What's new

Opinions on Marantz MM-9000 (1 Viewer)

Jeremy Hegna

Supporting Actor
Hello all,

I just stopped by my local B&M to kill some time at lunch and they're having a Marantz sale. $799 for this 5x150 amplifier. I'm curious if anyone has any opinions on this piece....good or bad. They don't have it hooked up to any gear, so I didn't get to hear it. They don't sell B&W, which is what I have for speakers...so I don't know if it makes that much difference as to whether I heard it or not. I may be able to take it home over the weekend for an audition...but I'd like to get your take on this piece.

There are many choices for amplification on the market and I'm in no hurry to buy. I'm very happy with my current set-up, but I know that by bi-amping my front speakers, it would only sound better.

My gear....

Denon 5800

B&W 604s in front, LCR 6 center, 602s rear, and DS6 back.

I would be bi-wiring/bi-amping the 604s and the remaining channel would go to the front center....with the 5800 taking care of surround duty.

Thanks for your thoughts,

Jeremy

Jeremy Hegna

Supporting Actor
Someone, somewhere, has to know something about this amp. Is it a POS? a bargain? a joke?:)
Any info, greatly appreciated.
Jeremy

I've heard this amp in several different settings and it's a sweet piece for that money. I've seen it a little cheaper online but $800 from B&M is a pretty good price.

It's not going to part your hair and send you running from the room but it's very smooth and very musical. It's one of the better sounding "inexpensive" multichannel amps I've heard. I don't mean to downplay it's soundtrack abilities because it's very good, I just remember is musical tones.

Dan

Jeremy Hegna

Supporting Actor
Thanks fellas,

I think a better question would be on how it compare to the amps in its class...like the Rotel 1075 and the smaller Parasound....1205(?) maybe? I've been considering the bigger of the Rotels and Parasounds...the 1095 and the 2205, however this price is one that is hard to pass up. I know that the 1095 and 2205 are 50 and 70 watts higher rated, but it seems insignificant when you're talking 300-400 watts in the bi-amp configuration.

If this Marantz compares well with the others, I think this will be the one...if not, the search continues.

Jeremy

Legairre

Supporting Actor
Ah Jeremy you hit a note with me. I spent a lot of time auditioning the 1095 and the 2205. Two great amps. Which ever one of these you go for. You won't be disappointed. To me they both sounded the same. Both have real nice detail and tight bass. I haven't listened to the 1075 or 1205, but I'm a big fan of Parasound and Rotel, so I'm kind of biased. IMO close your eyes and flip a coin. Which ever one you pick it will be a great choice. :emoji_thumbsup:
Here's a link with some 2205 prices. Rotels aren't sold online(dealers only). I got my 1095 for $1700.00, but I have heard of people getting the 1095 for as low as $1600.00.
Link Removed
Link Removed
Link Removed

Jeremy Hegna

Supporting Actor
Legairre,

I agree, they are both nice...I prefer the Rotel with the B&Ws, but the Parasound sounds very nice with Paradigm...a speaker I considered when I ended up with the B&Ws.

I think I'm going to try to audition the Marantz over the weekend...maybe even see if I can get a Rotel from the other dealer in town so I can do a side by side. That makes the most sense.

$1600 is a very nice price for the 1095 and I'm willing to pay it if I can't get near it's sound with the Marantz. $800 seems like a bargain for a 5 channel amp and the reviews at audioreview seem favorable.

Jeremy

Legairre

Supporting Actor
Jeremy,

I'd have to agree with you. If the Marantz is even 80% of the sound of the Rotel. I'd save to extra $800 or $900 and take the Marantz.

Jeremy Hegna

Supporting Actor
I agree...

It's hard to believe no one has one of these amps. As popular as the little Marantz mono-blocks are, the 500, 6100, and 700....you would think someone has the 9000. My local Rotel dealer does not have the 1095 in stock, so I will have to get a comparable Rotel amp...hopefully he has the 1075. Do a little A/B Jaleel type comparison this weekend...see if I can hear any differences. In fact, I'm curious as to the difference between the seperate amps and those of the Denon....should be fun.

Jeremy

Phil M

Stunt Coordinator
Jeremy:

I have the Rotel 1075 mated with Paradigm Studio 40's and I like the sound very much. To me the newer 1075 and 1095 Rotels have a smoother top end compared to Rotels amps from a couple years ago. I also found many positive reviews on the 1075 at ecoustics.com and all of the reviewers found that it had plenty of power. I paid $900.00 for mine from my local dealer and couldn't justify the added expense of the 1095 at twice that. For the cost savings I can buy a good 2 channel amp to complete a 7.1 set-up. (or another 1075!)

Phil

Frank Frandsen

Stunt Coordinator
Jeremy,

I have a mm9000 I use to power my side and rear surrounds. My main amp is a Sherbourn 5/1500 that is alot more powerful but the marantz keeps up with it well. I previously was using Acurus Amps and can say the mm9000 sounds better. I was having a problem with the amp shutting down that I attributed to it. After investigation I found one of my speaker wires was damage and there was a short at high wattage. I was happy that the saftey feature was in the marantz. The Marantz runs very cool and has a fan that I never heard running. It also has 5 cool looking blue LEDs that light up at clipping and another one to let you know power is on. There are also five output level controls on the rear which is a nice feature to have.

The downside of the amp is it does not have traditional five way binding post but some all plastic things that at first appear not to accept bannana plugs. After researching this I found out that they block this connection to allow the unit to be sold in other countries and that the binding coverings can be remove by drilling a screw into it and pulling it off. Another downside is connecting a 12 volt trigger. It does not explain how to connect one but instead tells you to contact Marantz for info. There is, however, some Marantz triggering connection for use with their equipment.

overall I am satisfied with the product . It is one of the best values in a five channel amp and I know because I checked around alot before purchasing. I purchased a refurbished unit from accessories for less delivered for under $700. They are a authorized Marantz dealer and the unit comes with a one year warranty.

Frank

Phil M

Stunt Coordinator
No, I never brought the 9000 home for a listen. I guess I relied on all of the positive reviews before the purchase and brought the 1075 home for a week-end listen and compared it to my HK PA 5800 amp. Needless to say.. I've already sold the HK.

Phil

Jeremy Hegna

Supporting Actor
Thanks Frank,

So you cannot hook up a 12 volt trigger unless the pre/pro is Marantz? Or have you had success using the trigger with other products?

Thanks,

Jer

Frank Frandsen

Stunt Coordinator
I am using the switched outlet on my monster power hts 2500 to power it up. There is a rca jack for the trigger. I believe if you conect the trigger from your pre/pro to this jack it would be no problem. My problem was my pre/pro has a 1/4 minijack plug so I would have to get a minijack to rca wire.

Frank

TomH

Second Unit
The price is nothing special. The local authorized dealer here was clearing them out for less. Check Audioreview to see what people have paid. Also, I was concerned about its low impedance capability.

Tom

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks