What's new

Paramount Announces Indiana Jones Blu-ray Collection Fall 2012 (1 Viewer)

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Originally Posted by TravisR /t/318936/paramount-announces-indiana-jones-blu-ray-collection-fall-2012/90#post_3907054
Once again, no one has said that. I said that I don't see much difference in quality between the second and fourth movies. Yes, there is a massive difference in quality between the first and fourth ones but there's also a massive difference in quality between the first and second & third ones too.
I think you're taking people's criticisms of Skull a little too personally.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
cafink said:
Dave said it post 31, and Matt more or less agrees in post 33.
I stand corrected and offer my apologies to Dave H.
dpippel said:
I think you're taking people's criticisms of Skull a little too personally. ;)
It's different strokes for different folks but what I do hate is seeing a double standard. And I see one frequently applied in the case of the Indy movies. Alot of people are willing to pick Crystal Skull apart but at the same time, they won't acknowledge or they slough off the problems in Temple Of Doom. It's fine if someone wants to look at Crystal Skull with a strong critical eye (it's certainly not above criticism) but if someone does that on one movie, that razor sharp criticism should always be used especially when it's a movie in the same series. Of course, that's not true of everyone but it's certainly true in some people's cases.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Originally Posted by TravisR /t/318936/paramount-announces-indiana-jones-blu-ray-collection-fall-2012/90#post_3907067
I stand corrected and offer my apologies to Dave H.
It's different strokes for different folks but what I do hate is seeing a double standard. And I see one frequently applied in the case of the Indy movies. Alot of people are willing to pick Crystal Skull apart but at the same time, they won't acknowledge or they slough off the problems in Temple Of Doom. It's fine if someone wants to look at Crystal Skull with a strong critical eye (it's certainly not above criticism) but if someone does that on one movie, that razor sharp criticism should always be used especially when it's a movie in the same series. Of course, that's not true of everyone but it's certainly true in some people's cases.
Indeed, different strokes for different folks. Appreciation of film is subjective, everyone has an opinion, and it may differ from yours. In this case you seem to take it personally when people aren't leveling what you feel is the same level of criticism at Temple of Doom as they are at KotCS. Both movies have their problems. Some people have more of an issue with the problems in Skull than in Doom, and that's fine. Their opinions are no less valid than yours just because they don't agree with you. Tone in a film is just as important as plot, script, direction, and performance, but it's not easy to define. One of my main issues with Skull IS the tone, and because the tone of the movie is "off" for me its other shortcomings become much more prominent and I'm less willing to forgive them. Temple of Doom, despite its dark leanings, "feels" like an Indy film to me. Skull does not. That's my subjective opinion, and I'm entitled to it.

All I know is that I'm really looking forward to having Indiana Jones on Blu-ray, and I hope that Paramount does this set RIGHT.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
I didn't have many problems with CS, apart from the whole "nuke the fridge" scene, which I viewed as cinematic hyperbole; nobody goes to an Indy movie expecting realism. As for people harping on Temple of Doom, it was truer to the Saturday morning serial format than Raiders was, because it was so spectacularly over the top. Raiders will always be my favourite of the four, but it's the law of diminishing returns when dealing with a franchise that was never intended to have sequels in the first place (see The Alien Anthology among others, for examples).

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
TravisR said:
Once again, no one has said that. I said that I don't see much difference in quality between the second and fourth movies. Yes, there is a massive difference in quality between the first and fourth ones but there's also a massive difference in quality between the first and second & third ones too.
Temple Of Doom will always be a bad(for an Indiana Jones film) movie to me. I liked the opening sequence, I hated the leading lady in the film and I didn't care for much else.
I will rate it at about the same of KOTCS. I find 2, and 4 watchable but not nearly as enjoyable as the other two films.
Raiders Of the Lost Ark-an amazing film that George Lucas, and Steven Spielberg can be extremely proud of.
Regarding The Last Crusade. I loved it

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
alway so much hate for TOD, i dont understand, it for some reason just works, it is one long thrill ride, that and where else are you going to get this smileing face

92c129a1_mola_ram.jpeg

funny story, watching this with my son and he ask why Woopie Goldberg looked so upset

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Stephen_J_H said:
I didn't have many problems with CS, apart from the whole "nuke the fridge" scene, which I viewed as cinematic hyperbole; nobody goes to an Indy movie expecting realism. As for people harping on Temple of Doom, it was truer to the Saturday morning serial format than Raiders was, because it was so spectacularly over the top. Raiders will always be my favourite of the four, but it's the law of diminishing returns when dealing with a franchise that was never intended to have sequels in the first place (see The Alien Anthology among others, for examples).
I liked the "nuke the fridge" bit & thought I was in for a good movie, but then his boorish moronic son appeard (for "the kids" I suppose) & then that stupid chase that went on forever, & Ray Winstone, friend/enemy/friend/enemy/friend/whatever, I forget..flying saucer..the end. I love the first one & like the third & would buy a Blu-ray of them, but not all four. I'm in no rush, the DVD's look good to me.

Mark Oates

Supporting Actor
Call me a philistine, but I look at the Indiana Jones pictures the same way I look at the Bonds - there aren't any really bad ones, some are just better than others. It really boils down to "it's an Indiana Jones/ Bond movie!!" (delete as applicable).
I enjoyed Skull as a different era of Indy the same way I enjoyed Goldeneye as a different era of Bond to Diamonds Are Forever. Roger Moore is my Bond, but I appreciate the Connerys, the Daltons, the Brosnans and the Craigs just as much (not forgetting George, of course). In the same way Skull is simply a different era for the character to the pre-war adventures.
I'm beginning to suspect I'm a movie series whore, because I love old movie series like the Rathbone Holmes pictures, the Oland and Toler Chans, the Mr Motos, the Thin Man series and so on.

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce
dana martin said:
alway so much hate for TOD, i dont understand, it for some reason just works, it is one long thrill ride, that and where else are you going to get this smileing face

funny story, watching this with my son and he ask why Woopie Goldberg looked so upset
Don't get me wrong, I don't hate Doom by any stretch of the imagination. I think that it, and the whole Indy series is head and shoulders above any other action adventure film out there. However when comparing it to Raiders, its somewhat lacking, still hugely enjoyable, but lacking.
Doug

Kevin EK

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Doug, not to derail this thread by any means, but why would anyone encode a commentary track in HD?

I can understand doing that with the actual sound mix for the movie, but the commentary?

Ted Van Duyn

Stunt Coordinator
dana martin said:

Oh, come now. Anyone with eyes knows right away that Mola Ram is NOT Whoopie Goldberg. Look at those eye brows!

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Movie Series Whore. You know, I think I qualify for that position myself. And it very well might have started with the Bonds. There's something compelling about following the evolution of a series of [films, or you name it] and I think it also feeds into our collecting impulse. There are plenty of film series that don't interest me at all -- but I find that once I get bitten by one of them, I'm lost.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
It was the shrunken head he was talking about, he also said that in Raiders, it looks nothing like Alfred Molina when Sapito is spiked, kid has a wierd sence of humor.

as for the Bond analogy that was mentined in this thread, i think that sums it up, it's not that TOD or KOTCS are bad, it's just that Raiders and LC are better films.

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce
Kevin EK said:
Doug, not to derail this thread by any means, but why would anyone encode a commentary track in HD?
I can understand doing that with the actual sound mix for the movie, but the commentary?
I've seen it done, but I don't remember on what movie. It might just be simpler licensing wise to encode them all in the same format.
In addition to that, even if you max out the bit rate using AVC for the codec, you are only going to fill a little over half of a 50 gig blu-ray with a 2 hour movie, so who cares if the commentary is HD or not.
Doug

WinstonCely

Second Unit
Real Name
Winston Cely
dana martin said:

Wait, was he talking about the actor, or the face on the actor's head gear?

Paul_Warren

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul
Sept 18th is the release date someone also had the coverart up but Paramount removed it just now. 5 BD set as well (1 extras only 4 movies hopefully the movies fill the discs bitrate wise!!). The official announcement is probably a few days away............

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
jacksparrow900 said:
if that's the cover art I like it better than the star wars blu ray complete collection.
It looks a lot like a WB cover and I agree it's way better than Star Wars cover was. It captures everything about Indy, just needs the boulder (bowling ball) to be complete.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks