What's new

Onkyo vs. Jbl? (1 Viewer)

NarendraSharma

Auditioning
I'm new to the whole HT thing, cuz I just bought the Sony KP-46wt500, and now I'm thinkin of getting a surround sound system to complete my dvd experience.

The only thing is that my budget is not as flexible as i want it to be(cuz of the TV!)

Now for my questions:

Does Onkyo actually make good speakers?

Because I'm lookin at the HTS660 or HTS650 HTiB, and they both are less than $500, which seems like a good deal. And if this is a good system, then i want it.

Then theres the JBL NSP1II speaker package, with the PB12 sub, OR the SCS150SI. With JBL, i was leaning towards a Yamaha receiver.

The only reason I'm lookin at the more expensive JBL speakers + receiver package is because I can get those two brands at a discount.

What I want to know if is it worth paying a little more for the JBL+Yamaha deal, or should I just stick to the Onkyo stuff and enjoy a basic surround system??

Or does anyone else recommend a good set of speakers or a HTiB to start off with for less than $800?

Thanks!

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
Unless you're willing to DIY I'd go with JBL and Yamaha combo. If the place you can get the discount carries it, also consider mating the JBL's with a Harman Kardon receiver.

If you can DIY I'd build five of these:

http://www.speakerpage.com/K05B50.htm

and a sub using the 120W plate amp and a Dayton DVC12 driver from Parts Express.

NarendraSharma

Auditioning
yea DIY is a little too advanced to me right now...
i just want something to get me going thats not going to be crappy..
and i dont think i can get a HK receiver because the place doesnt carry them.

I noticed on your site you had a JBL center.

How is the video shielding on it? I've read somewhere that it has caused discoloration on some tv's. Also how big is it?

Any other suggestions?

Thanks

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
Narendra,

Onkyo makes an "okay" speaker for the money. But in my
opinion JBL would certainly be a much better way to go.

By the way, did you ever live/work in Pennsylvania? There
is (or was?) a Narendra Sharma that works for the company
I work for.

Bill_Wil

Stunt Coordinator
Those Onkyo HTIB's have had very good reviews and also many forum members are happy with them.

As far as the JBL's go they would also be good but there have been many complaints about the N-center causing distortion do to shielding issues.

BrianMe

Stunt Coordinator
I have the Onkyo speakers. I have an Onkyo TX-SR 600 receiver. I swapped out the Onkyo sub for an SVS 20-39 PC+. The Onkyo sub is "okay" and is decent for the price (retails for $150). My 20-39 is significantly out of your price range, but man what an upgrade!

The Onkyo speakers are very good for the money, in my opinion. I'm no true audio/videophile, but if you're looking in this price range, you probably aren't either. For the money, the Onkyo's are probably the best you can buy. The reviews on them are tremendous. I've turned them WAY up and the sound is excellent. They have very good imaging, and not at all tinny like some of the smaller speakers.

The downside on the Onkyo's is their size, especially the rear channels. They are pretty large, and I think much larger than the JBLs you are looking at.

I can't comment on the Yamaha/JBL combo, but I suspect most people will recommend going that route. The JBL speakers I've heard have always been top notch.

My recommendation, if you have the extra money, go the Yama/JBL combo. If you want to save a few bucks and get some really damn good speakers, get the Onkyo's. I'm very, very happy with them.

Brian

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
My stuff is all Studio series not the Northridge. My roommate has the same center as me on top of his 27" Sony direct view with no problems and it causes no problems with my RPTV.

The S-Center is quite a bit larger than the N-Center.

Dimension and weight info on all JBL's speakers is available here:

http://www.jbl.com/home/products/default.asp

NarendraSharma

Auditioning
Hey,

Nope i'm still in college, so yea never worked in pennsylvania.

After reading a few things and considering the price, I'm leaning towards the Onkyo, even though i know that the JBL/Yamaha would be a better overall system.

Does anyone know exactly what kind of receiver comes in the onkyo packages anyway?

Also, what is this I am now reading about insuffiecient shielding for the L/R speakers??

Now would it be bootleg to have the center channel not sit on top of the tv? I thought i saw a set-up where that speaker was on the floor directly in front of the tv, but wouldnt that change the overall quality of the sound?

Sorry for the insane amount of questions!

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
Putting your speaker ontop of the TV hurts that sound more than it helps. If you can place the center on a stand in front of the TV, do it.

Mark Russ

Second Unit
joe rizzuto the onkyo speakers are made by polk audio.

Joe, how do you know that? I just bought a Onkyo micro system, and the speakers have a little sticker on the back of them that says "made in Malaysia". I'm pretty sure Polk doesn't have a factory there.

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
Dustin,

If it's placed correctly it does not hurt the sound. I get
a seamless L/C/R with a wide sweet spot. But I do have my
Center toed down and the center's baffle is flush with the
edge of the TV..

BrianMe

Stunt Coordinator
Polk does not make Onkyo speakers. Don't know where that info comes in.

The newer Onkyo HTIB systems are carrying the TXSR501 (not sure of the package designations off the top of my head). The 501 is much improved over the 500. The 500 includes more watts, a 6th channel, and I think HD video switching. I have the 600 and like it so far.

joe rizzuto

Stunt Coordinator
i've read on several forums about owners taking the backs off of their onkyo speakers and they are stamped polk.

MikeNagy

Stunt Coordinator
Brian means the 501 has more watts, a 6th channel, etc.

I have the HT-S650 which I paid $500 for over a year ago. I've since moved on to better gear for my HT, but I still use the Onkyo system in my bedroom and I still really like it. Especially for the price. I've never liked how the JBL's I've heard (the cheaper ones) are more forward and "clear" (read: bright) sounding...The onkyo's are a little more laid back and warm sounding, but not muddy.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks