Paradigm system questions, need quick answers...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Stephen Hopkins, Jan 26, 2003.

1. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

I'm pretty set on getting one of the two setups:

Mains: Phantoms (older bookshelf, 2-way w/ 8" and 1" tweeter)
    Center: CC-170, 270, 150, or 250
    Surrounds: Titans
    Back Surrounds: Atoms

Total: $600 - $650

or...

Mains: 3SE MK3s
    Center: 3SE MK3
    Surrounds: Titans
    Back Surrounds: Atoms

Total: $650 - $700

Everything is used from audiogon or ebay. I think the 3SE MK3s in the front would sound great and be closer to the quality of the current Monitor line. I would be paying around $350 shipped for all 3, but they wouldn't come with grilles and I would have to buy replacements from Paradigm IF they still carry them. I would also have to buy or (more likely) build stands for all speakers other than the center.

I also think the Phantoms would sound really good in the front, but i'd have to hold out on the center until i could find one used or get up to the Paradigm dealer in Dalton, GA which is an hour drive from atlanta. The price of a new 170 center there is $174 w/ tax, and the 270 is $241. I'm hoping to find a 270 or 250 online for under $150, but i would settle for the 170 or 150 for around $125. Until i got a center, i'd probably use one of the Atoms. Also, the Phantoms from Audiogon include stands, which is one less set that i'd have to build.

Either way, advice, insight, and help would be appreciated. Also, anyone selling any paradigm speakers, especially the centers i just mentioned, please drop me a line at [email protected]

Thanks [​IMG]

2. Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer

Someone must have something to say. I was expecting at least one person to come back with "trust your ears" or "listening is the only way to decide". But these speakers no longer being sold in stores, the closest comparison i can make is the Monitor 3 (representing the 3SE MK3) compared to the Focus (representing the Phantom Bookshelf).

Anyone who owns or has owned or listened critically to any of these speakers, your opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

3. Nick Cerretti

Nick Cerretti Stunt Coordinator

IMO, go with the 3SE MK3s. The fact that you would be using one for your center is more than enough. Although how do you plan on getting these guys level with each other?

The phantoms are part of what I like to call the "bleh" line of Paradigm speakers. Really, I see no reason for them, unless you absolutely need a floor-stander (and the phantom isn't much of a floorstanding to begin with).

Although I doubt you would get the grills for the Mk3s.. if thats a problem, than I'd skip'em. And I believe you can do your own stands, so that shouldn't be too much problem?

.. ah shucks nevermind! [​IMG] Trust your ears! Its the only way to decide! [​IMG]

4. Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer

Well I did go with the 3SE MK3s. They won't be level with each other however. I'm going to build 24" stands for the Left and Right speakers and experiment w/ the center on top of my 43" RPTV (regular, on it's side, upside down, etc...). If I can't get the grilles for them, I'll probably make those too.

The Phantoms that I was considering were the older version 1 Phantoms. They weren't a floorstanding speaker. They were a large bookshelf w/ an 8" woofer and 1" tweeter. The closest current model is the Focus, which has the same 1" tweeter, but a 6.5" woofer and smaller enclosure. Either way, I think I made the right decision. If not, my ears will tell me in about a week [​IMG]

Thanks for the reply and reaffirmation of my decision [​IMG]