What's new

Paramount is now officially on board! (1 Viewer)

Travis Hedger

Supporting Actor
http://www.dvdreview.com/news/

FINALLY, he had all known of Paramounts plans, but never had firm release information for anything, and with the initial delays of HD DVD, it seemed pretty shaky. It is great to get a 3rd studio, hopefully others are soon to follow.

Mark Hamilton

Stunt Coordinator
You know, I still remember logging into the Steve Tannehill's DVD Resource Page back in the fall of 1998 and seeing that Paramount (and later Fox) were joining the DVD party (at last).

Glad they didn't wait so long this time.

Harminder

Second Unit
Real Name
Harminder
YES! Welcome Paramount, you won't be sorry by going HD-DVD.

We Were Soldiers and The Italian Job will be my first buys. We Were Soldiers in Dolby Digital Plus... I can only imagine what that will sound like.

EDIT:

HOWEVER, Looks like they will be the only HD-DVD supported studio without extras. Not a smart move.

Travis Hedger

Supporting Actor
Yeah, I also remember those tense days of early DVD, and among the first Paramount releases was First Contact.

I think it is inevitable for other studios to not go to HD DVD. Why would they want to cut off segment of market revenue?

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Finally! Especially looking forward to Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow. It will be interesting to see how this translates to HD given the visual style of the film.

- Walter.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
I still have the DVD keep case that contained the Paramount DVD announcement press release. I wonder if they have done the same for HD DVD, using the new funky little red cases?

I can see about half of these releases ending up in my collection, and at least a couple going onto my Netflix queue. I suspect Sky Captain and Sleepy Hollow will be supreme eye candy.

- Steve

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Forgot to mention, bet Ron-P is psyched for Sleepy Hollow on HD DVD. :)

Yeah Steve, I bet both of those titles are going to look great.

- Walter.

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
SO freakin cool!

Tomb Raider, Sky Captain, Sleepy Hollow, For Bros, Man. Candiate and Italian Job are all mine!!

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Welcome Paramount, this is Great!

lol Walter, you got that right.

The Italian Job, can't wait to see those MINIs in HD.

Harminder

Second Unit
Real Name
Harminder
From our friends at The Digital Bits:

From the studio's official statement: "Paramount Home Entertainment plans to support the HD DVD format with a strong slate of titles throughout the year and beyond."

Each of these titles will carry an SRP of $29.95, will feature video on 1080p and audio options to include Dolby Digital Plus 5.1 and DTS 5.1.

Awesome. But like I said before, it would have been nice if these HD-DVD's weren't going to be barebones with no extras. But DD+ and DTS whoo!

Peter Overduin

Supporting Actor
well...with this slate of kick ass titles, I feel my resolve to wait for the next gen players weakening. However, my resolve to stay away from BD grows. Clearly, BD falls further and further behind here....as an aside, the FS in my city of 60,000 has yet to sell a single BD disk or player, after one month of a very prominent display and print ads.

Damn...i hate this dilemna...I know if i nuy the current toshiba, I am buying a player that is already obsolete and cannot deliver either the HD audio or 1080p....what's an early adopter with a big ass home theater room full fo toys to do!!!

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Buy one and don't look back, just sit back and enjoy the glorious image. Besides do you think the difference between 1080i and 1080p is going to be anything buy minimal, at best?

PeterTHX

Senior HTF Member
They are also supposed to release the same stuff for Blu-ray (like "Sahara", "Aeon Flux" and others). Probably the reason for the delay and lack of extras maybe that they are making the same disc twice, one in each format. VC-1, DD+ & DTS...all easily ported...and fits on a single BD25 with VC-1 (or an HD DVD 30).

Travis Hedger

Supporting Actor

This is why we are surpised. They pulled it, that was it, and created worry that support for HD DVD may be wavering. Official confirmation is just stirring things back up.

Kelly Grannell

Second Unit
sheesh! ALL the titles I want to buy. Now all I need to do is wait for non-Toshiba HD DVD player to emerge (not Samsung either)

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member

It's not so much that I am surprised; anyone who has followed HD DVD was aware of the orignal Paramount launch titles. It is news that other HD DVD titles have street dates and some of us are happy to see other titles. For me, particularly Sky Captain.

- Walter.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OttoIsHere
Recent bookmarks