What's new

Press Release Warner Archive Collection Announcement: The Courtship of Eddie's Father (1963) (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
The above synopsis (by WAC?) is in error. Glenn Ford's character is a widower NOT "recently divorced". Much is made in the screenplay of Eddie's delayed response to his mother's death and when it comes, it begins a series of arguments between Ford and Jones. Ronnie Howard handles the grief his character is going through extremely well.
Does no-one who has seem the film proofread their synopses? I hope this isn't on the cover. As a comedienne here in Australia, Effie, usee to quip : "How embarrassment!"
Also, no mention of Jerry Van Dyke, Dick's brother, as a supporting cast member. Well before his mother became a car......
Those who mainly recall the TV show will be surprised to see that the maid is not portrayed an Asian actress. Miyoshi Umeki did the role in the series. Roberta Sherwood plays Mrs Livingston in the movie and has some good lines.
Yeah, I caught that error by Warner but didn't want to call them out twice for making errors with their announcements.

DarkVader

Second Unit
Real Name
Carlos
Just wanted to share this illustration from the mass market paperback edition released to tie-in with the film. I find it charming and the artist captured each actor perfectly.
coef.jpg

DarkVader

Second Unit
Real Name
Carlos
I just watched this again yesterday afternoon. It's definitely "of its time" in regard to its views regarding men, women, and relationships - some of it comes off as a bit misogynist. Although I do have to commend the depiction of Shirley Jones' character as a more independent-thinking woman than what was seen on the screen at that time. She took no b.s. from Glenn Ford. Ronny Howard is excellent in this as is Stella Stevens.

I also love that whimsical whistled tune that plays every time Stella Stevens' character "Dolly Daly" comes on screen. Does anyone know the name of that music cue?

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
Looks like it was perfect for a Music Hall New York opening. I wonder why they didn't choose it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks