What's new

Paramount, The Truman Show and Star Trek: TMP - Special Longer Version need proper releases (1 Viewer)

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
Have there been fans of ghost and Flashdance clamoring for and demanding a new restoration of those two movies so that they can repurchase it? It seems like that's what Star Trek fans have been doing for 10 years now

The truth is that Trekkies clamor for a lot of things they want, but when the times comes to put some money down and pay for it, that's when they suddenly vanish into the ether.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Director's Edition is actually long OOP so I'm fairly confident that Paramount stands to make little to no gain as far as physical goes.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I don’t plan to ever sell my copy of Star Trek The Motion Picture DE. It’s autographed by Robert Wise at an event at Tower Records in Los Angeles at the time of the release of this DVD.

CEA610DA-DF8B-45FD-A005-DEE8874E7363.jpeg

AlexNH

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Alex Koutroubas
For years, the Star Trek franchise was split between Paramount, which controlled the theatrical features and generally treated them poorly, and CBS, which controlled the multiple TV series and valued the property more. The recent re-merger of Paramount and CBS was intended to rectify that and bring everything back under one roof. With the resurgence of Star Trek on the CBS All Access platform, the company is giving a lot more attention to the franchise now than it has in ages. I imagine that cleaning up and remastering all the theatrical features (for streaming purposes, if nothing else) was probably in the cards as a post-merger task, but that got screwed up by COVID.

I totally agree. Paramount has neglected Star Trek since 1968 (third season of the TOS).

Camper

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David Dennis
I watch all or part of the director's cut on a regular basis and I always have to shake my head how poor the print they used was.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
On this day in Star Trek history:

I just saw on Trekmovie that August 7th 1978 was the first day of filming of Star Trek The Motion Picture. They filmed Kirk’s first time stepping onto the bridge.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
I watch all or part of the director's cut on a regular basis and I always have to shake my head how poor the print they used was.

May the time I believe Robert Wise ask them to remaster the print as well. But it’s paramount Jake......

DVBRD

Second Unit
Real Name
Andy

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the link Osato. That’s exciting. Interesting to read Bill Hunt’s assessment of Paramount’s stance and what they are thinking. Let’s hope it’s soon that we will get Star Trek The Motion Picture remastered in all its variant.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Thanks for the link Osato. That’s exciting. Interesting to read Bill Hunt’s assessment of Paramount’s stance and what they are thinking. Let’s hope it’s soon that we will get Star Trek The Motion Picture remastered in all its variant.

For sure. I’m sure they will include all the cuts of the film. I’m glad they will honor Robert Wise’s wishes as well. Something they didn’t do for Blu ray.

Its interesting that the original audio for many of the films is not available anymore. Motion picture on blu ray is 7.1 as are the others.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks