What's new

Paramount is now officially on board! (1 Viewer)

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
If you count the numbers of films, waiting in vaults of studios to be delivered to HR disc one day, most - by far - are "destined" for HD DVD at the moment.

That's because not all studios "weigh" the same in this respect. Some own significantly more films than others. Warner and Paramount are heavy weights, of course.

Cees

Paul Anthony

Stunt Coordinator
Very impressive list from Paramount on debuting their films on HD-DVD (finally!), I plan on purchasing ALL of them!

Good times! :emoji_thumbsup:

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.

buy buy buy!!

nice list of titles.

btw whats an "FS"

DanR

Supporting Actor
I'm curious as to why Paramount announcing titles for HD-DVD means BD is falling further behind? Paramount has stated they'd release the same titles on both formats. I think it's clear at this point that Paramount is going to be using VC-1 on their titles on both formats. As such, it may be a few months or so for some issues to get worked out, but I would expect the same titles to be released in VC-1 on BD.

Now, all of this being said, in a thread on another board, it was noted that Paramount Home Video is "under new management" and that was part of the delay in getting these HD DVD titles to market. So, a more important question would be whether "new management" is also reviewing the prior regimes commitment to BD.

Personally, I'm pretty excited about this Paramount announcement. There's some good titles in there, and I hope more good ones come before years end!!

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Because HDDVD has more titles right now. It's not contradictory to say "BD is falling farther behind" and "but BD is expected to catch up".

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
Okay, I'm gonna reveal my nerd streak but the scene in ST:TMP where Kirk sees the re-fitted Enterprise for the first time with Scotty in the shuttle... In HD?!?!?!
Woah... I remember that scene opening day, Dec. 7th, 1979 at the long gone Loew's Orpheum theatre in manhattan. There were a bunch of trekker kids in the audience who almost had tears in their eyes. It might be considered a bit indulgent and long now but when my friends and I first saw that scene after growing up on TREK on maybe a 25" TV set and then suddenly seeing the Enterprise that way was amazing. That scene was jaw dropping and to this day, the best we could see it at was the decent if soft looking sd dvd... To see it again in the detail that it had in the theatre, (or as close as HDdvd could get it..) wow...
Even to this day some of the greatest visual effects ever filmed.
and
I KNOW that this flick is not everyone's cup of tea and people usually are very divided on it but I would LOVE to see Vanilla Sky. One of my faves...
The end rooftop scene alone with the sky visuals and the Sigur Ros tune.....
but what do I know....?

:) d

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Nerd alert! Nerd alert!

Yeah, ok, I'm right there with ya Dave. ST:TMP is my favorite of all the ST films. This on HD-DVD would be one granddaddy of a treat.

Harminder

Second Unit
Real Name
Harminder
Since I was raised on ST:TNG, I am DYING for ST:First Contact. Federation vs. Borg battle sequence in HD and DD+... definitely where no man has gone before. LOL :D

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
oh yeah!

and of course.... "KHAAAAAAAAAAAN!!!!!!!!"
One good thing about paramount is they LOVE to milk the TREK cow.
Usually it's annoying buying the SAME trek over and over again but the jump to HDdvd would be worth it. Lessee, I bought STII on Beta, VHS, WS VHS, DVD, SE DVD...

;)

Mike_G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
psst...star trek? thanks. :D

BTW, Dave, it was 1979 :D. I was across the river in Jersey watching it that same day.

Kelly Grannell

Second Unit

"expectation"
"potential"
"wait until (fill in the blank here)"

seem to be the keywords in describing BD.

At this rate and the price of players, BD has a LOT of catching up to do... and FAST.

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member

You may have to wait awhile for ST:TMP. Indications are that the first Star Trek HD-DVD title will be Star Trek: First Contact. It hasn't been officially announced yet, but it should be available in November.

Coincidentally, Star Trek: First Contact was also the first Star Trek title released to the DVD format!

Mike_G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
I'd be MORE than happy with FC on HD first. So long as TMP and II follow closely behind, count me in.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
That doesn't mean it can't happen in the next six months or so. Events and status can change very quickly with good marketing combined with some very positive reviews about additional hardware and software. Anyhow, let's get back to the subject at hand, Paramount finally releasing some HD product.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
I'm ok with that. I plan to replace my entire ST collection if (or when) Paramount releases them on HD-DVD.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks