What's new

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I feel your pain.
Yeah, but that pain from previous formats finally changed my purchasing behavior for this 4K/UHD and Dolby Atmos formats. I have such a player, but I'm taking my time purchasing such a display or receiver to process these formats. My next display has to be able to HDR and Dolby Vision compliant. The player currently able to process Dolby Vision, but has the necessary technology needed installed, it just needs a firmware update for Dolby Vision.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Hey, Dave!

It definitely sounds like we've had similar experiences.

I'm using both remotes. I've been getting mileage out of the * key and, unless I'm missing something, it can't be programmed into my Harmony remote/app/hub.

I cannot imagine there's a key that is not programmable into a Harmony remote. I'm pretty sure I've read that pretty much any function can be learned--one way or another. But unfortunately, I'm not the expert on that.

I was just looking at the manual to see what the * key was for. So I then found the "Pure Audio" button. That might be one I'd use. We're gonna have to find out about that.

Okay, here's my question. When skipping tracks on CDs and SACDs this player almost always clips the first fraction of a second on my player. Do you have that issue? I suspect it happens on DVD-As, as well, but don't play them as often. This has been my only frustration (well, dropping HDCD support is also minor annoyance). I suspect this is a baked-in problem since I seem to recall the 93 doing it also.

That's amazing that you brought that up...because it is a problem I used to have with my former player (the Pioneer Elite 62FD). If I felt I needed to hear that first second of audio, I use to have to hit the rewind button to start things over. But not with this player. Isn't that odd that it's a problem for you and my new player has actually solved the same problem for me? I will suspect that one of our gearheads will be able to chime in with an easy settings solution to your problem. Let's see.

When going into settings, under Network, consider adjusting BD-Live Network Access. My understanding is that "Limited" should prevent things like Universal trailers slowing down load times without impairing things like firmware updates and CD artwork.

I'll definitely look into that. I cannot imagine there's any BD-Live content I'm going to want to access. I just figured I'd connect it for firmware updates and see what else having the player connected to my network might bring.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you, too! :D

JRR

Auditioning
Real Name
Jamie RIchardson
It's all in place! :D

Should I be thinking about re-calibrating the video and audio of my system with the change in players?

:laugh:

In a word... Yes!

Mike, I've been a long time lurker on the site, and always appreciated the amazing job you do with the roundup, so I'm hoping I can give some info back in return.

I'm in the same position having the oppo 203 and a 1080p display ( projector). I would say learning what color depth is supported by your TV would be seriously worth exploring.

In my case, my projector supports 10 bit color, which led me to change some settings on the oppo. When playing a 4k disc, holding the info button for 5 secs will provide in depth data about the signal source from the oppo. Your TV has an info button as well to see what it is receiving. The oppo manual and the TV manual helped me get this far. Your TV should have some setting to enable 10 bit color, but it may have some marketing name.

If you are playing 4K and downscaling, this means the oppo will be outputting bt2020 color space vs rec709. Even downscaled, colors should look better due to the expanded color space. I set my output resolution to 1080p auto, since the scaler in the oppo is superior to the one in my projector for dvd. The oppo can do the heavy lifting and it looks great. I left color space set to auto, and in my case, color depth to 10 bit. My projector can accept 12 bit, but the panel natively accepts 10 and the content is in 10, so nothing gained there.

I ended up doing a quick recalibration of my projector using a blu ray (rec709) ( not much change) and then I set picture settings in the oppo to keep a picture setting which I calibrated for bt2020. There were differences. There aren't 4K calibration discs, so you will need to download 4k colorspace calibration files from the web. Time to dust off that USB stick...

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I'm using both remotes. I've been getting mileage out of the * key and, unless I'm missing something, it can't be programmed into my Harmony remote/app/hub.

Dave: I don't have time right now to do more research, but I have always found RemoteCentral.com to be a very helpful place in terms ofr finding out how to get the most of your Harmony remote. How to program functions, for example, that don't automatically get ported over during routine set-up (that are important to you).

I'm in the same position having the oppo 203 and a 1080p display ( projector). I would say learning what color depth is supported by your TV would be seriously worth exploring.

Thanks to you both for your kind words. One of the things I love best about the HTF is the way members come together to help each other out by sharing their unique knowledge about any given subject area.

I am not a smart cookie in terms of technical video issues. A lot of what you wrote is already over my head. :huh: THIS is the spec sheet for my display (the 55" model in Panasonic's ST50 plasma line). HERE is the Amazon listing (which outlines a number of spec features). Since I don't see the numbers which reflect what you're talking about, I guess I'm going to have to stretch my brain a bit more and do some more research. :D

JRR

Auditioning
Real Name
Jamie RIchardson
Since I don't see the numbers which reflect what you're talking about, I guess I'm going to have to stretch my brain a bit more and do some more research.

It looks like your display supports the following input signals:

Supports 48bpp........... No
Supports 36bpp........... Yes
Supports 30bpp........... Yes
Supports YCbCr 4:4:4..... Yes

So it supports 10 and 12 bit input, but unfortunately this doesn't say anything about what the panel actually natively supports. I'll see what I can find.

Using a 10 bit gradient test pattern would be able to show if your panel is not only accepting a 10 bit signal, but also if its doing the right thing on the panel by displaying it.

A MUCH less scientific method would be to flip to 10 bit and see if the Panasonic experiences dithering.

JRR

Auditioning
Real Name
Jamie RIchardson
DVE currently doesn't have them. The folks over at AVSforum have posted a few:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B68...ew?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B68...ew?usp=sharing

10 Bit Gradient Test Patterns (HEVC)

Download the files onto a USB stick formatted FAT ( sorry no Mac love from oppo, lol ) and then play them, or look at the still images if they aren't video tests. Look for dithering in the patterns. If they are smooth, then keep it set to 10 bit color. If you do some hunting online, you will find a ton of 4k calibration images and short videos. Just load them up on your USB stick and use the patterns in a similar way as DVE- set in the same order.

Last edited:

Dave S.G.

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David
Sorry for the lag. I'm a born lurker... and forgetful!
Hey, Dave!

It definitely sounds like we've had similar experiences.

I cannot imagine there's a key that is not programmable into a Harmony remote. I'm pretty sure I've read that pretty much any function can be learned--one way or another. But unfortunately, I'm not the expert on that.

I was just looking at the manual to see what the * key was for. So I then found the "Pure Audio" button. That might be one I'd use. We're gonna have to find out about that.
I don't have it in front of me but I'd describe it as quick access key to toggling many basic settings (like 3D). I'm new to the Hub-based Harmony so I'm outta my depth. My understanding is that the 203 programming was pretty much the 103/105 ported to the new model number. If that's the case then the * and the HDR/SDR toggle wouldn't have been in the database when I ran set up. I don't know if such features would be added automatically with an update on their servers or if I'd have to manually remove and re-add the Oppo into Harmony. So far I'm just rolling with it. This is a hobby, not something I stress over.
That's amazing that you brought that up...because it is a problem I used to have with my former player (the Pioneer Elite 62FD). If I felt I needed to hear that first second of audio, I use to have to hit the rewind button to start things over. But not with this player. Isn't that odd that it's a problem for you and my new player has actually solved the same problem for me? I will suspect that one of our gearheads will be able to chime in with an easy settings solution to your problem. Let's see.

Interesting. It's this issue (and a Blu-ray audio that worked last night but not today) that prompted me to write Oppo about this issue -- and that in turn reminded my absent-minded gray matter sponge that I hadn't checked in here. Anyhow, I'll scan below later to see (I'm responding before catching up -- never smart! There's another gearhead forum with a thread on the Oppo. I haven't checked in there lately since there's a flood of "dude, upgrade your HDMI to an 18gb cable) posts. Figured I'd wait till that dies down and search again. Besides, this place is less stressful!

I'll definitely look into that. I cannot imagine there's any BD-Live content I'm going to want to access. I just figured I'd connect it for firmware updates and see what else having the player connected to my network might bring.

I have a few old discs where I'd like to check out the BD-Live features that I could never get to work. I forget the disc, but one had a video director's commentary I couldn't get to work. Of course, I've never gotten PIP features to work right -- I never get the audio. Something more to futz with when I'm bored.
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you, too! :D

Christmas? Hey, man happy January 18th, whatever that is. Apologies in advance for the next (almost certain) lag. Cheers, sir!

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I don't know if such features would be added automatically with an update on their servers or if I'd have to manually remove and re-add the Oppo into Harmony. So far I'm just rolling with it. This is a hobby, not something I stress over.

It's not hard to add the 203 to your list of devices and then sub it for the 103 or whatever your old player was in the Harmony software.

Maybe that'll be an easy fix for ya. I'll try to remember when I'm home to check what functions are available under the device settings for the 203 on my remote.

And I'm totally with you on the "forgetful" front. That's what Post-It notes are for!

post-it.jpg

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
I have not even bothered updating my Harmony remote from the 103D to the 203 (or for that matter I moved the 103D to the bedroom where I had a 93 and still have the programming set up on that Harmony for the 93). I'll do it eventually. I have not run into a problem so far on the limited use for the past 4 weeks.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
The last official firmware (UDP20X-33-1229) was released on 1/19 and was the former public beta that addressed several issues, including dropped frames on 24p content. There's currently another, non-public beta which came out about a week ago that resolves the 3D dropped frames issue, but you have to specifically request it from Oppo Support and it can only be installed via USB/disc.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
The last official firmware (UDP20X-33-1229) was released on 1/19 and was the former public beta that addressed several issues, including dropped frames on 24p content. There's currently another, non-public beta which came out about a week ago that resolves the 3D dropped frames issue, but you have to specifically request it from Oppo Support and it can only be installed via USB/disc.
That's the firmware I updated with this morning. Again, I haven't had any issues with 3-D so far.

dpippel

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Word has it that another public beta release is imminent. The good thing about beta firmware on Oppo players is that you can always revert to a previous version if you encounter problems. You can't do this with official released firmware.

Raul Marquez

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Raul H. Marquez, MD
I want to keep both the 103 and the 203 in my system. I changed the switch on the 203 remote to the "2" position so that it is different from the 103. I set up the the 203 on the Harmony as a different activity "Watch OPPO 4kUHD". When selecting this, the 103 turns on and the 203 does not. All inputs are set correctly. What am I doing wrong?

Raul

dpippel

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Raul, have you gone into each player's Device Setup and told it which codeset to respond to?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks