What's new

Paramount Announces Indiana Jones Blu-ray Collection Fall 2012 (1 Viewer)

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
Commentaries are perfect for listening to while you do other things. Personally, I don't have the time (or desire) to sit through a 2 hour film listening to an alternate soundtrack. I find most tracks to be either too technical or too sparse. I'll take a well-produced documentary over commentaries any day.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Dave Scarpa said:
Yeah it's a price Drop wait on this set, not sure why all the hate on Skull, it was very much in keeping with the style of the other Indy Movies, with updated 2000's filmamking. It's no more "out there" than any of the other films.
A matter of opinion of course, but the general complaints I hear, and agree with are:
1) Absolutely no chemistry with Indy/Marion this time around
2) The character of Mutt is the Jar Jar Binks of the Indy world(annoying, and unnecessary)

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
I don't watch commentaries, but rather listen to them with the picture turned off. I enjoy getting all behind the scenes information, but I don't like to watch the movies that way.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
This is no offense to anyone: however, when I hear people say there is really no difference between Raiders of the Lost Ark and "Skulls" I really start to wonder why they cannot see the difference between excellent and poor movie making. The story, the script, the acting, the directing, the production, the "spirit" - everything about Raiders was so far superior - yet some cannot see the difference just because there may be supernatural things that take place in both movies, or some other similar individual elements. It baffles me people cannot see deeper into what makes quality film making.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Originally Posted by Dave H /t/318936/paramount-announces-indiana-jones-blu-ray-collection-fall-2012/60#post_3903809
This is no offense to anyone: however, when I hear people say there is really no difference between Raiders of the Lost Ark and "Skulls" I really start to wonder why they cannot see the difference between excellent and poor movie making. The story, the script, the acting, the directing, the production, the "spirit" - everything about Raiders was so far superior - yet some cannot see the difference just because there may be supernatural things that take place in both movies, or some other similar individual elements. It baffles me people cannot see deeper into what makes quality film making.

Amen to that.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Dave H said:
This is no offense to anyone: however, when I hear people say there is really no difference between Raiders of the Lost Ark and "Skulls" I really start to wonder why they cannot see the difference between excellent and poor movie making.
Maybe I missed it but who said that there wasn't a difference between Raiders and Crystal Skull? I said that I didn't see a difference between Temple Of Doom and Kingdom Of The Crystal Skull (more specifically I said Crystal Skull was actually better). I think they're both fun but flawed movies. Temple Of Doom has the good fortune of being a movie that many people grew up watching so it's many obvious flaws are given a pass while Crystal Skull is given no quarter.

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce
TravisR said:
Maybe I missed it but who said that there wasn't a difference between Raiders and Crystal Skull? I said that I didn't see a difference between Temple Of Doom and Kingdom Of The Crystal Skull (more specifically I said Crystal Skull was actually better). I think they're both fun but flawed movies. Temple Of Doom has the good fortune of being a movie that many people grew up watching so it's many obvious flaws are given a pass while Crystal Skull is given no quarter.
Agreed. None of the other Indy films are as good as Raiders. I remember being pretty disappointing with Temple of Doom when it first came out. Of course how could they top what became my favorite movie of all time. Perhaps after being somewhat disappointing with Doom and Crusade, by the time Skull came along I was willing to cut it a fair amount of slack, but at this point, its my second favorite movie of the series.
Doug

Ted Van Duyn

Stunt Coordinator
I'm probably going to be locked into a fridge by saying this, but Temple of Doom is the most unique Indiana Jones story out of all the four films. Let me explain. Here are certain plot/story points that each film EXCEPT Temple of Doom featured.
1. Indiana Jones actually looking for the artifact from the start.
Raiders had him describe the ark to the washington guys, Crusade had him explain the grail to the evil nazi guy, and Skull had him describe the crystal skull to, well everyone from the start. In Temple of Doom, the importance of the stones are told to Indiana instead, and he didn't start out intentionally looking for them.
2. Some evil foreign army is looking for the said artifact.
Nazis want the Arc, Nazis want the Grail, and Russians want the Aliens. The enemy in Temple of Doom are local folks.
3. The bad guys outwit Indy, but the artifact they were seeking overwhelms and kills them.
Raiders has Indiana Jones surrender to witness the opening of the Ark which winds up killing Belloq but not Indy. Evil Nazi guy makes Indiana Jones help find the grail but in the end the evil guy is tricked and dies. In Crystal Skull, the evil russian lady has Indiana Jones at her mercy, finds what she is looking for, and is burned alive because the aliens are a**holes. Temple of Doom had Indiana Jones trick the bad guy into trying to grab the stone with both hands while climbing a not so stable bridge that was now a ladder. Heck, he seemed to have held on to that flaming hot stone pretty well before Indy punched it out of his hand.
4. Indiana Jones collects the artifact, only to have it taken and/or destroyed.
In Raiders, the Ark is taken by the Washington guys and stored in a warehouse. In Crusade, the grail lowers Elsa's IQ by 5 million which causes her to drop the grail into a crack in the ground. In Crystal Skull, all the skulls join into one alien who kills the russian woman and leaves. In Temple of Doom, Indy successfully obtains the stone and returns it to it's place of origin where the inhabitants can now prosper.
Bonus round. Short Round is far more tolerable than Shia "King of the Monkeys" Labugfudge. Still, Indy's best companions were always the fun, wise and well meaning adults.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Two thoughts:
1. The initial sequence in TOD is the best part of the series. It gives me a thrill every time I see it.
2. Jar Jar is much more likable than Mutt Lange. I would have rather had Indy team up with Jar Jar in Indy 4 than Mutt. Still, Short Round would beat them both.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Mutt could of been an okay character with the right actor. Despite his drunken shenanigans, Shia Labeouf will never be a tough guy. His Brando impersonation was the most embarrassing thing in that movie. Though Lebeouf is usually the most embarrassing thing in his movies.

I don't mind re-buying Crystals Skulls, I'm going to wait for the mark down sell through price anyways.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Enjoying a character is in the eye of the beholder and I liked Short Round when I was 8 but looking at the character as an adult, he's way more annoying than Mutt Lange to me. Short Round is only in the movie so kids have someone to identify with and that's a far worse sin than Indy having a wannabe-greaser kid after tomcatting around the globe for decades.
And it's fair to criticize the silliness of the fridge & nuclear bomb scene in Indy IV as long as you're willing to criticize the even more ludicrous scene in TOD where three people hop out of a crashing plane in a rubber raft, ride it all the way down a mountain (including off a cliff, through bad terrain, and into raging rapids) and manage to not all die instantly.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Originally Posted by TravisR /t/318936/paramount-announces-indiana-jones-blu-ray-collection-fall-2012/60#post_3904209
And it's fair to criticize the silliness of the fridge & nuclear bomb scene in Indy IV as long as you're willing to criticize the even more ludicrous scene in TOD where three people hop out of a crashing plane in a rubber raft, ride it all the way down a mountain (including off a cliff, through bad terrain, and into raging rapids) and manage to not all die instantly.
True. I think what turns people off on Crystal Skullz is tone. Me anyways. The first three Indy films played suitable for all ages. (to a point anyways, TOD has that awesome heart scene that blew our kid minds back in the day). Skullz though plays like a kids film that panders to the audience. Hence there's a gopher giving a double take and crap like that. Still, Skullz has a couple of set pieces that work really well, or good enough to not be a total failure.

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce
Ted Van Duyn said:
Bonus round. Short Round is far more tolerable than Shia "King of the Monkeys" Labugfudge. Still, Indy's best companions were always the fun, wise and well meaning adults.
I totally agree with this, and I think they should bring back Ke Huy Quan to play Short Round as an adult! Which is what the SHOULD have done for Skull!
Doug

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce
TravisR said:
They tested this on Mythbusters, and found that it was entirely possible to survive, with virtually no injuries at all. Well at least they tested the jumping out of the plain with a raft part.
The more ludicrous thing in Doom is dangling a human about 6 feet from molten lava, and not have them die with in moments of 3rd degree burns, not to mention being poisoned by the noxious gases.
Doug

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Douglas Monce said:
They tested this on Mythbusters, and found that it was entirely possible to survive, with virtually no injuries at all. Well at least they tested the jumping out of the plain with a raft part.
If Mythbusters can get a hold of a nuclear bomb, they could show that a lead lined refrigerator would provide enough protection from a nuclear shockwave too. Unfortunately, that doesn't mean that all the other elements needed to survive either sequence will happen for you though. :)

Ted Van Duyn

Stunt Coordinator
My big gripe with the character of Mutt stems from me actually watching the Young Indiana Jones show. Indiana Jones had a DAUGHTER. I don't know about everyone else, but father/daughter adventure stories aren't all that common especially when compared to every single father/son stories that we can't seem to get enough of. In fact, I was kind of proud of Lucas making the suggestion that it should be Indy's daughter from the series, but than Spielberg decided to retcon it so we can have Shia in the role and so we can have that Jr. joke again. I know many will say that the series doesn't count, but the Crystal Skull clearly shows that isn't the case. Indiana Jones makes an explicit reference to an episode where Indy did in fact meet Pancho Villa.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Originally Posted by Ted Van Duyn /t/318936/paramount-announces-indiana-jones-blu-ray-collection-fall-2012/60#post_3904615
My big gripe with the character of Mutt stems from me actually watching the Young Indiana Jones show. Indiana Jones had a DAUGHTER.

I had no idea! I can't help but think that Indiana Jones and his daughter would of improved the film ten fold. Then again, they could of used a rock with a smiley face on it instead of Shia and it would of improved...

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce
Russell G said:

I had no idea! I can't help but think that Indiana Jones and his daughter would of improved the film ten fold. Then again, they could of used a rock with a smiley face on it instead of Shia and it would of improved...
Particularly if she were hot! :D
Doug

SilverWook

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bill
Where did Indy's daughter appear? Was it in the "Really Old Indy" bookends that vanished when the series was rejiggered for home video?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks