What's new

Original Opening Logo WB / United Artist etc. (1 Viewer)

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
For me, one of the few minor disappointments of the A HARD DAY'S NIGHT (1964) 50TH ANNIVERSARY EDITION Blu-ray/DVD combo by Criterion, was the non inclusion of its original UNITED ARTISTS Hexagon shaped logo. From what I've read, it was Director Richard Lester's request that it not be included, probably to maximize the abrupt opening's impact! While I agree it stylistically makes sense, I still would have preferred the logo be included. Ah well!

CHEERS! :)

WuTang4Ever

Auditioning
Real Name
Chris Cornish
Well im definitely sick of not being able to see the Saul Bass Warner logos or those older UA logos being plastered. As for TV Shows Its CBS Television Distribution , 20th Television or Sony, All terrible logos on TV that plaster. I've seen a Saul Bass Warner logo on TV once, The only pre-80s UA logo i seen was on a French rerun of Giligan's Island with the 1968 United Artists Television logo on a French channel here in Canada. We always get those horrible TV plastering logos here most of the time

t1g3r5fan

Reviewer
Real Name
Mychal Bowden
On a recent TCM screening of it, Barry Lyndon had the Saul Bass WB logo replaced with the newer WB logo in white on a black background. Just a heads up.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I miss the logo at the begining of Exorcist.. seems like as the music kicked in it worked a lot better... but I doubt we will ever see the original logo linked to it again since they've been using the new one since the version you've seen a few times, and the theatrical works better was released.

I am re-reading this thread eight years after the OP, and am wondering if the Bass logo has been restored to any subsequent THE EXORCIST release. When I saw this theatrically in 1973, that logo along with the opening bars of the score actually made a huge impression on me. The f**king bland WB shield against a bunch of crappy-looking clouds on video releases simply doesn't cut it as a means of setting the mood for this film. I owned a 3-reel Super 8mm condensed version (about 50 minutes) of the film back in the 80's, and the Bass logo was intact. WTF can't the videos include it?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks