What's new

Press Release PHE Press Release: Star Trek: The Motion Picture Restored Director's Edition and Six-Movie Collection (4k UHD) (1 Viewer)

Mark McSherry

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark McSherry
Very, very nice! I had to take the lazy and untalented route. Downloaded this from the Uncovered website. You only need to register.

ST TMP Uncovered.png

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Hey Mark, thanks a lot! And thanks for the link to that cover art you posted. That’s really nice. Its a good looking layout! Gives me some ideas. :)

Mark McSherry

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark McSherry
Nelson, you prompted me to try my hand at this sort of thing too. $20 for RonyaSoft's CD DVD Label Maker plus scans off my Zavvi box set led to this. Try not to look too hard for the seams.

ST TMP Complete Adventure AAA BBB C D Ver 2 10-20.jpg

Attachments

• ST TMP Complete Adventure AAA BBB C D 10-20.jpg
    ST TMP Complete Adventure AAA BBB C D 10-20.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 61

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
That’s cool Mark! You used the same art from the big box. I used the poster art. Your effort keeps all the specs and credits intact. I’m not aware of that software. Looks like it makes it more convenient.

Did you get a case for all the discs?

Mark McSherry

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark McSherry
That’s cool Mark! You used the same art from the big box. I used the poster art. Your effort keeps all the specs and credits intact. I’m not aware of that software. Looks like it makes it more convenient.

Did you get a case for all the discs?

I have the boxset from Zavvi so I have five discs that I put in a UHD 6-disc replacement case. I had used the cover art in message #461 but switched that out for the "ST TMP The Complete Adventure Box" cover art.

The RonyaSoft's CD DVD Label Maker can be downloaded for a free 7-day trial. I purchased it the very first day. It has a US Blu-Ray template among others and allows you to easily edit and insert images from scans and captured screenshots. It does the job when you want to switch out discs in sleeves to replacement cases. I've already created replacement cover art for the two Universal Classic Monsters box sets. It's just that easy. A couple of my not-quite-perfect examples:

Dracula with 4kLogo B.jpg

bluray uni monsters 2 with Blu Logo.jpg

Last edited:

Mark McSherry

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark McSherry
Can you share some details around the type of printer and paper you use for making these covers? Thx
Just a regular inkjet printer, in my case an HP Envy Photo 7155 now. My earlier and cheaper HP Deskjet 340 did a fine job too printing the cover art I downloaded.

For paper, I use glossy Photo Paper. Nothing too expensive. Right now, I'm using Pen+GEAR's 8.5"x 11" Glossy Photo Paper (from Walmart) that comes in a 50-sheet package for $11. RonyaSoft's CD DVD Label Maker 'US Blu-ray Template' prints out the cover art with dimensions of 268.70 x 148.40 mm (3174 x 1753 pixels) at 300 Dots Per Inch in Landscape mode.

Wolf Man.png

A one or two disc replacement case has a spine width of 12mm. A case that holds more usually has the spine at 15mm. So you will want to nudge the spline image a bit wider than the template width. When the cover art is mounted in the replacement case, slight errors in object width and placement are hardly noticeable.

This may just be due my setup, but my Windows HP printer software will say that my print object is a bit wider than the 8.5x11 page width. I just tell the software to use a custom dimension of 8.5x11.5 and the print-out will contain the full image in the 8.5x11 page. If I don't do this, part of the cover art is cut-off. I also check the box for "Center layout on the page" to get this print-out result---

scan0062.jpg

I also use a cutting board to trim the printed cover art. The result makes a nice fit in a UHD/Bluray replacement case.

Attachments

• scan0062.jpg
    scan0062.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 36
Last edited:

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Mark, I’m curious where you got your replacement case from. I’m not happy with the one I got and I want to get another one with room for 6 discs.

That’s cool that software you use makes it so easy to do the cover. Nice job on those Universal Monsters covers.

Given that in my design work, I use Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop as two of the many tools I need to do the job. And given my personality to do everything myself, I created the template and assets myself. It was way more work as I’m not one who usually creates custom cover art for DVDs and blu rays. It’s part of the fun for me.

For the question about what printer, I bought a new printer for this project! Crazy I know, but my old printer died a few years ago and I’ve been wanting to replace it. I had an Epson inkjet photo printer and I replaced it with a new Epson photo printer. I also used Epson paper I had bought when I had the old Epson printer, I used the Premium Presentation paper in matte finish.

As time permits, I will probably revisit this cover art.

Mark McSherry

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark McSherry
Mark, I’m curious where you got your replacement case from. I’m not happy with the one I got and I want to get another one with room for 6 discs.

That’s cool that software you use makes it so easy to do the cover. Nice job on those Universal Monsters covers.

Given that in my design work, I use Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop as two of the many tools I need to do the job. And given my personality to do everything myself, I created the template and assets myself. It was way more work as I’m not one who usually creates custom cover art for DVDs and blu rays. It’s part of the fun for me.

For the question about what printer, I bought a new printer for this project! Crazy I know, but my old printer died a few years ago and I’ve been wanting to replace it. I had an Epson inkjet photo printer and I replaced it with a new Epson photo printer. I also used Epson paper I had bought when I had the old Epson printer, I used the Premium Presentation paper in matte finish.

As time permits, I will probably revisit this cover art.

Thanks Nelson. I just screen-grabbed images off the Zavvi website. They are very good at posting front and back images of their products. And I nabbed the spline images off their Universal Monsters steelbook pictures.

I've used MegaDiscStore on Ebay. I purchased my UHD 6-disc replacement case from them for $10 and free shipping. Shipped in a box and I could not find any fault with their product.

uhd 6-case.png

I have an order with them that's arriving tomorrow.

megamediastore.png

I envy your ability to use Adobe's software. But the price was too steep and the time commitment too great for my occassional disc cover art one-offs. I hope you will post anything you do create.

Robert Saccone

Premium

Just a regular inkjet printer, in my case an HP Envy Photo 7155 now. My earlier and cheaper HP Deskjet 340 did a fine job too printing the cover art I downloaded.

For paper, I use glossy Photo Paper. Nothing too expensive. Right now, I'm using Pen+GEAR's 8.5"x 11" Glossy Photo Paper (from Walmart) that comes in a 50-sheet package for $11. RonyaSoft's CD DVD Label Maker 'US Blu-ray Template' prints out the cover art with dimensions of 268.70 x 148.40 mm (3174 x 1753 pixels) at 300 Dots Per Inch in Landscape mode.

View attachment 159204

A one or two disc replacement case has a spine width of 12mm. A case that holds more usually has the spine at 15mm. So you will want to nudge the spline image a bit wider than the template width. When the cover art is mounted in the replacement case, slight errors in object width and placement are hardly noticeable.

This may just be due my setup, but my Windows HP printer software will say that my print object is a bit wider than the 8.5x11 page width. I just tell the software to use a custom dimension of 8.5x11.5 and the print-out will contain the full image in the 8.5x11 page. If I don't do this, part of the cover art is cut-off. I also check the box for "Center layout on the page" to get this print-out result---

View attachment 159208

I also use a cutting board to trim the printed cover art. The result makes a nice fit in a UHD/Bluray replacement case.
Thanks for all the details. This will get me going!

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Hey Mark, thanks for the info on where you got the Blu Ray cases. I’ll check them out.

Regarding Adobe software, I learned it on the job over the years. I have a friend who helped me get Adobe Creative Suite 6 via a student rate that I use at home. At work I use the cloud version so it’s up to date. I hate that Adobe does it’s subscription plans. So I’ve not upgraded my personal copy. I wished they do a single pay plan. So I agree it’s price is steep!

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
It was TWOK for me last night. Besides the fact that every time I see it, it reconfirms that it’s my favorite of the films, I was struck by a couple of things. First, I’m not someone who says “Shatner can’t act,” I’ve never been in that camp. But this movie is undoubtedly his finest performance in his long career. The whole movie rests on his shoulders and it’s his performance that elevates the film to be the one we all revere. There is no scene in the movie in which he is not captivating. It’s the performance of his lifetime.
I guess it’s been too long since I’ve seen the director’s cut, because those added scenes jumped out at me (a consequence of that version not being available for a while). I like them. Having Scotty’s nephew on board adds something, and gives him more to do. (He’s otherwise not given much to do.)
I thought the 4k looked good, although I thought the colors were a bit drab when TMP-DC was so vibrant.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
It was TWOK for me last night. Besides the fact that every time I see it, it reconfirms that it’s my favorite of the films, I was struck by a couple of things. First, I’m not someone who says “Shatner can’t act,” I’ve never been in that camp. But this movie is undoubtedly his finest performance in his long career. The whole movie rests on his shoulders and it’s his performance that elevates the film to be the one we all revere. There is no scene in the movie in which he is not captivating. It’s the performance of his lifetime.
Agreed. I'm not a Trek encyclopedia but it seems like by the third season of the TV series, Shatner was mostly in "Shatner mode" in terms of playing Kirk but he dropped it in TWOK and he's fantastic in the movie. I'd imagine that I'm not the only one who is moved by him in the funeral scene.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Regarding Star Trek II, I think many of you have seen or heard Nicholas Meyer’s interviews and audio commentary on this film. He is probably the reason Shatner is so good in the movie.

I continue to resist watching this film and the films that follow. I don’t know why. I’m sure I will enjoy Star Trek II as much as I did when I first saw it and re-watched it so many times on VHS, Laser Disc, DVD and Blu Ray. I might have surpassed the number of times watching Star Trek II by the number of times I’ve watched Star Trek The Motion Picture.

Perhaps in general, I’m just down on the direction that Star Trek has taken as it made its way to the theatrical realm. The first film in general did it right, but it’s not the popular direction. But don’t misunderstand, I loved the first 6 films.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I watched TSFS this weekend, and I thought it looked better in 4k than I remember seeing it, but it was always kind of a soft-looking film, so there weren't that many moments that jumped out at me. There were one or two scenes of the starships, where I thought "Those look tremendous." The opening scenes with the Klingons, in particular, look great in 4k.

I have always liked TSFS. It gets unfairly compared with TWOK, which most people agree is the best film in the series, but this is a very good follow-up. For one thing, it's the most fan-friendly film in the series. More than any other film, it has callbacks to the original series and what we'd call today "easter eggs." They are literally throughout the movie.

It's a tough film though. Coming off the seriousness and the somber ending of TWOK, it's hard to find the swashbuckling aspect of the series, and this movie makes the situation even more dire for the crew, with the death of David, the destruction of the Enterprise - the actual ship that we followed through TOS, despite the refits - and the end of the Genesis planet. It is nice to see Kirk beat the hell out of a guy again -- pretty much the only time we see that in TOS films.

It's a fairly simple film, and that helps it's narrative, which is easy to follow. But you really need to have seen the prior film to get the full effect. In that sense, it's unsatisfying as a stand-alone movie. Still, it has plenty of great action, terrific character moments with the crew, and wonderful returns of Sarek and Spock. It's better than most of what followed it, including 3/4 of the TNG movies.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
$82.70 from Walmart through 3rd Party Deep Discount. Free shipping. Sold and shipped by DeepDiscount | DirectToU, LLC

Or ordering directly from Deep Discount price is $91.42 less 10% discount (Code PENNY) =$82.28. There is no extra charge for heavy item.

Last edited:

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I checked out Star Trek V in 4k last night, and in addition to the movie being the weakest of the original series of films, this one has the least exciting 4k transfer yet. Maybe that's a product of 80s film making, or maybe it's something else; I don't know, but IMO the 4k isn't a great improvement over the blu-ray.

The biggest problem I have with Star Trek V is the humor -- it's far too obvious. You can see each joke - be it physical or verbal - coming long before it happens. That's lazy writing.

Also lazy is the depictions of the characters -- Klingons are musclebound aggressors, the diplomats are either drunk, smoking cigarettes (in the 23rd Century!) or being handsy with one another (David Warner and the Romulan look like they are having an affair). Meanwhile, little attention is paid to our crew, who fall into the roles they had in the original series: Uhura answering calls, Sulu flying the ship, Scotty fixing the ship and Chekov navigating.

Only Kirk, Spock and McCoy have anything interesting to do, and they, along with Sybok, form the characters we follow on what must prove to be an unsatisfying mission, since "finding God" is not something that will be done to anyone's satisfaction in a movie.

The visual effects are also a disappointment after the use of ILM for the last several films. By the movie's climax, it's clear they're just not up to the task. I can understand, for example, after portraying a virtual Garden of Eden in Star Trek II (and III) that they didn't want to repeat themselves on the planet at the end of this film, but that means the fabled Eden planet is... a desert? Unsatisfying.

None of which is to say that the movie doesn't have its moments: The camping scenes give us a window into the characters we'd followed at that point for more than 20 years, and those moments remain some of the most humanizing time we've spent with these people. The "planet of galactic peace" is a neat idea, but one which we should have seen succeed a little bit before it crumbles. Sybok's Vulcan zealot is a very good antagonist and the movie actually leaves you wishing we could learn more about him and his motivations (and maybe we will when he shows up again in Strange New Worlds).

Star Trek V is by no means the worst Trek movie, and it's not even a bad little film (a bad script, perhaps), but it's the weakest of the original six films by a country mile. It doesn't help that you can see Shatner's ego all over the place, from the over-emphasis on Kirk, to his use of horses (a passion of Shatner), to credits for writing and directing, and so on. There's been some talk about trying to get Paramount to put up enough money to let Shatner finish the film (the way Robert Wise did with The Motion Picture) but it wouldn't help. Unless you start with rewriting the script, it's not going to save it. Let's just enjoy the moments in it that we can.

Last edited:

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
I checked out Star Trek V in 4k last night, and in addition to the movie being the weakest of the original series of films, this one has the least exciting 4k transfer yet. Maybe that's a product of 80s film making, or maybe it's something else; I don't know, but IMO the 4k isn't a great improvement over the blu-ray.

The biggest problem I have with Star Trek V is the humor -- it's far too obvious. You can see each joke - be it physical or verbal - coming long before it happens. That's lazy writing.

Also lazy is the depictions of the characters -- Klingons are musclebound aggressors, the diplomats are either drunk, smoking cigarettes (in the 23rd Century!) or being handsy with one another (David Warner and the Romulan look like they are having an affair). Meanwhile, little attention is paid to our crew, who fall into the roles they had in the original series: Uhura answering calls, Sulu flying the ship, Scotty fixing the ship and Chekov navigating.

Only Kirk, Spock and McCoy have anything interesting to do, and they, along with Sybok, form the characters we follow on what must prove to be an unsatisfying mission, since "finding God" is not something that will be done to anyone's satisfaction in a movie.

The visual effects are also a disappointment after the use of ILM for the last several films. By the movie's climax, it's clear they're just not up to the task. I can understand, for example, after portraying a virtual Garden of Eden in Star Trek II (and III) that they didn't want to repeat themselves on the planet at the end of this film, but that means the fabled Eden planet is... a desert? Unsatisfying.

None of which is to say that the movie doesn't have its moments: The camping scenes give us a window into the characters we'd followed at that point for more than 20 years, and those moments remain some of the most humanizing time we've spent with these people. The "planet of galactic peace" is a neat idea, but one which we should have seen succeed a little bit before it crumbles. Sybok's Vulcan zealot is a very good antagonist and the movie actually leaves you wishing we could learn more about him and his motivations (and maybe we will when he shows up again in Strange New Worlds).

Star Trek V is by no means the worst Trek movie, and it's not even a bad little film (a bad script, perhaps), but it's the weakest of the original six films by a country mile. It doesn't help that you can see Shatner's ego all over the place, from the over-emphasis on Kirk, to his use of horses (a passion of Shatner), to credits for writing and directing, and so on. There's been some talk about trying to get Paramount to put up enough money to let Shatner finish the film (the way Robert Wise did with The Motion Picture) but it wouldn't help. Unless you start with rewriting the script, it's not going to save it. Let's just enjoy the moments in it that we can.
Love the star trek 5 soundtrack. It has some good moments. It’s the closest we got to the tv show for sure. Not one I watch often.

I’m still waiting to watch many of these. Just time and waiting for my 2 older boys to watch them with me. Search for Spock is out next Star Trek film to watch. We are on season 2 of TOS as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation562
Recent bookmarks