What's new

Outlaw Audio ICBM Review (1 Viewer)

Tom-K

Stunt Coordinator
I will have three subwoofers in my H/T setup. One for left, right, and LFE. All based on the adire tempest drivers. I plan on purchasing the 950 when it comes out. Obviously the 950 will have the bass management requirements for the LFE, but I am thinking that this might be an inexpensive option to crossover the left and right mains to my left and right subs (40hz). Is anybody aware of any better options out there? I'm considering the Audio Control Richter scale, but don't like the subsonic filter @ 20hz, or their "adjustable" crossover frequency, requires work to change it. Any help is appreciated.

W

Will

Hi,
Is the ICBM past beta tests and in production now?
When will the 950 pre/pro start it's beta tests?

Art Miller

Stunt Coordinator
Tom,
I'm using the Richter Scale, but haven't changed the xover board from it's stock 80Hz. If I recall, it's no big deal changing the xover point. You just replace a card with a few resistors on it,that you can buy from AudioControl. The eq is somwhat helpful too. It only effects the bass frequencies, so won't muddy your main speakers. In general, most folks feel that a single resistor based xover is better than using a poteniometer. I'm pretty sure that the 20Hz rumble filter is a defeatable switch, left over from the age of LP rumble. Funny, I still play lots of LPs but don't use the filter. BTW I use it between 2 Shiva subs and a MTM designed by Avatar audio (Adire's name a couple of years back I believe)
//Art

Stan T

Stunt Coordinator
Gregg what is LFE trim control? You mentioned it in your previous reply.
I was wondering if the ICBM would work well with my setup for DVD-audio. I have fullrange front speakers with 300W subs in both front speakers. I don't have a seperate sub for LFE.
I would set my center speaker & surrounds to small since they are not capable of deep bass.
Normally when I play CDs in the digital domain I usually turn the bass up for the front mains in my receiver because I like alot of bass. However with the DVD-audio discs you can't turn tone up through the analog in. It doesn't have the thunderous bass that I like with my CDs.
Would the ICMB be able to increase the bass in my mains so it would produce the bass that I am used to when listening to CDs? I would love to find a place that would allow me to demo it to see if it would do what I am wanting it to do without having to buy it over the internet & receiving the item & it possibly not doing what I would be buying it for.
Thanks for your replies.

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Gregg - you have the Paradigm Reference CC as your centre channel right?
According to the documentation from ICBM the formula for choosing the cross over point is the speaker's lowest frequency plus 10 and then the next crossover.
So the low end for the CC is 70 hz. Add 10 to that and the next crossover setting from 80 is 100 right?
Did I miss something or did you try 100 for the centre and then try 80. Did you find 80 preferable?
I'm asking because the crossover on my 2095 is 90 and the Panansonic RP91 is 100. My centre channel definitely sounds clearer at the 100 setpoint.
What are your feelings on this?
Thanks
------------------
Every man is my superior, in that I may learn from him.
MyHTSetup

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Greg,
You never answered my question about ICBM capabilities built into the 950.
???
------------------
RAF
[Demented Video Dude since 1997]
[Computer Maven since 1956]
["PITA" since 1942]
Link Removed

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
RAF
Am I mistaken or didn't Outlaw say that their new 950 pre/pro would also include the features of the ICBM?
According to a post on the outlaw forum it seems the features of this device won't directly be available in the 950 pre amp. I believe they are considering some fixed crossover for the 5 channel inputs. I would guess that if the made the 950 do what the ICBM could do it would almost kill sales for the ICMD...or at least a portion of them
------------------
http://www.mts.net/~glendap/

John Geelan

Screenwriter
Got my confirmation today that my ICBM is ready to ship. I chose 2 day Fedex so it should be here by Friday!
JohnG
biggrin.gif

------------------

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
I would guess that if the made the 950 do what the ICBM could do it would almost kill sales for the ICMD...or at least a portion of them
Andrew,
I don't believe that this would be a major concern for Outlaw. After all, there is still a huge potential market at this point for the ICBM and the number of people purchasing 950's will be a drop in the bucket compared to the installed base of users with no bass management for their DVD-Audio players. A much bigger threat to the ICBM will be when all new DVD-A players incorporate bass management.
The reason I asked the original question was that I seem to recall something about this (bass management in the 950) being brought up in NY at the Outlaw demo and discussions during the Spring HiFi Expo last May. I just don't want to purchase a piece of equipment that will become unnecessary in a matter of months (not that I haven't ever done that before
laugh.gif
)
DVD-A at this point is not a priority to me (it sounds o.k. but there isn't enough product out yet to get me excited and the jewel cases, IMHO, truly suck the big one) so I'm not interested in throwing money at a one dimensional product, especially if the feature, or something that does the same thing, will be availabile in the 950 pre/pro.
------------------
RAF
["PITA" since 1942]
Link Removed

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
RAF, sorry I have not responded sooner. Here is a response from Outlaw Audio in relation to your question of bass mgt of the 950 vs the ICBM.
While the Model 950 will have an extensive bass management system in the
digital domain (for Dolby Digital, DTS, Pro-Logic II, etc), it will not
offer ICBM capabilities for its multi-channel inputs. We are looking at the
possibility of offering a single, fixed crossover point but it will NOT
include ICBM flexibility for system integration.
Lou, I changed the x over point of my CC from 80 to 100 and (quite honestly) couldnt tell a difference. I still have not had the time to test the ICBM device with DD / DTS video material using the Panny 91's onboard decoder. Perhaps by this weekend.
Gregg
------------------
The Sonodome
The Newest Sonotube
Gregg's DVDs
The Family Units

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Thanks Greg - I already placed my order but would still like to hear what you think.
I've gone back and forth between analog and digital and really do prefer the analog. Analog has better clarity and a more defined soundstage to me.
Is anyone else running in analog mode for watching DVDs?
I'd like to hear what others think.
------------------
Every man is my superior, in that I may learn from him.
MyHTSetup

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
While the Model 950 will have an extensive bass management system in the
digital domain (for Dolby Digital, DTS, Pro-Logic II, etc), it will not
offer ICBM capabilities for its multi-channel inputs. We are looking at the
possibility of offering a single, fixed crossover point but it will NOT
include ICBM flexibility for system integration.
Greg,
Thanks for the reply. Looks like I'll be ordering an ICBM. The (current) lack of bass on my DVD-A titles in DVD-Audio mode (when compared with the other listening modes) is not acceptable with my RP-91. I believe that the ICBM will do the trick.
------------------
RAF
["PITA" since 1942]
Link Removed

W

Will

Today, I guess the only cost-effective bass management
for DVD-A is Outlaw's ICBM. But I think that future
DVD-A players will incorporate bass management and the
better ones will have it in the digital domain (like
the bass management is today, for DTS and Dolby Digital),
rather than in the analog domain, as is the case with ICBM.
I may wait a few more months to hear what's announced
in upcoming DVD-A players.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks