What's new
World Wide Stereo
Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
So glad I read this before buying (and so glad I waited till Christmas season to buy).
Last week, I bought that Region Free Mod Kit for my Oppo 203 and it works perfectly. I then placed my Region Free Modified Oppo 103 into my Bedroom HT and moved my Region Free Oppo 93 into my Computer Room HT.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Next question, can anyone on HTF recommend a vendor to purchase a zippo UDP-203, I mean an Oppo UDP-203?
Cursed auto-correct!'
I don’t think Oppo’s are discounted. Oppo itself may have refurbished models for a discount. I’m thinking I bought my 203 via Amazon, but the seller was Oppo.

Kyrsten Brad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Bombay Electronics seems to be offering me a price break on the region-free modification. Right now I'm looking at a price of $591 including the region-free mods (normal price is $699 still listed officially). Maybe that conversion kit is having an effect on the market. Or maybe its the military-vets discount.

Holding off till Dec 8th (credit card cycle (more points) and also closer to Christmas. Also for warranty period reasons). Money is put away for this but my credit card point total almost covers the purchase entirely.

Wife is getting a nice new laptop at the same time.

Next year is the year for the new 75" UHD-4K TV (with HDRxx and DV). Looking hard at Vizio M 75.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Bombay Electronics seems to be offering me a price break on the region-free modification. Right now I'm looking at a price of $591 including the region-free mods (normal price is $699 still listed officially). Maybe that conversion kit is having an effect on the market. Or maybe its the military-vets discount.

Holding off till Dec 8th (credit card cycle (more points) and also closer to Christmas. Also for warranty period reasons). Money is put away for this but my credit card point total almost covers the purchase entirely.

Wife is getting a nice new laptop at the same time.

Next year is the year for the new 75" UHD-4K TV (with HDRxx and DV). Looking hard at Vizio M 75.
Why does holding off the purchase mean more points. Isn’t it the same points whenever you buy? Are you sure the price break will be good until then?

Kyrsten Brad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Why does holding off the purchase mean more points. Isn’t it the same points whenever you buy? Are you sure the price break will be good until then?

Holding off till my cycle date will ensure all of November's points from purchases will be available when I make this purchase. And its a lot of points since I've been doing a lot of my Christmas gift shopping this cycle.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I can't seem to get at the commentary tracks on Game of Thrones Series 6 Blu Ray - any ideas?
That's an audio track. Select audio on your remote and you can access them that way. They probably won't be labeled as commentaries, but they should be there.

KeithDA

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Keith
That's an audio track. Select audio on your remote and you can access them that way. They probably won't be labeled as commentaries, but they should be there.

Sorry. I should have been clearer. The audio button on the remote doesn't reveal the tracks (often Dolby 2.0). The on-screen menu can be selected as 'on' but it doesn't work. I guess its something to do with my Oppo's audio output settings. I'll have a play around, but if anyone has anything definitive...

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Sorry. I should have been clearer. The audio button on the remote doesn't reveal the tracks (often Dolby 2.0). The on-screen menu can be selected as 'on' but it doesn't work. I guess its something to do with my Oppo's audio output settings. I'll have a play around, but if anyone has anything definitive...
You're not getting much response to your question. I'd suggest making it a separate thread.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield

I don't have an Oppo, but sometimes this issue has to do with the BD Audio Mix setting. You may want to play with that.

KeithDA

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Keith
I don't have an Oppo, but sometimes this issue has to do with the BD Audio Mix setting. You may want to play with that.
I’ve found that setting the audio to ‘secondary audio on’ on the Oppo allows me to chose ‘play with commentary’ from the disc’s menu. Having just read the review of series 7, it might have the same issue and I have yet to see what impact this Oppo choice has on other audio playback. As Todd says in his review, the discs could have been authored better...

KeithDA

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Keith
I just received the 'Valerian' 4K disc for Christmas and watched it last night. The biggest surprise was the Dolby Vision logo that came up on my LG screen (the cover of the disc has no reference to DV at all) showing that my Oppo – Denon- Oled combo is now all compatible. A bit of research this morning shows that Valerian is the first disc in my collection with DV and I presume the Oppo defaults to DV as the ‘best’ HDR version? The first scenes of the film with the ‘pearlescent-skinned' characters certainly do look impressive.
I am surprised that the advertising on the back of the pack only says 'HDR' and not what version.....

Last edited:

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Yes, the UDP-203 will default to Dolby Vision if the disc is encoded with it, and there's no way to choose HDR10 instead. DV is what you get with a DV disc.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I don't have a 203/205, but in considering buying one, I've been reading owner comments at another forum for several weeks. They seem to suggest that there is a setting on the Oppo you can set that will force HDR10 from the disc rather than DV if you'd rather view the disc in that mode.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Interesting info Matt, thanks. I know that initially this ability wasn't available, but it's possible that a subsequent firmware update changed that. I'll have to dig through my setting tonight and see if I can find anything.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gemini007
Recent bookmarks