What's new

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
OK, I can't be the only one asking a question... that's treading on the line of what discussion is allowed on HTF. Consider current events and trends. It's probably just due to poor management, but the timing seems like a mighty bigly coincidence.

As in Oppo's parent company being more interested in cell phones than bluray players? ;)

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
As in Oppo's parent company being more interested in cell phones than bluray players? ;)
The two companies are completely unrelated. Oppo Digital is an American company.

Correction... they are the same company. I had no idea. My original comment seems even more likely to me now.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
In regards to recent events having to do with this, I've heard the company decided to do this last year but nobody was allowed to disclose that until now.

Regardless, this just plain sucks- they were one of the last quality-minded electronics companies out there, and I'd hoped they would've eventually made a no-nonsense display (not a TV) that kept in line with their other products.

david hare

Supporting Actor
Real Name
david hare
When we were travelling through China last year huge Oppo displays in Mandarin and English were extremely prominent at Guangzhou Airport. And all the copious advertising was for cellphones. I think they have just decided China is their home and premium market.

Kyrsten Brad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
I've been putting off my Oppo purchase due to our recent move and I wanted to get closer to our planned purchase of a new big-screen UHD TV (Vizio 75" M-Series). This news is quite depressing and now I may have to consider Sony's UBP-X700 player, region-free of course.

That and two more months and I could have bought the Oppo on credit card points alone.

Anyone want to convince me to stay the course for the Oppo in the face of this shutdown?

BarryM

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Barry Margolis
Very sad news. I have the 93 player and love it. My brother just bought the 203 and he likes his too.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I've been putting off my Oppo purchase due to our recent move and I wanted to get closer to our planned purchase of a new big-screen UHD TV (Vizio 75" M-Series). This news is quite depressing and now I may have to consider Sony's UBP-X700 player, region-free of course.

That and two more months and I could have bought the Oppo on credit card points alone.

Anyone want to convince me to stay the course for the Oppo in the face of this shutdown?

I am in a similar position, Brad. While I already have a Sony X800 UHD player, I had planned on upgrading to something with Dolby Vision support and moving the Sony from the main home theater to our master bedroom. I was leaning heavily towards the Oppo, as I own one of their 980H DVD players which still gets used, and Oppo's player is one of the few current models which supports both SACD and DVD-Audio. I was waiting for a couple of things: (1) building up Amazon credits via my credit card (similar to you), and (2) reviews and feedback on Panasonic's new players, which will be available supposedly in June (I've had great luck with Panny DVD and BD players).

Everyone has to decide how much risk they are willing to take under these circumstances, but I won't be buying an Oppo UHD player based on this news. One of Oppo's strong points has been their service and support, and I cannot see how that will be maintained at the same level anymore, despite the company's promise of continued support. The 4k/UHD technology is still in it's "bleeding edge" stage, so support is even more important than with a more established format such as Blu-ray or DVD.

Last edited:

gadgtfreek

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason
For the tin foil hat theory, posters at AVS that have been accurate before said this decision was made last year. Certain folks do not want to admit it, but the 203 launch was rough, they had bugs well over 90 days in (marketing wanted it released to early?), took them forever to get HDMI in working right, and they still do not have their HDR to SDR conversion right (UB900 has been doing this for 2 years). The drive's are wonky and there have been plenty of returns.

I think they bit off more than they could chew trying to maintain the "play everything" drive with the new UHD format. I do not see pricing as a big deal, they have had their following for years, with people buying the 93, 103 and 103D when Sonys were $99. There is more to it. I felt at $549 this was their most fairly priced player yet considering all it does.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Are they nuts?!!! They are taking away the goals of people like me who are trying to save and keep up with the excellence of our HTF aficionados who have inspired me for quite some time. I almost got their $550 player, but opted to go for the ultimate perfection of the $1,200.00 player.

Which model now will prove to be my best OPPOrtunity?:unsure:

Last edited:

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
WANTED: 1 bdrm w/ kitchen privileges.
Must have LG OLED and OPPO UDP-205 accesses, as well.

Last edited:

stuartfanning

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Stuart Fanning
Presumeably they will be able to be imported from China. If the potential niche market is big enough surely some bright distributor will import in bulk. Unless of course OPPO is getting out the player market worldwide and concentrating on Mobile Phones in China and India.

skylark68

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
I can't remember who the company was, but didn't someone use the guts of the old Oppo BDP-83 and make it look real fancy on the outside at some point in time (early in the lifecycle of that product)? Maybe someone will do the same thing with the current Oppo line up. Unfortunately they'll be marked up quite a bit with that luxury nameplate on the case...

Reactions: PMF

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
I can't remember who the company was, but didn't someone use the guts of the old Oppo BDP-83 and make it look real fancy on the outside at some point in time (early in the lifecycle of that product)? Maybe someone will do the same thing with the current Oppo line up. Unfortunately they'll be marked up quite a bit with that luxury nameplate on the case...

That was Lexicon. Pretty big scandal at the time.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Wow, this is a surprise. I was considering buying their UHD player in a few months, but this announcement will probably have me looking elsewhere. While Oppo says they will be maintaining firmware, you have to wonder how long that will last. With no new income, staff will move on to other opportunities.

Same here and I have the same reaction as you too. I don't like owning unsupported products and it would just be a matter of time.

Very sad news as I had been salivating over the 203 since its release. :(

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Presumeably they will be able to be imported from China. If the potential niche market is big enough surely some bright distributor will import in bulk. Unless of course OPPO is getting out the player market worldwide and concentrating on Mobile Phones in China and India.
Oppo's announcement said they will cease manufacturing products. If they don't make a product, there is nothing to import.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
From OPPO to OOP would be further news to which I would say O Poo.:(

Last edited:

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
BTW, now that OPPO is packin', which of the other players would be deemed as their heir apparent?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks