What's new

International PAL AND OTHER-REGION DVD ANNOUNCEMENTS & REVIEWS (1 Viewer)

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
classicmovieguy said:
I think the French BD of "Forever Amber" has fixed subtitles.
This is a really annoying problem that occurs primarily in French releases. I wonder if one wrote to Sidonis about this idiotic practice and explained that it almost kills their English speaking customer sales it might do any good. After all, we all know that whoever owns the MGM/UA catalogue will certainly NEVER release KINGS OF THE SUN in blu-ray form. Sad!

bluelaughaminute

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ernie
Ed Lachmann said:
This is a really annoying problem that occurs primarily in French releases. I wonder if one wrote to Sidonis about this idiotic practice and explained that it almost kills their English speaking customer sales it might do any good.
That's the idea . The forced subtitles are usually a contractual obligation from the films original owner to deter sales in other countries if the content is released by different companies in different countries. In the UK it is possible to buy players where part of the multi region modification includes disabling the UOP that stops you from removing those subs.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Well, both Boy On A Dolphin and Cukor's Justine are out in the UK. Anyone bought or seen them yet? I'm curious if both but especially Dolphin are anamorphic wide screen. I have the German Dolphin but I'm ready to upgrade if it's an anamorphic transfer.

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
bluelaughaminute said:
That's the idea . The forced subtitles are usually a contractual obligation from the films original owner to deter sales in other countries if the content is released by different companies in different countries. In the UK it is possible to buy players where part of the multi region modification includes disabling the UOP that stops you from removing those subs.
I just wonder how Germany and Japan get away with putting out some of the same titles but without forced subs. The French company Filmedia has optional subs for its recent 55 DAYS AT PEKING BD, yet they are the very ones who had forced subs on their earlier release of EXODUS, which had optional subs in the concurrent German release. Hopefully, the French companies see how this practice hurts international sales and don't want to be the ONLY country forced to do this. It's odd that studios would have a contractual obligation in France and not have the same obligation in other countries. That just doesn't make any sense at all.

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
I am confused by the forced subtitles. My experience of subtitles on French releases is that they usually need to be removed using the remote control (all my players are Panasonic) whereas German distributors usually have a menu option.

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
Keith Cobby said:
I am confused by the forced subtitles. My experience of subtitles on French releases is that they usually need to be removed using the remote control (all my players are Panasonic) whereas German distributors usually have a menu option.
On others, like the French EXODUS, there is no way to remove them at all, even when using the remote. And, mine is a region free Oppo, which can do darn near anything.

bluelaughaminute

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ernie
I can remove any subtitles but that's because the UOP was disabled as part of the mod.
Usually if you can remove subs via the menu you can just use your SUB key on the remote to switch them off although this is not always the case . Disney titles will often need to return to the menu. Speaking of Disney , the disabled UOP also means you can change the ANGLE on the fly so when Disney present alternate foreign language opening titles usually only accessible by selecting the relevant audio track you can switch between them as the film runs.

Back to subtitles and the Spanish Hammer Horror dvd's had subs that were removeable but they were tricky as you had to select your audio track , then start the film then return to the menu to select no subs then restart the film . If you tried to do it all at once the subs would appear.

If you buy foreign discs regularly I can't recommend a UOP disabled player highly enough but I only know one company in the UK that offers that mod so I don't know what the US options are other than the programs you can buy to use for computer playback where removing subs should be easy

classicmovieguy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Byron
Douglas Sirk's "Interlude", starring June Allyson and Rossano Brazzi. This was released in Australia (via Madman's 'Directors Suite' series) back in 2011 but I've only just purchased it. A very nice 'scope print with gorgeous colour; extras include the original film "When Tomorrow Comes" (1939) starring Irene Dunne. For fans of Sirk and for fans of June Allyson (looking very glam) this is recommended, especially for its current RRP of $19.99.

mma8837.png

classicmovieguy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Byron
I just received the new UK edition of "Forever Amber", and briefly spot-checked it. Looks about the same as the Spanish release which was quite good. Happy to have an English-friendly copy on a pressed disc.

lionel59

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Michael Robert Lionel Evans
imgLoading_30x30.gif
$_1.JPG

Recently released in Australia. Around $19 in stores here. Try ezydvd.com. It may be a little more but they are having a 20% off week ending today or tomorrow (June 1st). Also being sold on ebay.com.au

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
While in Spain this week I bought the Blu-ray of John Huston's MOULIN ROUGE. I've always very much liked the film but for some reason it never seems to have been given much critical attention. It's on the Vertice label and is licensed from the rights owner, ITV Studios. Definition is extremely good although the print has various speckles and minor scratches. I'm not sure that it's vastly better than the MGM DVD because it has a sort of mistiness over the picture which isn't on the DVD (I'd liked to have had time to browse for other discs but being on holiday with family and relatives who have absolutely no interest in such things, sadly i wasn't allowed to do so!).

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
I just finished watching Shalako (1968) with Sean Connery and Brigitte Bardot. It came from Australia since (to the best of my knowledge) it's the only 16x9 anamorphic transfer available of the film. It's a nice transfer though for some reason in some scenes both the left and right edges are squeezed a bit.

My Australian blu of Exodus has been on backorder for three weeks now from EZYdvd but a 16x9 Darling (1965) is winging its way from Australia to me as I type.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
I received two DVDs and a blu ray from Germany.

First, the blu of The Sicilian Clan doesn't appear to be locked to region B. The back of the blu jacket is in German but I saw region ABC printed so I assumed it was playable on a region A (region 1) player and it played fine. It's in the original French and has English subtitles. It's a handsome transfer but not blow you away HD.

Then I also got 16x9 anamorphic DVDs of Madigan and Rollercoaster which are only 4x3 letterbox in region 1. Both in English with German subtitles optional. They look nice.

lionel59

Supporting Actor
Real Name
I don't know of one which takes Paypal, but here's a link to a website store selling it. I plan to phone them and speak to someone who knows some English and order it that way as I may misinterpret some of the information online.

www.dvd-premiery.cz/jak-ukrast-venusi-blu-ray/d-105171/

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Thomas T said:
Well, both Boy On A Dolphin and Cukor's Justine are out in the UK. Anyone bought or seen them yet? I'm curious if both but especially Dolphin are anamorphic wide screen. I have the German Dolphin but I'm ready to upgrade if it's an anamorphic transfer.
The comments left on Amazon UK by people who have bought these two DVDs indicate that the quality is very poor. Boy On A Dolphin seems to be non-anamorphic while Justine appears to be seriously bad in general.

As I would like to have both these films in my collection, I am disappointed.

(So far, no-one has left any comment about The Unguarded Moment)

ABaglivi

Second Unit
Real Name
Anthony
Using Mike*HTF's question, does anyone know of a prompt and reliable seller of Brazilian discs, Paypal or not. I would like to order the Region A Noah (Noe) 3D.

lionel59

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Hi Mike. I tried calling that Czech store. They don't handle English customers over the phone and asked me to email them. I will let you know the outcome.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks