Paramount, The Truman Show and Star Trek: TMP - Special Longer Version need proper releases

andySu

Effects Supervisor
4k scans and release it as multi discs one with 4k (original theatrical mixes no near field remixin) and a second disc alternate with upmix Dolby Atmos mixed on a proper large stage, No near field mixing. Just do it fully uncompressed audio, let the dynamics breath my home THX cinema can handle that.

Also no more colour botches like that waste of bluray from few years ago. No aspect ratio botching as well.

Included isolated scores in 5.1 for each disc release.

Extras well pass on that there's enough of that on youtube already. Just the above and it = Buy first day. :)

Osato

Producer
Senior HTF Member
4k scans and release it as multi discs one with 4k (original theatrical mixes no near field remixin) and a second disc alternate with upmix Dolby Atmos mixed on a proper large stage, No near field mixing. Just do it fully uncompressed audio, let the dynamics breath my home THX cinema can handle that.

Also no more colour botches like that waste of bluray from few years ago. No aspect ratio botching as well.

Included isolated scores in 5.1 for each disc release.

Extras well pass on that there's enough of that on youtube already. Just the above and it = Buy first day. :)
bill hunt started recently that things are moving slowly. No confirmation on a release yet though:

from the bits:

A lot of you are likely wondering about the classic Star Trek films on 4K, including the long-awaited (and occasionally teased) Star Trek: The Motion Picture – Director’s Edition. What I can tell you is that this is a big project but things are moving in a positive direction, if very slowly. So don’t give up; this one is going to require some patience. But do take every opportunity you have via social media to let the studio know that you really want #sttmp40 on physical 4K Ultra HD. Positive mojo can only help.

https://thedigitalbits.com/columns/my-two-cents/012820-1230

andySu

Effects Supervisor
I can wait. Its not like we don't have them at all. But all new pristine pressings will be nice and hopefully won't need releasing again for 20 years? So I guess a 4k will turn up within few years or less. Its a big Paramount high contender for the fans.

Osato

Producer
Senior HTF Member
I can wait. Its not like we don't have them at all. But all new pristine pressings will be nice and hopefully won't need releasing again for 20 years? So I guess a 4k will turn up within few years or less. Its a big Paramount high contender for the fans.
The way paramount is going it may be a digital only 4k release.

MatthewA

Lead Actor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Even if they went back and did the required work, it would likely still cost less than what it took to upgrade Star Trek: The Next Generation to HD.

Reactions: Osato

Lord Dalek

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
99.99999% of the world's population doesn't know or care what "near-field" is.

Lord Dalek

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Even if they went back and did the required work, it would likely still cost less than what it took to upgrade Star Trek: The Next Generation to HD.
I wouldn't say that. When Foundation Imaging went belly up, allegedly all their raw effects were junked.

Nelson Au

Film Editor
Senior HTF Member
David Fein, one of the people responsible for the Directors Edition has publicly stated all the assets are on hand. Nothing was junked. He posted this information on a thread I started on the Hoffman forums. They just need to get the business details sorted out to move ahead.

If this doesn’t get done soon, all the fans who want this won’t be around much longer. Which could be their intent. I intend to be around to see this!

Reactions: Osato

Osato

Producer
Senior HTF Member
David Fein, one of the people responsible for the Directors Edition has publicly stated all the assets are on hand. Nothing was junked. He posted this information on a thread I started on the Hoffman forums. They just need to get the business details sorted out to move ahead.

If this doesn’t get done soon, all the fans who want this won’t be around much longer. Which could be their intent. I intend to be around to see this!
hopefully that happens soon. I’m guessing the project would still take many months to complete.
Maybe in December we will have a release in hand.

Josh Steinberg

Film Editor
Reviewer
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
It honestly may be cheaper to start from scratch than to try to re-render standard definition designs from 20 years ago that a) didn’t match the film 20 years ago and b) surely would not hold up in 4K.

Reactions: Worth

Colin Jacobson

Lead Actor
Senior HTF Member
Time between the theatrical run of "TMP" and the DC DVD: 22 years.

Time since the DC DVD: 19 years.

Does this realization terrify anyone else? Seems like the DC DVD just came out!

Reactions: TravisR and Osato

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Premium
Real Name
Tony D.

Got a link?

jcroy

Producer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Time between the theatrical run of "TMP" and the DC DVD: 22 years.

Time since the DC DVD: 19 years.

Does this realization terrify anyone else? Seems like the DC DVD just came out!
(On a tangent).

Was the original theatrical cut of ST:TMP ever released on dvd ?

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnmjoews