What's new

Paradigm Atom System, Good or Not?? Advice Needed (1 Viewer)

Dan Da Silva

Stunt Coordinator
Hey guys I was thinking of upgrading the Sony SA-VE815ED Speaker system that I bought about 8 months ago to the Paradigm system that is in this months, Perfect Vision Magazine. I know 8 months is so short but I have caught Upgrade Fever!! Well my question is does anyone own these speakers or has any one heard them before and if you did can you give me your opinions of them?? I'm looking at getting the CC-170 Center, and 2 pairs of the Atoms to use as my fronts and surrounds. I was thinking of getting the Atoms as rears also instead of the ADP-70 surrounds, unless you guys tell me to go with the dipolar/bipolar 70's instead of the direct radiating Atoms. As for the Sub in this setup I'm saving up for an SVS. This setup above goes for $189 a pair for the Atoms, $199 for the CC-170 Center and $399 for a pair of ADP-70 surrounds. Thanks in advance for any help you guys can give me.

Ryan Peddle

Second Unit
The atoms make great surrounds. Currently I am using atoms as my surrounds in my Monitor 7 , CC370 setup. I used to use mini monitors but actually find the atoms to be a better fit. I found the mini's to be to directional and didn't disperse the sound the way DD and DTS soundtracks were meant.
Form what I know the ADP70 surrounds don't use the same quality of drivers as anything in the Performance series. They are the only speaker in the whole group the uses a woofer and tweeter of lesser quality.
My advice is to either get 4 atoms and a cc170, or get 2 titans, cc170, 2 atoms.
Hope that helps.
------------------
Oops, I dropped my eardrums.
Could you pick them up for me?

John Cain

Second Unit
In November Paradigm will be shipping the new ATOM so you may want to wait for that..
-- John
------------------

Saurav

Senior HTF Member
$200 for your front mains, $400 for your surrounds, $500-$700 for your subwoofer - doesn't that sound a little skewed from the "allocation of funds" point of view?
I was thinking of getting the Atoms as rears also instead of the ADP-70 surrounds, unless you guys tell me to go with the dipolar/bipolar 70's instead of the direct radiating Atoms.
I believe there are pros and cons to both approaches, and there is no "correct" answer to this. I suggest you research this in more detail, to decide whether direct/bipolar/dipolar speakers best suit your application and your tastes.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
In April of 2000, when I was shopping for a 5.1 speaker package, I chose Energy over Paradigm. More specifically, I chose Energy e:XL 16 bookshelf speakers for my mains and surrounds over Paradigm Atoms (same price). My dad and I felt the Energys were more lively and accurate, especially with music, than the Paradigms. We tried both speakers with several DVDs, rock and pop CDs, and classical music CDs, and the Energys were clearly better. Of course, your mileage may vary. By the way, I completed the Energy package with an e:XL-C center speaker and e:XL-S10 10" subwoofer.
------------------
My:
HT Pics ; Equipment List ; DVD Collection ; LD Collection
KeithH: Saving the Home Theater World Before Bedtime

Saurav

Senior HTF Member
Wow, Energy are more lively than Paradigm? That's interesting. I don't think I've heard the Atom, but I heard the Titan and own the Mini Monitor, and I think both are pretty bright and sparkly. That's interesting that Energy speakers are even more so.

Nick G

Stunt Coordinator
I used Atoms as main speakers while waiting for my Studio 20s to come in and I think there are an amazingly good speakers for their price and size. I am now using them as my surrounds and am very pleased with them for that purpose too. I also find the Atoms VERY accurate and detailed. Great for both HT and music. Highly recomended.
Regards, Nick

John Cain

Second Unit
Hey Nick, are the Atoms rear ported like the Reference 20's??
Are the ATOMS ported at all??? I would like to mount them really close to the rear wall as surrounds.
Take care,
-- John
------------------

Lanny Hoff

Stunt Coordinator
The Atoms are indeed rear ported. I use a pair on my mantle in the living room and have to place them out from the wall about 2". I can imagine running into a small problem using these as wall mounted surrounds if you hang them directly on the wall, but if you get one of the myriad speaker mounting arms, you should have no concerns.
For what it's worth, I like the specs of the system you outlined in your post. You'll find that the old Atoms can play fairly loudly and cleanly, but consider a higher-end center channel, as that will do a lot of the work in any HT system.
You may wish to consider upgrading to the CC 370 as a center and use Atoms all the way around. It will cost almost exactly the same as the system you mention. Then, when upgraditis strikes again, you can upgrade your mains and still have an ass-kicking system. As far as using Titans for the mains, it's not a bad idea, but I actually like the sound of the Atoms better. They don't have as much low-end, but they have enough to blend brilliantly with any good sub.
Have fun!

Mickey Brown

Stunt Coordinator
I have Atoms as rear surronds with Reference front channels. If I were you, I would spend the extra 20-40 on Titans for the fronts. They extend lower and would blend better with a sub.
2 titans, a cc170, and Atoms would be a fantastic HT setup for the price.

Nick G

Stunt Coordinator
John, as Lenny said the Atoms are indeed ported in the back. The dealer I bought them from sells a wall mount for $25 that keeps them an inch or two from the wall that he says sounds fine. Paradigm in fact builds them with the hook up for a bracket mount right on the back, so I would not have a problem wall mounting them. Did I say in my previous post they were great little speakers? :) Enjoy.
Regards, Nick

Darin H

Auditioning
I used the Atoms as mains for quite some time. You will want a good sub, but they are really great speakers. I recently bought Mini Monitors for mains and moved the Atoms to surrounds. I am very happy with the sound.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
quote: I have Atoms as rear surronds with Reference front channels. If I were you, I would spend the extra 20-40 on Titans for the fronts. They extend lower and would blend better with a sub.[/quote]
I'm in complete agreement here, since this is nearly my setup.
biggrin.gif
I have 4 Titans and a CC-170 and it sounds excellent for the price ($480 for all 5!). The Atoms are more accurate than the Titans in the midrange, but they do not have enough mid-bass. I've had the Titans for over a year and I'd say you cannot beat them in their price range, period.
quote: 2 titans, a cc170, and Atoms would be a fantastic HT setup for the price.[/quote]
I actually had the setup discussed above, with Atoms as my surrounds, and I returned them for another pair of Titans. A significant improvement. I listen to about 50/50 music to HT, so I wanted decent bass from the mains and the Atoms just didn't deliver. The Titans sound great set to "large", with or without the sub on, for music. As mains, the Atoms will only work with a sub and will likely work best when set to "small". I'm not knocking the Atom at all, it is an EXCELLENT speaker, but it wasn't what I was looking for.
My next upgrade will be coming shortly: The front stage will be swapped out for 2 Minis and a CC-370
wink.gif

I would not recommend wall mounting either of these speakers, though Paradigm does offer their own mounting brackets. Each of the V2 bookshelves have matching holes already waiting for these brackets. I feel they play best when given some room from near-by walls.
------------------
All progress is based upon a universal, innate desire on the part of every organism,
to live beyond it's income.
ITRCA ** Link Removed (sorry, car guy)
[Edited last by John Garcia on September 10, 2001 at 10:37 AM]

Ka Yuen

Agent
Dan,
I live about 30 miles from you if I have not mistaken. You butgeted $189 for the Atoms, you can get the Titans for that price. Locally, check out AVI, Soundcity and 6th Av.
Ka

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Yep, I got my SHEILDED Titans for $199...
------------------
All progress is based upon a universal, innate desire on the part of every organism,
to live beyond it's income.
ITRCA ** Link Removed (sorry, car guy)

Ed_A

Stunt Coordinator
John, where did you pick up your Titans from? That was a good deal. (Bay Area Audio? If so, any person you liked dealing with?) And what kind of stands did you get for those?
So upgradeitus hit you, huh? Minis up front with the CC370 will sound great I'm sure.
Thanks,
Ed

Tyson

Stunt Coordinator
Best bet IMO is to get 3 pairs of atoms, with one pair shielded. Use 1 shielded atom as your center channel, and the other one as the rear center. Now you have 6.1 surround, and perfectly matched tonal and dispersion characteristics from all 6 speakers. And it is cheaper to boot.

Dan Da Silva

Stunt Coordinator
Guys thanks for all your great input on my question, now that I'm reading all of this I'm thinking of getting 4 Titans and either a CC170 or CC370 as my center. What do you think of that setup?? and which Center speaker would you choose that would best tonally and timbre match the Titans???

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The CC170 is from the "regular" Paradigm line, while the CC370 is from the Monitor line. Each is interchangable with either line, though I would still recommend sticking with the same line of speaker (monitor line uses better drivers and slightly different construction). The sound stage produced by the 170 and the Titans is seemless, almost as if they were one speaker working together.
icon14.gif
The 170 has excellent bass response for it's size, and I have no complaints about it. The only reason I will likely go to a 370 is to perfectly match it to the Minis. I will try the Minis out with just the 170 first and see how it sounds (Hopefully the place will let me in-home demo them). I want the Minis up front for stereo music, and I am actually considering Monitor 3s.
Ed
Yes, I got the deal at Bay Area Audio. Nobody in particular, they are all pretty good guys.
biggrin.gif
Upgrade bug, yes.

Chris Demaree

Stunt Coordinator
I happen to be using a pair of Titans for my mains with a cc-170 center, energy take2's as my surrounds (all powered by an Outlaw 1050) and an SVS 20-39pc for the sub. I am really happy with these speakers (take2's will be replaced soon) and am surprised at how loud they will play in my living room (12x13x8 - open to the kitchen on one side). The price was definitely right, too.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks