to the Future Trilogy in 4k UHD coming out in October

Reactions: Paul_Warren

Camper

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David Dennis
Also in the interview mr. Botnick says that he just received a large shipment of the original Masters that he was going to be converting to Atmos.
Paramount was unaware that somebody had received the original Master recordings for the music?

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Film Restorations maybe on hold at Paramount but every other Studio seems to be pumping out catalog titles at increased rate during the pandemic.
Meanwhile just pre-ordered Back to the Future Trilogy in 4k UHD coming out in October
Pretty much agreed. Yes, large scale projects are on hold and rightly so right now. I won't argue that. I'm sure TMP is a large-ish project for them. However, COVID should have been a moot point since the 40th anniversary was last year. At the very least TMP should be out in 4k.

And with THAT being said, if they're not working on TMP because of COVID right now, they can for sure be working on at least one of the other nine TOS/TNG movies. Wait...eight, since TWOK is done already and can be released on 4k disc tomorrow. COVID is just the latest excuse. But any news is welcome, honestly, for me. It felt like TMP fell down a hole for a while.

Neil S. Bulk

Screenwriter
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
Also in the interview mr. Botnick says that he just received a large shipment of the original Masters that he was going to be converting to Atmos.
Paramount was unaware that somebody had received the original Master recordings for the music?
From Mike Matessino: "Bruce simply used the data from our soundtrack project in 2012 to create an Atmos Music demo piece for Dolby. That's it."

Neil

Last edited:

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Bill Hunt wrote though: The pandemic has made all of the Hollywood studios more risk-adverse in terms of spending money right now, so essentially Paramount has hit the pause button on the project.

So I interprete that to mean that not only Star Trek The Motion Picture is paused, but restoration projects at the other studios as well. But maybe yes, just Star Trek The Motion Picture and other Paramount projects could be stalled now. Those other film releases like Back to the Future I bet were done many months ago And more prepared for release.

My theory on Star Trek The Wrath of Khan 4K is they are holding it for release in a 4K box set of the six TOS films. Like they did for The Jack Ryan box set. and my guess is Star Trek TMP and Star Trek 2 will be the better looking releases and the rest will be mediocr.

Well, I‘m hoping and wishing for a great restoration and mastering of Star Trek TMP. And Paramount will resume the project and be completed sooner then later.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Hey Neil, I’m not surprised that the 3 disc set is sold out now. I’m glad I have a copy. I kind of wished I had a second copy as a back up. On my copy, there is a audio defect on the Shaun Cassidy / A Star a Beyond Time track. There’s two audio drop outs early in the track. I figured maybe it’s a issue when I ripped it so I’ll check the disc. I wasn’t too worried as it’s not a track I listen to a lot. But it is a disappointment If it’s a defect. It is a very nice extra to have. It shows how much effort was put into the film with high hopes the film would be a big hit.

Last edited:

Camper

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David Dennis
So other companies unrelated to Paramount are randomly revamping the soundtrack over and over and Paramount can't do a proper restoration for a 9 out of 10 of their Star Trek movies.
Oh and Columbia box set restoration and upcoming Lord of the Rings and Hobbit catalog releases & Alfred Hitchcock catalog releases.
For Paramount can only conjure up 3 Tom Cruise titles.
When was the 40th anniversary of Star Trek the motion picture during the pandemic? Oh never mind that was 2019

Allansfirebird

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sean
Undertaking a restoration project is nowhere near the same thing as 4K/HD masters completed before the pandemic being ported onto discs and being manufactured. That's a whopper of a false equivalency.

Camper

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David Dennis
It's been 11 years since their first substandard release of the original cast movies and that should have been plenty enough time to restore the other five movies besides Wrath of Khan. But now they get a pass because of covid-19 in 2020?
They treat the franchise like garbage

JoshZ

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
It's been 11 years since their first substandard release of the original cast movies and that should have been plenty enough time to restore the other five movies besides Wrath of Khan. But now they get a pass because of covid-19 in 2020?
They treat the franchise like garbage
For years, the Star Trek franchise was split between Paramount, which controlled the theatrical features and generally treated them poorly, and CBS, which controlled the multiple TV series and valued the property more. The recent re-merger of Paramount and CBS was intended to rectify that and bring everything back under one roof. With the resurgence of Star Trek on the CBS All Access platform, the company is giving a lot more attention to the franchise now than it has in ages. I imagine that cleaning up and remastering all the theatrical features (for streaming purposes, if nothing else) was probably in the cards as a post-merger task, but that got screwed up by COVID.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
For better or worse, the original movies are perceived as being too valuable for Paramount to license out to a smaller outfit like Shout or Arrow to do a big set on, but haven’t sold well enough in recent years to justify Paramount doing the work themselves.

The 2009 Blu-rays came out in the midst of major economic upheaval that coincided with the rise of a new form of distribution that didn’t require a physical object, and like so many catalog titles from so many studios, it didn’t meet sales expectations. I remember back then a lot of reviews and word on the street was that the set wasn’t great, and lots of people decided not to buy in the hopes that Paramount would get the message that they should make a better one; the message Paramount got instead was that there wasn’t high demand for these films. The 2013 and 2016 theatrical films didn’t meet the studio’s financial expectations. The 2016 box set didn’t sell particularly well. The 2016 disc of TWOK had a production error requiring an expensive recall that in all likelihood took a release that should have been in the black and put it into the red. The 4K digital version of TWOK didn’t light the sales charts on fire. The 4K discs of the reboot movies didn’t sell particularly well.

By any metric that Paramount has available to them, these haven’t sold well enough in mass market environments that the studio needs to succeed in to justify the work.

Camper

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David Dennis
Paramount just restored King Creole from the original camera negative with a 4K transfer.
Is that going to sell more than any of the Trek movies?

Reactions: AlexNH and Osato

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Who knows? Part of me thinks they’re just throwing stuff at the wall to see what sticks. But I’d also guess that scanning a negative that was in mostly good shape that doesn’t have a lot of opticals or effects to massage is an easier task that taking a Star Trek film with its layers of opticals and effects, transferring them and then having to adjust them nearly shot by shot so that all the seams don’t show.

I do hope they do them but I don’t think it’s going to be determined by the physical media market; my hope is that they can do this as part of the universe they’re building on CBS All Access and use that connection to justify the expense, and hopefully, get a disc as a side product of that.

Camper

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David Dennis
Paramount has recently released or is on the verge of releasing 9 titles on their Paramount presents line of blue rays and those are "4K transfers from the best available sources".
At least one of those, To Catch a Thief, has been pretty much an unmitigated disaster and inferior to the previous Blu-ray release. So I agree that they seem to be just throwing stuff on the wall and seeing what sticks in a haphazard manner. But for example if they were to restore Star Trek 3 and Star Trek 4 - two movies that only have ONE version and box those two up with Wrath of Khan as a so-called trilogy it seems logical to me that it would have better sales then most of what they're putting out.
Seriously, a box set of Star Trek 2 through 4 boasting brand new Restorations and throwing in a few new extras such as possibly deleted scenes would far out sell any of the titles did they have recently restored.
I take that as a given but maybe I'm completely off base.
Have there been fans of ghost and Flashdance clamoring for and demanding a new restoration of those two movies so that they can repurchase it? It seems like that's what Star Trek fans have been doing for 10 years now

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Maybe we need to get everyone to rebuy a copy of the Motion picture directors edition dvd from amazon.

then paramount would wake up.

seriously though I think all of the Trek films are coming in 4k eventually. Great reasons mentioned here. The merger, new digital platform and maybe the presents line of blu rays.

I bought the trek films set digitally earlier this year. I had the films on blu ray from 2009 too.

Reactions: Tommy R and Camper

Tommy R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tommy
I may just do that as I wanted to see the DC again. I owned the DVD back in the day via one of those box sets, but I sold it off when I bought the blu ray set.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
I may just do that as I wanted to see the DC again. I owned the DVD back in the day via one of those box sets, but I sold it off when I bought the blu ray set.
I just watched it again yesterday. I kept the dvd even when I bought the blu ray set. I prefer the directors cut of the film. It’s more polished and complete.

hopefully we hear more news soon.

Reactions: B-ROLL and Camper

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
els