What's new

Claus H

Auditioning
Real Name
Claus
Hi All,
I just signed on, and I am currently awaiting delivery of the 203 region-free model. Wasn't planning on buying this so soon, but:
Long story short, our lovely 58-inch Panny Viera plasma developed a very noisy transformer, and despite heroic efforts, no fix to be had. The Oppo is the advance step towards an LG OLED 65-inch upgrade, with the 203 intended to replace my SACD player, my PS3, my FLAC streaming box and my current international player. It is exciting, my first Oppo and OLED the horizon, even if my wallet wasn't exactly ready for both :)

I look forward to reading more about the Oppo and other things here; I love what I have seen already.

Claus.

Greg Krewet

Premium
Supporter
Raul, have you gone into each player's Device Setup and told it which codeset to respond to?
That route still didn't work for me as I'm still having that same issue with my Oppo players.
Robert I am having the same exact problem with my brand new Oppo remote. It worked for 2 days but will not except a signal now I can turn it on play it manually and play but the 202 will not accept. I am reasonably sure it got set to IR2. It still will turn on the earlier DVD Oppo and control that but not the new one. I called the dealer and they said that i may have to change it out for a new model when they get them back in stock. If you find a solution please post. Hopefully we can find a way that the 2 units can receive different IR signals. By the way it was your decision to upgrade your TV set earlier this week that made me also upgrade to a Sony55930D, The new Oppo and the Bose Soundtouch. I don't post much but I read your every posts daily. I have tremendous respect for your contributions to this forum and double dipping on purchasing all of your recommended 4k releases. I am just about ready to view the new version of Great Gatesby. Hopefully you also be taking a look at it. Please keep posting your thoughts.
Best
Greg

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Robert I am having the same exact problem with my brand new Oppo remote. It worked for 2 days but will not except a signal now I can turn it on play it manually and play but the 202 will not accept. I am reasonably sure it got set to IR2. It still will turn on the earlier DVD Oppo and control that but not the new one. I called the dealer and they said that i may have to change it out for a new model when they get them back in stock. If you find a solution please post. Hopefully we can find a way that the 2 units can receive different IR signals. By the way it was your decision to upgrade your TV set earlier this week that made me also upgrade to a Sony55930D, The new Oppo and the Bose Soundtouch. I don't post much but I read your every posts daily. I have tremendous respect for your contributions to this forum and double dipping on purchasing all of your recommended 4k releases. I am just about ready to view the new version of Great Gatesby. Hopefully you also be taking a look at it. Please keep posting your thoughts.
Best
Greg
Greg,

Thank you for those kind words. Also, the more 4K/UHD titles I watched, the more i want to double-dip on purchasing more of those 4K/UHD titles.:)

Greg Krewet

Premium
Supporter
Greg,

Thank you for those kind words. Also, the more 4K/UHD titles I watched, the more i want to double-dip on purchasing more of those 4K/UHD titles.:)
So True, although I could not bring myself to buy Pacific Rim again. I did order Everest while the price is down and also Tarzan based on your recommendation. Best

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
That's a shame Greg, because the 4K UHD release of Pacific Rim is practically reference material and IMO anyway, very worthy of a repurchase.

Raul Marquez

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Raul H. Marquez, MD
That route still didn't work for me as I'm still having that same issue with my Oppo players.
Robert,

On the My Harmony app on my Mac I changed the player's (203) Device Setup as suggested. It prompted me to have the Oppo remote (on which I had selected the "2" code on the battery compartment) and asked me to press the power button while aiming it less than 3 inches from the Harmony remote. Did it and everything's fine now. Raul

Greg Krewet

Premium
Supporter
That's a shame Greg, because the 4K UHD release of Pacific Rim is practically reference material and IMO anyway, very worthy of a repurchase.
Ok You have convinced me. Amazon gets an order of Pacific Rim and in The Heart of Darkness. Have now bought 16 titles. Unfortunately it takes so much less time to buy then then view them. Thanks for all you do

Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Robert,

On the My Harmony app on my Mac I changed the player's (203) Device Setup as suggested. It prompted me to have the Oppo remote (on which I had selected the "2" code on the battery compartment) and asked me to press the power button while aiming it less than 3 inches from the Harmony remote. Did it and everything's fine now. Raul
I tried that and it still doesn't work with it. I might end up deleting that activity and devices and then reload them again.

zubinh

Auditioning
Real Name
Joey
Raul - I have the same receiver as you do the Yamaha RX-A2060. Have you noticed any audio dropouts or video stuttering while paying 4K UHD Discs with the UDP-203? Thanks!

Raul Marquez

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Raul H. Marquez, MD
Raul - I have the same receiver as you do the Yamaha RX-A2060. Have you noticed any audio dropouts or video stuttering while paying 4K UHD Discs with the UDP-203? Thanks!
Have you performed the latest firmware upgrade? Also some discs (notably DEEPWATER HORIZON) have playback issues with this player. I still think we need 2 or 3 more firmware upgrades to fix various issues as has been mentioned extensively on other websites.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Have you performed the latest firmware upgrade? Also some discs (notably DEEPWATER HORIZON) have playback issues with this player. I still think we need 2 or 3 more firmware upgrades to fix various issues as has been mentioned extensively on other websites.
I might try this disc in the near future.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Is this player region free? I might consider it if it allows me to play my R2 DVDs, as well as region free playback of all current Blu-ray formats.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Is this player region free? I might consider it if it allows me to play my R2 DVDs, as well as region free playback of all current Blu-ray formats.
Some have stated you can use the same MOD kit that the 103 uses for Region free playback.

dpippel

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
You can indeed. The $58 external mod kit offered by several eBay sellers for the 103/103D works perfectly fine with the 203. There's no need to spend $100 on the "dedicated" 203 kit.

dpippel

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I don't think so Mike, but it's pretty simple. The external kit plugs into the RS-232 and USB #2 ports on the back of the UDP-203. You change DVD/Blu-ray regions by a series of keypresses on the remote. If you have a universal remote you can just program a macro for regions A, B, and C to make the operation work with a single button press. Here's a link to the kit I bought, which is exactly the same unit I used for 2 years with my BDP-103:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/162101335749?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
You don't need to open the unit at all?

That'd be cool.

If I had a nickel for every time a member told me I need a region-free player... :laugh:

Thanks, Doug.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
You don't need to open the unit at all?

That'd be cool.

If I had a nickel for every time a member told me I need a region-free player... :laugh:

Thanks, Doug.
Mike,

I have the same kit on my Oppo 103 and a similar one on my Oppo 93. You don't need to open the unit at all!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks