Premium
Senior HTF Member
full

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Another nail in the coffin for physical media.Try to find a laptop or desktop PC with a built in optical media drive. How much longer will Netflix be renting discs? Technology, which used to be our friend, is now turning against us. Who will buy a physical media player when all the latest 4K TV's offer streaming services built into them? 3D is now all but dead in the USA. "Twilight Time" certainly picked an appropriate name for their company. How sad.

I guess I always knew that home theater was destined to be a niche market. The masses will always be attracted to convenience over quality. The pictures coming out of my HD cable box look very pretty... Until something moves faster than a brisk walk. Then compression artifacts rear their ugly head.

Fortunately, my 2 Oppo 93's are still spinning away, producing beautiful images and sound. Hopefully, they will continue to do so, even into the dark times.
Last summer I was working with a supreme idiot. When speaking of physical media, he said that he only streams and that he couldn't tell the difference. I then asked him what it was that he had been comparing it to. He replied, "Nothing, I don't need to". What's even more reflective of the populace is that he, himself, is quite popular and always "factually" adamant about many other topics to which he has never explored.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
and always "factually" adamant about many other topics to which he has never explored.
You could say those attitudes affect many areas of current society. People know what they know and they're not willing to consider they might be wrong, or that there might be another point of view.

Reactions: PMF

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Last summer I was working with a supreme idiot. When speaking of physical media, he said that he only streams and that he couldn't tell the difference. I then asked him what it was that he had been comparing it to. He replied, "Nothing, I don't need to". What's even more reflective of the populace is that he, himself, is quite popular and always "factually" adamant about many other topics to which he has never explored.

(Without getting heavily into politics).

Every factual objection of this type ^ is negated easily with "In Your Opinion ..." type responses, on either side. This is completely regardless of any semi-objective empirical data + tests.

It is impossible to argue anything against individuals which employ "In Your Opinion ..." type of subjective responses repeatedly, both figurative and literally.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
(Without getting heavily into politics).

Every factual objection of this type ^ is negated easily with "In Your Opinion ..." type responses, on either side. This is completely regardless of any semi-objective empirical data + tests.

It is impossible to argue anything against individuals which employ "In Your Opinion ..." type of subjective responses repeatedly, both figurative and literally.
Did you mean...OPPOnion?:rolleyes:

Reed Grele

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Reed Grele

The supreme idiots adage: "Don't confuse me with the facts, my mind is made up!"

Jonathan Perregaux

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jonathan Perregaux
I just got my 203, plugged it in, and love it.

Back when my plasma blew up with a literal bang, I got a Black Friday 2016 LG C6. I’ve had it attached to a PlayStation 4 (and no streaming), so I’ve been sitting out UHD HDR. Now I can see DolbyVision! And such a noticeably improved upscaler compared to the PS4, especially for DVDs.

I did try putting in an HD-DVD, just in case, but it wouldn’t play.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
The problem with buying these players now is that they will never be able to support HDR10+.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks