What's new

Paramount Announces Indiana Jones Blu-ray Collection Fall 2012 (1 Viewer)

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Of course, based on that clip, she also could have been his daughter in-law, instead of his daughter. With the mention of grand-kids, she obviously is married, and I know plenty of married women who call their father in-law 'Dad'.
David

Kevin EK

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
While we're on the subject of Mythbusters and Indiana Jones, how'd they do on somebody pulling a guy's heart out of their body, having the heart still beating while out of the body, and the guy still alive after said removal?

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Originally Posted by Kevin EK /t/318936/paramount-announces-indiana-jones-blu-ray-collection-fall-2012/60#post_3904984
While we're on the subject of Mythbusters and Indiana Jones, how'd they do on somebody pulling a guy's heart out of their body, having the heart still beating while out of the body, and the guy still alive after said removal?
To quote MST3k: "Repeat to yourself it's just a show, I should really just relax" :) :) (Which I assume was your point, it would definitely be mine!)

MattBradley

Second Unit
Real Name
Matt Bradley
Kevin EK said:
I had a girl in high school do that to me.

SilverWook

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bill
Thanks for the clip, Ted.
Mythbusters could totally do the nuke fridge thing if they only could get enough TNT together. ;)

Paul_Warren

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul
Lucas will not do a commentary for these thats a given as he did not direct them. Most commentary's IMO are rubbish anyway a waste of disc space & needless reduction of AV bitrate.
Best commentaries I ever heard were:
Shatner/Nimoy on Star Trek4 (they were supposed to return for Trek5+6 commentaries but never did), Nicholas Meyer on Star Trek2+6. John Carpenter/Kurt Russell on The Thing + Big Trouble In Little China, Joe Dante + Cast on Gremlins 2 (although that one gets quite heated due to someone insulting someones mother!!), Starksy & Hutch (2004) & Old School have some great comedy moments on them & The Goonies PIP video commentary with Donner + the Goonies actors is excellent.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
You should check out some of the film historian commentaries on Criterion releases, Paul. Those are generally really great. Michael Jeck's commentary on Seven Samurai is probably my favorite commentary ever recorded. It's one of the few I've listened to more than once and it's always intriguing, which is pretty amazing considering the film is 3.5 hours long.

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce
Paul_Warren said:
Lucas will not do a commentary for these thats a given as he did not direct them. Most commentary's IMO are rubbish anyway a waste of disc space & needless reduction of AV bitrate.
Best commentaries I ever heard were:
Shatner/Nimoy on Star Trek4 (they were supposed to return for Trek5+6 commentaries but never did), Nicholas Meyer on Star Trek2+6. John Carpenter/Kurt Russell on The Thing + Big Trouble In Little China, Joe Dante + Cast on Gremlins 2 (although that one gets quite heated due to someone insulting someones mother!!), Starksy & Hutch (2004) & Old School have some great comedy moments on them & The Goonies PIP video commentary with Donner + the Goonies actors is excellent.
Most commentaries take up less than about 700 mb and about 250 mbps (on blu-ray). Not exactly taking up much bitrate space.
Doug

Ted Van Duyn

Stunt Coordinator
I LOVE commentaries, even the bad ones where the film makers sit down, talk about what's happening on screen and leave LOOOONG pauses. I relish commentaries, I live by commentaries. I declare a DVD/BluRay isn't complete without commentaries.
I wish Spielberg would do a commentary for Raiders. :(

Zack Gibbs

Screenwriter
Douglas Monce said:
Most commentaries take up less than about 700 mb and about 250 mbps (on blu-ray). Not exactly taking up much bitrate space.
Doug
Yeah, it's the alternate language tracks that really hog up all the disc space. I can see how some would see them as the same thing.

Kevin EK

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
250 mbps sounds like a bit much for a commentary. Is that 250 kbps?

And is it really 700 megs for a commentary? I have seen commentary audio files at 25 megs for a full two hours - are those compressed?

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce
Kevin EK said:
250 mbps sounds like a bit much for a commentary.  Is that 250 kbps?
And is it really 700 megs for a commentary?  I have seen commentary audio files at 25 megs for a full two hours - are those compressed?
Depends on if it is encoded as a standard Dolby Digital track or a Dolby True HD or DTS Master Audio.
Doug

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Raiders is still one of my favorite movies. I was nine when it came out and saw it 11 times in the early 80s as big movies were re-released in theaters in those days. As much of a Star Wars fan as I have always been, Raiders is right up there and might even edge them out for me, so this release is huge. I watched the DVD a while ago and maybe because my set-up is better than before, I was disappointed with the video quality even for DVD.
I always thought Temple of Doom was good - even though not in Raiders' class, but how can that be expected. However, I think it's actually a better adventure per se when you look at from where the movie started to where it finished. The different sets, environments, scenes, etc. were amazing really. I also like the darker aspects of the film. The Indiana Jones character felt very much in sync with the same one in Raiders.
Last Crusade always disappointed me. I found it too light-hearted and too much humor in it. I also never liked the idea of Indy's father being in it. I also found the cinematography to be disappointing. It didn't have the same look or great sets like the first two movies. Still, I find it an "okay" movie.
Skulls - not much to say. I thought it was a complete disaster and disrespect to the Indy franchise, but I know some people think it's just as good and no differnet than the others (which completely baffles me).

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Dave H said:
Skulls... I know some people think it's just as good and no differnet than the others (which completely baffles me).
Once again, no one has said that. I said that I don't see much difference in quality between the second and fourth movies. Yes, there is a massive difference in quality between the first and fourth ones but there's also a massive difference in quality between the first and second & third ones too.

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
TravisR said:
Skulls - not much to say. I thought it was a complete disaster and disrespect to the Indy franchise, but I know some people think it's just as good and no differnet than the others (which completely baffles me).
TravisR said:
Once again, no one has said that.
Dave said it post 31, and Matt more or less agrees in post 33.
I agree with you that Temple and Skull are about on par with one another, far below Raiders and Crusade. But there are definitely at least a few fans out there who think that Skulls fits in with the others just fine. I, too am baffled by this--but to each his own!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks