What's new

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
One of the reasons Oppo has been so successful with their disc players is because they occupy a niche that no one else really does. They are a Swiss army knife, and lots of customers like that.

PMF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
The 9000 looks good, but it won't satisfy the "I love OPPO because it supports all my favorite formats" people.
When one goes out of business, then one can no longer lay claim to supporting any format, at all.;)
Now, with that said, I'm hearing 2 votes for the Panasonic 9000...am I hearing any others for the same?:)

Last edited:

PMF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Many thanks, RobertR. Yah, I just went to your supplied link and - in their own words - they wrote "not to be confused with the 900". Hey there, Panasonic, it looks like its too late; as the confusion by one digit, alone, has already begun. Makes one wonder why they simply didn't call it the 9001. Again, so sad to see Oppo go; but, hey, I'm not going to invest any further energies on mourning or being a part of any run on model or business that's exiting. Panasonic was there before and will remain, thereafter; so I, myself, will go to where there will be long-term support. Plus the end of 2018 is when the Panasonic 9000 is due to be out, which now gives me plenty of time to financially prepare.

My best regards to Oppo and my thanks for raising the standard.:thumbs-up-smiley:

Last edited:

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
It'll be interesting to see if the new Panasonic models can be made region free as easily as the Oppo players. I doubt it. The only way their current players can go down that road is by installing hacked firmware.

Easy region free modification is one thing that's always set Oppo apart for me. Converted my UDP-203 to region free for $50, and it will truly play anything I throw at it. I don't think there's another player on the market that has it all in one box like the 203 does. I'm sorry to see them go.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Panasonic is also coming out with a UB820 model which is supposed to support Dolby Vision and HDR10+. This unit should be much lower priced than the new flagship 9000.
Yes, it seems that the only difference between them is that the 820 lacks the "audiophile" features of the 9000.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
It is bizarre for a company to just come out of the blue that I thought was doing so well just to all of a sudden say they are calling it quits. They talk about support of customers, studios, technical partners and producing award winning products and that there latest 4K players have reached the pinnacle of their performance. But then it is time to say goodbye. So what actually happened? No company says we have reached the best we can do and it is time to call it quits! There has to be a reason they are not telling us! If they have run out of capitol to keep coming out with new product what happened to this 14 year old company? I have to say that even though I do not own any Oppo gear I was planning on upgrading my Samsung 4K player to a Oppo after I upgraded my Pioneer Elite receiver to a Marantz. So now I find myself wondering what player am I going to get now that Oppo is calling it quits? Something is not right in how this just came out and as far as I can see out of nowhere!

So anyone who was planning to get an Oppo 4K player later this year before this announcement? What player will you go with now? What player out there will come close to the Oppo?

Farewell
It has been 14 years since we established OPPO Digital in the United States, and with the support of our customers, technical partners, and movie/music studios, we produced many award-winning Hi-Fi audio products and universal disc players, spanning three generations from DVD, Blu-ray, to 4K UHD.

As our latest 4K UHD players reach the pinnacle of their performance, it is time to say goodbye. We are proud to have made such well-regarded products and to have served the enthusiast community. Without our customers' suggestions, encouragement, and support, we could not have accomplished these achievements.

Though OPPO Digital will gradually stop manufacturing new products, existing products will continue to be supported, warranties will still be valid, and both in-warranty and out-of-warranty repair services will continue to be available. Firmware will continue to be maintained and updates released from time to time. Customers can rest assured that they will continue to receive the high quality service and support that they have come to expect from OPPO Digital.

We greatly appreciate the opportunity to have developed such exciting products for our customers. It has been an honor.

Best regards,

All of us at OPPO Digital

Last edited:

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
BTW, did you both mean 900?
I didn't. The 900 is already out and doesn't support Dolby Vision. The 9000 is supposed to be their top of the line model for 2018. The 820 is the step-down model. Both will have Dolby Vision, but neither is certain to be sold on this side of the world. We're waiting to find that out.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
There has to be a reason they are not telling us!

Of course there is. Probably several.

But why should they tell us? What is, is.

I went all in last year and bought a 203. I've been absolutely thrilled with the player (I'm one of those guys who listens to SACDs, DVD-As and such) even though I don't yet have a 4k display.

I'm a little concerned about any future needs of support...but I hope that the player lasts a very long time.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Very bumbed that this company is going away and at some point I hope to have my Pioneer SC-05 replaced with a Marantz receiver with Atmos & X decoding with 4K video switching. After that I will try and focus on upgrading my current Samsung 8500 and the goal was to at least get a Oppo 203 like you purchased. So maybe I will see what else is available or maybe I will seek out a seller that has a Oppo 203 even if it is used, not sure currently.

I am concerned like you are with future support and that is why I may opt to go with another brand. But my main goal is to get my Pioneer Elite SC-05 replaced as soon as I can.

Upgrade Plans
Marantz SR 6012 or SR7012 Receiver
Oppo 203 4K Player or ???
Bowers & Wilkens Bookshelf Speakers for rear channel
4K Projector or 82" - 85" 4K UHD TV to replace current 55" Samsung 4K UHD TV

Last edited:

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
So anyone who was planning to get an Oppo 4K player later this year before this announcement? What player will you go with now? What player out there will come close to the Oppo?

I was planning on getting an Oppo 203 later this summer as a Dolby Vision upgrade and moving my Sony X800 to our master bedroom. With this announcement, I am awaiting news on the Panasonic UB820 -- the 9000 will be overkill for me, especially since I don't think it supports SACD and DVD-Audio. If I get the Panny, I may leave the Sony X800 in my main setup for its SACD/DVD-A capabilities and instead relocate my old Panasonic BD player out of that system to the bedroom. My wife is the only one who uses a disc player in the bedroom, and on the rare occasion she uses it the films she watches are not on UHD anyway. It's just that the Sony BD player in that room is an early generation model which is slow loading discs and is getting a little noisy. I also have an Oppo 980H in my main system that can be used for SACD/DVD-A, but it's getting old so I'd like to have a 2nd option for those formats.

SAhmed

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Shakeel
As somebody as already mentioned, on top being quality products (build, performance, service, functionality ...) it is very easy to enable them to be multi region - since I have an increasingly larger Region B collection then this an additional critical reason for me as to why I will buy another 203 while I can. Definitely share the concerns of the future availability of firmware upgrades but I am happy to roll the dice on this one.

Regards,

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
I don't like owning unsupported products and it would just be a matter of time.

I would be thinking the same thing if it was a complicated "swiss army knife" premium disc player like Oppos.

For something generic such as a cheapo Sony/LG/Samsung or a lawnmower, toaster, etc ... I probably wouldn't care as much about it being "unsupported" after the warranty expires. Basically throw away the old toaster when it dies, and buy a new one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bolorkay
Recent bookmarks